ok, a real drum-related question. funk? latin? HELP!!

cdawg

• Members

after recently watching Calle 54 (thanks netflix,) i've been thinking more about breaking from the rock/metal attitude i've been in for quite some time.

my past studies had me into funk studies, so i don't think i'm totally stupid, and i can struggle through charts (haven't read in a while.) but, my love has had me into the heavy stuff. my old instructor had me into funk (latham,) to free up my limbs, and i enjoyed it a ton.

anyway, i'm interested in rhythms that would keep my feet going while my hands are open to improvise. i instantly think about latin stuff, clave, bossa-nova, etc.

i guess i'm looking to adapt these styles into a heavier style, which i know has been done, but not in the way i'm thinking.

if anyone can steer me in a good direction, i'd appreciate it.

• Members

yeah, i'm a volta fan, and i love his work, but he really didn't play anything i can't. keep in mind, there are a lot of other percussive elements going on there as well, besides theodore.

i'm not really looking for an explanation on how to apply, just an introduction to more advanced studies of latin, i guess.

• Members

Right on. Without looking up all the differences between sambas, mambos, bossas, etc.. Practice keeping the ostinato with your kick X--XX--XX--XX--X with your hats doing 2 and 4 or all 4's, this will pretty much get you through any latin tune. You just need to find where the accents support the music.

• Members

^^ the most incredible pianist i've seen in a long time, btw. he blew my mind!!

i digress...

(p.s. figures, i have two discs of his, neither of which with weckl or rosenblatt. el negro is no slouch, tho.)

• Members

The best ideas I can give you are to start to build independence first. You have to be able to play confidently and effectively placing any limb with any other. If you read, I suggest Ron Spagnardi's "Progressive Independence" or even the old Drummer's Cookbook. Those two really start to build groove and chop independence. If it's a video or other type learning tool, listen to any of the masters...Stubblefield, Starks, Modeleste...any of James' drummers. That's where Garibaldi had his ears...IMO

• Members

That is a great video, thanks 1001!

For me, I just decided to try to learn basic rudiments with my feet, then charted basic 8ths (RRRR) with my hands over the top, then basic 16ths (RLRL) over the top, and go back and forth, For example, doing paradiddles, flamadiddles, flamacues etc, with your feet and after developing basic 8ths and 16ths with the hands just starting jamming a little. The trick with the feet in doing patterns is learning to set the beat and forget it. I'm sure there are plenty of books that would help, but I'm basically a lazy learner.

• Members

YES!!

good advice, folks! i started to warm-up with stick control (with my feet,) and got more into syncopation. this will keep me busy for a bit. switching between hat and double pedal also adds some different flavor, especially when i coincide the hat closing with stick accents (if that makes any sense.)

carm, i will check out progressive independence. don't know that one. and have found good luck finding these books used, and cheap, on abebooks.com.

1001... heh, that video needed to be around here. hope people who never heard of these cats watch it.

Archived