ot, brain work...

cdawg

• Members

i have graciously covered externals.

there's this little thing called "the suspension of disbelief." i assumed we were all able to get to a point where we could explore things a bit deeper.

anything is possible with an open mind.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i restate:

what is your (the general "your") consideration about the progress of the self, or being, throughout one's life, in respect to what remains intact from birth to death? i think i'm basically the same person i've been since i was since i was three, at least. (this is as far back as i can remember.) through this deduction, i assume i was the same person from birth, as well.

• Members

I think you mis understand on my first point. Yes people cannot "correct" for obvious psychological chemical imbalances that will cause things like which you suffer. Bi Polar, Schizophrenia etc... That is where the science comes in to help people deal with it through medication. All I was saying is there ARE documented cases of people who have enlarged frontal lobes who did NOT turn out to be serial killers or criminals of any sort. I believe that is nurture. Environment not leading them to the path that would trigger their pre condition.

On the second point..chomsky never said that..I did. And sorry but I think we pretty much can prove it. Or at least support the theory better than the counter argument. One need only look at child psychology experiments to see that not only are babies NOT self aware, but they also have nearly no sense of reality of the physical world as well. Ever play "peek a boo" with an infant? The reason they laugh so much is that they actually think you're head disappears when it goes behind your hand. Babies will crawl off ledges without knowing it when their mothers call them. (they put glass at the edge so they don't really fall.)

You said you don't remember anything before three. Probably NONE of us do. There is a reason for that.

When we come into the world we are all total blank slates. I know this is hard for many to accept. But whatever. That's not my problem. I look at evidence and base my opinions on what theory is supported by the most evidence.

• Members

sound, ok.

i restate:

what is your (the general "your") consideration about the progress of the self, or being, throughout one's life, in respect to what remains intact from birth to death? i think i'm basically the same person i've been since i was since i was three, at least. (this is as far back as i can remember.) through this deduction, i assume i was the same person from birth, as well.

if no one wants to play anymore, let the thread die. i was looking for discussion on this one point. and nobody addressed it. that's ok.

• Members

I think I'm a product of the things I've brought with me along the way. The things I've done, the things I've learned, etc., make me the person I am. Time has an affect too, but it's hard to measure. The three years I spent in the US Army in Korea and Vietnam, and all I experienced in those places definitely had an influence on who I am. I think a lifetime of drumming has helped to form who I am as well. Then there are the things that change forever like family, the things that used to be like family and jobs that are gone forever. The things I dream about. The people I know and the people I knew. They all play a part in who I am. But that's just me.

• Members

you can only go forward based on your life experiences....no "do-overs"....but in the same respect those "do-overs" could change your life even MORE differently than where you are now.

i've done (as we all have) some SERIOUSLY stupid things in my life, but it led me to where i am now, and i don't think i would want to change anything in my life if it would have drastically changed anything in my present life, if you know what i mean...i hope!! :)

no, my life's not perfect, but i wouldn't change where i am with my family for all the riches in the world!!!

• Members

no, my life's not perfect, but i wouldn't change where i am with my family for all the riches in the world!!!

i might. seriously.

i love my family, and as some of you know, they've been very helpful to me recently. but the idea of having a {censored}load of money, and the ability to use said money to help thousands of people is an attractive idea. my selfish need for family isn't as important as someone else's need to eat or have a home. just my thought.

• Members

sure. i kind of gave up, under the pressure of people's inability to suspend disbelief about externals.

{censored} man, do you get it? YOU DONT GET THIS DISCUSSION WITHOUT INCLUDING EXTERNALS. THEY ARE NECESSARY. Give it up, dude...

• Members

besides that, people have been discussing psychology and philosophy for centuries by suspending disbelief and supposing. for instance, take the "allegory of the cave." do you think folks were actually strapped to chairs in a cave and only knew shadows as fact?? it spurs thought and discussion. that's what i was searching for, here. this is a forum for discussion, after all.

i believe it's you that doesn't have the mind to discuss openly.

Archived