metal snare drum mod... it actually worked!!

cdawg

• Members

so, i've had this yamaha power-v snare for years. too cheap to sell, too good in condition to throw away. but, it just rang like a bell, drove me nuts. i'd lay a zero ring on it, but it was a one trick pony. i tried different heads and snares, but i really didn't want to spend too much money on it. besides, it' wasn't worth it. wasn't my main snare.

then i thought of spraying the inside with a rubber coating to absorb some ringing.

it f*cking worked.

twelve coats of spray (the can cost about $6.) every 20 mins, i could apply a new coat. whole thing dried in 4 hours, but i waited to assemble over night to be sure. and it looks cool. just taped the holes with painter's tape and sprayed. any excess spray was easily cleaned up with a razor. i figured if it was overkill, i could scrape some rubber off, but it ended up being perfect.

it sounds like a hard wood. a tiny bit too much overtone, but i plan on getting some fat snares, and maybe a ps3 head, or the aquarian focus-x.

below are pix of first coat, finished product, several coats and product used (don't know why it's not in order. tried to upload multiple times. fail.)

• Members

Did you use anything to prime the metal?

nope. i thought of scuffing it with steel wool, and would prolly do so in the future. but, i didn't because if it was overkill, i was going to cut a 1-inch ring around the inside and remove a circle of rubber to add some ring. but it wasn't needed.

after this, i would gladly pick up another cheapy, another depth, and apply the same technique. for a $6 can, why the hell not??

• Members

oh, and sorry for no sounds. i really don't have a good way to record. i can only say the high-pitched ring really gave me a headache. it was ok when i didn't know anything about snares. right now there's a slight ring that would be more controllable with more spray, i'm sure. but. like i said, i'll try more snares and a different head.

i should mention, you can get that paint in a small can, too. so you can apply it with a brush. it would take longer, but i'd imagine you could apply it a little thicker.

• Members

i did note that it would probably work better if i painted the outside of the drum as well. after all, the edge curves in from the outside. but, even with scuffing, the rubber would surely peel off with much ease.

which poses the question: is there a way to apply rubber to the outside of a metal snare? possibly scuffing and epoxying?

• Members

i did note that it would probably work better if i painted the outside of the drum as well. after all, the edge curves in from the outside. but, even with scuffing, the rubber would surely peel off with much ease.

which poses the question: is there a way to apply rubber to the outside of a metal snare? possibly scuffing and epoxying?

You can get this stuff you dip tools into and it rubberizes the handles. Also, you can buy rattle can spray pickup truck "bed liner" that is very rubber-y. Probably deadens sound like a mofo too. That's basically what they spray the inside of your cars metal panels with as sound deadening.

• Members

You can get this stuff you dip tools into and it rubberizes the handles.

that's what i used. same exact stuff. it's just in spray form.

the truck spray-liner stuff was twice the price, so i opted for this stuff. they also have a spray undercoating that would prolly do. once again, about twice the cost.

too bad i cant see a sample of the stuff before i buy. i'd imagine the bedliner crap would spray on thicker. food for thought.

• Members

Nice! Good choice on material. That's about the best you are gonna do for sound deadening in a can!

I think the truck bed liner stuff is just supposed to go on textured for grip... probably not much thicker but perhaps dries a bit tougher.

• Members

Nice! Good choice on material. That's about the best you are gonna do for
sound deadening in a can!

I think the truck bed liner stuff is just supposed to go on textured for grip... probably not much thicker but perhaps dries a bit tougher.

:lol: that says it all, brother!

Archived