Cool Snare thread

cdawg

• Members

ok, judging by all the snare talk lately, i thought i'd bring up a snare thread. i didn't want to stomp all over someone else's thread.

when looking for some info on my slingy '62 student snare, i ran across this little number.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339624[/ATTACH]

it's a slingerland "Tone Flange model" from the 1928-1930's. evidently you could even order this flange on the radio king. made from solid brass or aluminum, both with holes, aluminum without (as an earlier model.)

reminds me of what i was trying to do, as far as eliminating ring from my metal snare.

btw, if anyone has a line on a top straight hoop for a 14" snare (i need clips, too,) i'd appreciate it.

• Members

ok, this is my attainable dream snare. a yamaha copper 14x6.5:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339625[/ATTACH]

i especially dig those "nouveau" lugs. they put those on the stage custom snare, at one point. not sure if that was released here, tho.

• Members

Nice looking Yamaha too.

I haven't really taken the time to find "my" snare sound, just because I don't have the funds to satisfy the immediate want I'll experience once I find it. But I should really go hitting some snares for fun and see what's out there.

I've never heard the difference between wood, brass, copper, steel, fiberglass, and stone drums first hand.

• Members

That Slingerland DOES look really cool - I wonder what that flange actually did for the sound! As you said... yeah, we may never hear one. :)

Nice copper Yammie, too.

I use a different snare sound with each project, it seems - certain bands need a certain sound, and though I prefer a tight, cracking wood snare with clear and present ghost notes (basically, my 5x14" Tama Maple snare), it doesn't really fit a blues or ballad gig.

I always thought Carter's sound on DMB's Under the Table and Dreaming is freakin' gorgeous.

• Members

you bring up a good point, fitchy. my last gig, i had a hard time getting my ghost notes to stand out. live, or on recording. i thought to blame the mics or recording engineer, but i guess i should start at my snare/heads. i'm regularly playing a 12x7 premier that's birch/eucalyptus. i'm assuming i should go with something brighter?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339650[/ATTACH]

Archived