Top Ten List

cdawg

• Members

ok, i've been thinking about how you guys know all of this music i don't, and how i can pull it from you, so here it is. I'm going to ask for a few top ten lists of albums/cds so we all can share.

what are your top ten favorite drummer cds?

zeppelin- song remains the same

iron maiden- piece of mind

clutch- strange cousins from the west

mars volta- deloused in the comatorium

mars volta- bedlam in goliath

the police- ghost in the machine

alice in chains- alice in chains

the band- the last waltz

burning airlines- mission: control!

the doors- best of (sorry!)

• Members

Few clues and even less mystery here.

These three I copped what I could:

Buddy Rich

Louie Bellson

Joe Morrello

Much later Steve Gadd, Vinnie C, Weckl, ... by this time I had more focus on sense of rhythm - concepts if you will and absorbed the vibe rather than learned anything these guys did.

• Members

anything by zep. Though the song remains the same is a good jumping off point I would go with How the West Was Won.

Copeland with the Police. All of them.

Porcupine Tree with Gavin Harrison and Danny Carey on Tools Lateralus. These guys are prog masters. Throw Portnow and Dream Theater in there, just to make you feel bad about yourself.

Moving Pictures by Rush. Neil Peart. Dont listen to the haters. Their just pissed because hes better than them.

Back in Black AC/DC Phil Rudd for the basic chops.

• Members

Few clues and even less mystery here.

These three I copped what I could:

Buddy Rich

Louie Bellson

Joe Morrello

Much later Steve Gadd, Vinnie C, Weckl, ... by this time I had more focus on sense of rhythm - concepts if you will and absorbed the vibe rather than learned anything these guys did.

but, what are your favorite albums with those guys?? that's what this thread's about. albums/cds.

• Members

Albums? No real faves. Various BR bands, Bruebeck, Chick Corea, Steely Dan, various GRP projects with the studio guns of the 70s and 80s. I used to buy those GRP discs according to the player credits lol. This interspersed with Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, various later Romantic and a smattering of vintage modern (Copeland and Stravinsky f.i.) composers.

Lots to absorb about music. It'll manifest itself no matter what you play. Might as well be certified good stuff.

• Members

Several albums were extremely influential to my drumming, and most were out within a couple of years of each other.

Tommy by the Who. I was 18. It was wild and it was doable.

Emerson Lake and Palmer (first album) loved it.

KIng Crimson-several albums got worn out by me, but "Lark's Tongue in Aspic" changed my entire thinking about percussion. Jamie Muir with Bill Bruford, unbelievable!

Mahavishnu Orchestra, first album. What can I say about early Billy Cobham? I had no hope of playing like that.

Zappa-Apostrophe

Yes-Close to the Edge

From a non-drumming perspective I was influenced by Beatles, loved Sargeant Pepper when it was released, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Jethro Tull.

Always hated Lynard Skinard, Zeppelin, ACDC, KISS. Once you've heard Mahavishnu and King Crimson, especially brand new straight from the record bins, your tastes are forever ruined, no matter how much teeny bopper promotion the record companies put out.

• Members

Unbelievable keyboard player (Reed Gratz} check him out, he is still doing jazz cds, has a doctorate in Jazz composition, plus a guitar player and bass player who were neighbors growing up and in a regionally successful cover band by the time they were 16. BY the time they were 20 they had learned their instruments well. Great band. We even did some mahavishnu orchestra stuff for fun ( did not go over well live).

• Members

This should be fun...

Metallica - ... And Justice For All (Lars Ulrich)

Primus - Sailing The Seas of Cheese (Tim "Herb" Alexander)

Anthrax - Among The Living (Charlie Benante)

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (Vinnie Paul)

Wrathchild America - In 3D (Shannon Larkin)

Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip (Ken Jay)

Savatage - Streets (Steve "Dr. Killdrums" Wacholz)

Godsmack - Godsmack (Tommy Stewart credited, Sully Erna actual)

Extreme - III Sides to Every Story (Paul Geary)

Alice In Chains - Dirt (Sean Kinney)

Weird Al Yankovic - Poodle Hat (John "Bermuda" Schwarz)... truly! :)

And yes, I know I put 11 in my list.... meh

• Members

rdrummer322 mentioned a few of them ...

some more ...

The Who - Who's Next?

soundtrack from Orfeo Negro

Weather Report - from beginning to end

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Art Blakey Percussion Ensemble - A Drum Suite

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

Steely Dan - Aja

soundtrack from Jesus Christ Superstar

Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints

Gary McFarland - America the Beautiful (Bernard Purdie)

• Members

Ok, just soze I don't get the nerd o the month award:

1st 4 Zepp

Yes Close to the Edge

1st 2 ELP

KC In the Court of thereof...

JB Blow by Blow

CSNY

1st 2 Mahavishnu

Tull AQ

Ist 2 Sabath

GFR

CCR

More I can't recall offhand. I barely recall this stuff and don't listen to it anymore. Incidentally no specific drummer influence aside from CCR which was easy to learn then and a mini epiphany I got from Michael Giles on the KC ablum.

• Members

Maybe it was Sabot, been so long. Srsly one of the things that drove me was hoping to run into people who could do War Pigs. Never happened. Of course various Hendrix, Cream, Lee Michaels, TDN, (lol) Whatever was popular in the 70s.

Used to be all into that macho hard rock thing. It's good for 5, 10 minutes of amusement now.

• Members

i listened to some good stuff! thanks! hope you all brought up some goods stuff you haven't heard in a while. i haven't been listening to music lately, so it gave me some homework. my ex wife called instrumentals "musician-nerd {censored}." lovely woman.

top ten favorite instrumental albums/cds

alex skolnick trio- transformation

herbie hancock- headhunters

godflesh- streetcleaner

coltrane- a love supreme

patrick o'hearn- indigo

rumah sakit- self titled

secret chiefs 3- second grand constitution and bylaws: hurqalya

wagon christ- muspal

meat beat manifesto- 99%

dirty three- ocean songs

Archived