How to shorten the sustain on my cymbals?

KevinTJH

• Members

Just bought myself the Zildjian Rock ZHT set (Ride + 16"rock crash + 14" high-hat).

I have to say that these are so much thicker than I imagined.

Everytime I hit a cymbal, it rings for about 15 seconds, which is annoying because it carries on to the next few bars when I'm playing a song. Is this a common problem?

What are some of the ways to shorten the sustain on them? I read about duct tape but they apparently leave a lot of unremovable-residue on the cymbals.

• Members

some thoughts:

If you are playing by yourself, or with a stereo, or are trying to record yourself, then you could try a number of things - perhaps a Moongel on the edge of the cymbal, or duct tape as long as you remove it after each session. No residue that way.

If you are gonna be playing in a live setting, don't worry about it. The cymbals will blend (unless it's a real quiet gig) and you won't notice the sustain as much. When I bought my first Zildjian cymbals (in 1972), the store gave me a booklet from Zildjian, and it explained that cymbals are quite sympathetic, and will to vibrate at roughly the same note as whatever is going on around them, but that can't happen at low volumes.

This is why it's real important to shop for cymbals locally. Gotta hit each and every one you're looking at, and take the ones that sound good up to the cash register. Cymbals will vary even within the same brand, size and model.

Hope this was helpful. If I got it all wrong, sorry!!

• Members

Thanks DW for your response.

I'm a new drummer so at the moment I'm only playing by myself in my music room.

I should probably give the moonpads a try. Are these what you're referring to?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RTOM-Moongel-Damper-Pads-Drum-Mutes-4pk-/190598196201?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item2c6089abe9#ht_1728wt_907

So all I have to do is stick one of those blue pads at the edge of a cymbal?

Thanks again!

• Members

Interesting you should bring that up. Fixed damping as mentioned is the usual solution. There are a couple kinds of low tack tape that wont leave residue. masking tape comes in this variety and I believe Gaffers tape which is essentially low tack duct tape.

IMO maybe don't hit 'em so hard - save your ears too, and damping manually as you play might offer some interesting musicality.

• Members

ZHT cymbals are made from B8 sheet bronze by nature they are loud & clangy. I always tell people if the are low on cash or just like a bargin to buy Zildjian B-20 cast bronze cymbals used. That said I think Sabian makes better B-8 cymbals than Zildjian & I only buy Zildjian because they are made here in the USA!

Dave Huffmamn

• Members

Thanks DW for your response.

I'm a new drummer so at the moment I'm only playing by myself in my music room.

I should probably give the moonpads a try. Are these what you're referring to?

So all I have to do is stick one of those blue pads at the edge of a cymbal?

Thanks again!

Yup, those are the ones. You'll have to experiment on placement to see what works best. One near the edge, two closer to the bell, etc..

When you take your kit out to rehearse or gig, your cymbals will sound much better to you than they do now, and you won't need any damping. But since it's just you in your space right now, experiment to see what you can do to make them sound acceptable to you. Sky's the limit!

Have fun!

• Members

To be perfectly blunt OP, you also need to take into consideration the quality of your cymbals.

This is not meant to be a knock on you, but what you've got are entry-level cymbals, and to be totally frank...there are limitations you are going to face with regards to the quality of sound you get out of them based on that alone.

A better quality cymbal (alloy) is going to have more pleasing sonic qualities in both the initial sound from impact and the overtones you hear in the sustained/decaying sound that's produced.

Generally speaking, cymbals that can be bought in those packages like you noted are going to sound...of a lesser quality. And you'll obviously notice that more than you would a higher quality cymbal that sustains just as long.

• Members

if its just because you cant stand it on the room or.....its too loud......try these....you can shorten them to you sound liking. I would imagine a heavy towel cut round with a hole in the center would get the same effect. But if you go out to gig....take them off and let them sing.[video=youtube;DE1rXKcdBN4]

• Members

ZHT cymbals are made from B8 sheet bronze by nature they are loud & clangy. I always tell people if the are low on cash or just like a bargin to buy Zildjian B-20 cast bronze cymbals used. That said I think Sabian makes better B-8 cymbals than Zildjian & I only buy Zildjian because they are made here in the USA!

Dave Huffmamn

The zht series are actually B12 sheet bronze.

• Members

buy splashes

YES! I've always liked the way they sound. I'm just looking for a suitable clamp then I'll be shopping for one.

I think I probably just have to get used to the sustain, as mentioned many times here. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos that were recorded using digital cameras, and I can definitely notice that same sustain I'm getting.

So forgive me for starting such a ridiculous thread! This is simply just a newbie's misconception about cymbals :facepalm:

• Members

I have to honestly agree with that. I supposed I never really noticed a lot of things until I started playing drums myself.

YES! I've always liked the way they sound. I'm just looking for a suitable clamp then I'll be shopping for one.

I think I probably just have to get used to the sustain, as mentioned many times here. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos that were recorded using digital cameras, and I can definitely notice that same sustain I'm getting.

So forgive me for starting such a ridiculous thread! This is simply just a newbie's misconception about cymbals
:facepalm:

Don't worry. It took me a while to get used to sympathetic snare rattle when hitting other drums. Now it seems weird without it.

• Members

So forgive me for starting such a ridiculous thread! This is simply just a newbie's misconception about cymbals
:facepalm:

Kevin, I've been drumming for over 15 years and have been in more bands and shows then I can count, and I STILL start ridiculous threads here all the time. :D

Drumming is a lifetime of learning - ask away, dude, and most importantly, stay stroking!

Er, the drums, that is.

• Members

I don't think it ridiculous at all.

Same here. If anything, you're exhibiting a commendable desire to shape your sound, and an ear that hears the difference. Hopefully there will come a time in your life when monetary resources are available to actually undertake the critical learning experience of shopping for pro-quality cymbals. Many drummers, myself included, spend whole lifetimes experimenting with cymbal sounds and setups. You'll likely find yourself looking for ones that are quicker, slower, high-pitched, low-pitched, dry, complex, full, bright, dark, shimmering, shrill, sizzling, and who-knows-how-many other etc.'s. Find makers' web sites that offer sound clips; read the descriptions, and listen to the samples. Hats, crashes, and rides all have a vast array of characteristics that can make them what you want, or what you don't. Have fun and learn about the great duality of principle that cymbals pose. On one hand, they can be ultra-sensitive, very individualistic, living instruments. On the other, they can be seen as cold, single-dimensional, un-tunable, insufferable, metal clang-things. There is an incomprehensibly deep world of subtlety in them that is ultimately drowned and homogenized when blended with other instruments. Cymbals are the very embodiment of simultaneous intrigue and apathy. Enjoy.

• Members

I'm gonna start you early on hearing protection. Always wear it to practice. Ask anyone here how much they love their tinnitus.

Some mild hearing protection will make everything on your kit sound better and less harsh to you.

Recommendations:

#1: Vic Firth Stereo Isolation Headphones $45 - These are a great way to practice along to music or a metronome without blasting out your neighbors to hear it over the drums. I even wear them when nothing's playing in them at all.

#2: Hearos high Fidelity Ear Plugs $12 - Awesome for when you play shows, go to concerts, monster truck shows, at the gun range, or to tone down a nearby snore-er while still being able to hear the alarm. I own something like five pairs of these.

#3: Vic Firth Isolation Practice Headphones $20 - For when you can't afford #1 and don't like things in your ears.

#4: Any other kind of earplugs or isolation headphones, ever. They'll block out more, but save your ear health. Heck, use cotton balls. Those are almost free and you can use as little or as much as you want.

• Members

I'm gonna start you early on hearing protection. Always wear it to practice. Ask anyone here how much they love their tinnitus.

Some mild hearing protection will make everything on your kit sound better and less harsh to you.

Recommendations:

#1:
- These are a great way to practice along to music or a metronome without blasting out your neighbors to hear it over the drums. I even wear them when nothing's playing in them at all.

#2:
- Awesome for when you play shows, go to concerts, monster truck shows, at the gun range, or to tone down a nearby snore-er while still being able to hear the alarm. I own something like five pairs of these.

#3:
- For when you can't afford #1 and don't like things in your ears.

#4: Any other kind of earplugs or isolation headphones, ever. They'll block out more, but save your ear health. Heck, use cotton balls. Those are almost free and you can use as little or as much as you want.

In an emergency, I used cotton balls. I won't play drums without hearing protection anymore.

Archived