Tama Starclassic Bubinga VS. DW Collectors

MX DRUMMER

• Members

What in your opinion makes them two different animals?

They are made of two different woods, which have different tones. They both can sound good, but will sound different causing them to have different situations where one will sound better than the other.

• Members

What is intemetting?

It's when people do, say, ask, or evoke opinions solely because it will get a reaction on the internet.

Like going to a drum forum and saying "what's better, Sabian or Zildjian?"

Going to a movie website and comparing a random summer release to "Citizen Kane."

Relegating a normal human emotion to something you can calculate and research after several hours of studying.

All of that is "internetting." Not taking a dig on you, but realize you just asked a drum forum "what's better, a Porsche or a Lamborghini?" They're both AWESOME in their right.

• Members

Oh I see. I Didn't mean it like that. I wa asking for fun but was going to use the info that inevitably would have come from it. I can't afford either now but the goal is to eventually have one or the other. Just wanted to evoke some friendly chat while also getting some info fom you guys. I do research also but sometimes I like getting second opinions.

• Members

Oh I see. I Didn't mean it like that. I wa asking for fun but was going to use the info that inevitably would have come from it. I can't afford either now but the goal is to eventually have one or the other. Just wanted to evoke some friendly chat while also getting some info fom you guys. I do research also but sometimes I like getting second opinions.

While I agree with everything that's been said above, I will answer the question in the way it was intendend.

For me, it's Starclassic Bubinga (but not the omni-tune). I do own a Starclassic Bubinga and it is by far the best sounding kit i've ever put wood to. (huh, huh... he said "put wood to")... It is the kit that now stays in my house and will always remain such and unsold. It is (finish aside) my dream kit and I really do understand why. I have played many DW Collecter's series kits in my time. While most sound very good, I've also played one or 2 duds. 98% of that is heads and tuning, but it still happens. Since I've played both, I had a pretty good feeling of the sound and quality for both.

Here's the thing. It's all very subjective. I like a warm and rich drum sound. Bubinga give that to a level I never anticipated while still being very controlled. That's why I love bubinga and especially the Starclassic Bubinga. (NOT THE CHINESE MADE Birch/Bubinga...althoughs those are great kits for their price range). Also, keep in mind I got a "like new" Starclassic Bubinga for about $1300 from watching craigslist. (It turns out, it was being sold by a friend of mine for a studio he helped furnish). If your smart, you may be able to get a dream kit without breaking the bank doing the same thing.

That being said, if you really want a "dream kit" - you have a ton of options. It's a great idea to start saving up for it and one day know you'll bring it home. I wouldn't even limit yourself to the Tama Bubinga or DW as they have limited finishes on those series. What about having one of the smaller custom companies create your dream kit. I'm partial to Spaun, but there are a 100 others that can do the drums of your dreams too.

Then again, you just got a pretty killer kit for $0, so that's something to consider too. Maybe save up 1/2 and sell your existing stuff for the other 1/2 and you can have a dream kit in no time!

DB

• Members

First off thanks for actually giving a usable answer. I'm a huge Tama fan myself but I know that DW is an excellent company. I have always kind of favored the Starclassic but wasn't sure which was the "better" kit so to say. I know that is subjective and really comes down to the individual. I want to try and spend some decent time behind both though. In any case whichever way I go I will be happy.

What does something like a custom kit cost? Where can I find all the info on companies, products, warranties, pricing, etc?

• Members

All of that is "internetting." Not taking a dig on you, but realize you just asked a drum forum "what's better, a Porsche or a Lamborghini?" They're both AWESOME in their right.

Clearly the correct answer is PORSCHE.

• Members

First off thanks for actually giving a usable answer. I'm a huge Tama fan myself but I know that DW is an excellent company. I have always kind of favored the Starclassic but
wasn't sure which was the "better" kit so to say

And there's the issue: at that level, there's no such thing as 'better' aside from better FOR YOU.

Top end kits from numerous manufacturers are all at least as good as level 'x', and at that point, it really is all about your preferences.

This is not something you can learn by being told here or elsewhere, however; it's something you will (likely) develop over time through experience.

I would say the most foolish thing you could do right now is try to make any kind of decision about what you prefer, because you simply don't have the experience to draw from, and anything you decide is going to be based on incomplete data.

Live a little. Experience some. If you get time on a handful of upper-echelon kits in the next couple years, allow yourself to truly absorb the EXPERIENCE, good, bad or otherwise.

Depending on how many pieces, size of drums, shell material, other options, etc., you're looking at a ballpark from $2k-7k and up. Realistically speaking, figure $2-4k for drums. Totally rough estimates.

But there's absolutely ZERO reason to spend that kind of $, or even think about doing so unless you're a first-call session guy or have money burning a hole in your pockets anyway...

• Members

I see what you mean Kmart. Makes sense. I dont know that I will ever spend the money to have one made custom for me, although it would be cool. I do know that at some point in my life I want a nice top end kit. I do want to go experience these kits though to formulate my idea of what is going to suit me better. Thanks for info gentlemen.

• Members

But there's absolutely ZERO reason to spend that kind of $, or even think about doing so unless you're a first-call session guy or have money burning a hole in your pockets anyway...

This is one of the rare occasions where I disagree with kmart a bit. I do believe there are times to spend more for a higher end kit regardless of your session status. There is a lot to be said for getting what YOU want regardless of your playing level. Motivation, interest and sheer enjoyment can all be increased when you are playing on a kit you want / designed, rather than one you fell into or beginner gear. Other times, having nicer gear can help get you better gigs (live or studio) when you are dealing with other musicians who know the difference. Even insert your favorite drummer here would get funny looks if he showed up to a PROFESSIONAL gig with a CB700 kit. So imagine if it was some "unknown" guy.

That being said, to kmart's point... it is not NECESSARY to spend that kind of cash on a kit. There are a lot of great intermediate options. (Even Mike Portnoy played a Tama Silverstar kit at a few Adrinaline Mob gigs).

However, specific to MXDRUMMER's situation... you actually have a pretty solid kit with that Yamaha, so I think you'd be good to save up a for a while until you get your "dream kit" or close to it.

That's just my dime (.02 adjusted for inflation)...

DB

• Members

I agree with you both. I am not at the level of playing ability or experience to invest that kind of money. I'm not exactly a beginner but I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a pro. I see what you guys are saying and fully understand it. Thanks for the advice! I have to say its a real pleasure to be this close and have such simple access to good wisdom in the drum world!... Yes Kmart, that's a thank you and a compliment all in one!!! Lol

That Bubinga DW gorgeous!!

I would choose a porsche everyday! German engineering is far better than Italian.

Archived