Why I can't keep from laughing when people say punk drumming is "easy"

JMR

• Members

Well it's important I point out that crappy music is crappy. A great many of us care about the craft and aspire to better things.

You know this doesn't end so just post more crappy music and I'll point out the crappy stuff. :thu:

:D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JMR, you're at this point smothering whatever point you were aiming to make. This is why most people don't like punk - it's not the message, it's not the sound... it's that when anyone who's "new to punk" tries to say "well, what about this?", they got slapped down by punk purists.

You know what punk purists are? Pretentious, self-righteous, know-it-all douche bags.

Here are your words:

A.) If you think Rise Above is punk, you are a troll or 12 years old.

B.) Black Flag broke up in '86, Rollins was only on a few decent albums, so stop stroking his cock.

I've been educated by some straight-edge, true-blood punk guys, and I respect them greatly. But
you
are doing it wrong.

1.) I'm doing it right.

2.) Music is noise with a purpose, nothing more.

3.) This is the best thread I have ever made.

4.) The "rollins wouldn't like this" comments are always vomit-inducing. Rise Above sux.

• Members
4.) The "rollins wouldn't like this" comments are always vomit-inducing. Rise Above sux.

I mean, yes, this is agreeable. :)

Though I love Rollins (more as an author and commentator than singer, but he's a bad ass).

• Members

Please! Rollins has turned into another old ass "you kids get off my lawn!" type. How in the hell someone who is supposed to be so intelligent can fall into the exact same type of thinking that he rebelled against in his earlier years? Don't know him personally at all and from what I've seen in interviews and such I really wouldn't want to have a beer with him.

• Members

Please! Rollins has turned into another old ass "you kids get off my lawn!" type. How in the hell someone who is supposed to be so intelligent can fall into the exact same type of thinking that he rebelled against in his earlier years? Don't know him personally at all and from what I've seen in interviews and such I really wouldn't want to have a beer with him.

If that's your take on him, you haven't listened to/heard enough.

What he's 'against' however, and what he does talk about is unadulterated idiocy/stupidity...no matter what the age of the perpetrator, really.

He spends most of his spoken word time offering his opinions about what's f&%ked up with this world, and why.

Which seems to be almost exactly the same kind of things he used to sing about.

Only difference is he does it in long pants and his neck veins bulge less while doing so now.

• Members

Now I'm confused as to who that is, too....

Oh well. Imma gonna go practice.

in my experience the type of person with little knowledge or experience but enormous narcissism who has the need to pass judgement on an entire genre' of music is consistent with the stereotype of an uncultured, know nothing housewife. These absurd pronouncements are not opinions & are worthy of disdain from anyone with a whit of perspective regardless of their personal taste.

start hearing 1001gear posts over the site in the voice of a classic housewife archetype & it all starts to make sense. Her posts are way more amusing & almost worth reading when you do it like that. almost.

...with apologies to actual housewives (but not 1001gear, she deserves none.)

• Members

If that's your take on him, you haven't listened to/heard enough.

What he's 'against' however, and what he does talk about is unadulterated idiocy/stupidity...no matter what the age of the perpetrator, really.

He spends most of his spoken word time offering his opinions about what's f&%ked up with this world, and why.

Which seems to be almost exactly the same kind of things he used to sing about.

Only difference is he does it in long pants and his neck veins bulge less while doing so now.

I have paid some attention to him and I'm not impressed at all by his railings. On one hand he advocates freedom of speech and the push for people to be more intelligent and open minded only to flip-flop espousing how he thinks everything should be and that anything outside of his own paradigm construct is nonsensical. I don't particularly find hypocrites to be intriguing.

You can have him and enjoy his viewpoints. Not my cup of tea.

• Members

I have paid some attention to him and I'm not impressed at all by his railings. On one hand he advocates freedom of speech and the push for people to be more intelligent and open minded only to flip-flop espousing how he thinks everything should be and that anything outside of his own paradigm construct is nonsensical. I don't particularly find hypocrites to be intriguing.

You can have him and enjoy his viewpoints. Not my cup of tea.

All I can respond with is...you've somehow got it incredibly twisted and/or don't listen so well. I've seen him roughly a dozen times doing spoken word, going back to ~94 or so, and there's none of what you describe in any of it. Unless of course you happen to be a repressed, restrictive, close-minded, conservative...and then, yeah, hell talk the {censored}. And why would anybody expect anything different in the first place?

• Members

All I can respond with is...you've somehow got it incredibly twisted and/or don't listen so well. I've seen him roughly a dozen times doing spoken word, going back to ~94 or so, and there's none of what you describe in any of it. Unless of course you happen to be a repressed, restrictive, close-minded, conservative...and then, yeah, hell talk the {censored}. And why would anybody expect anything different in the first place?

Nope. Not twisted at all. You can suck at the teat of his pseudo-anarchistic shtick but I'm not fooled. You've apparently been drinking too much of his kool aid. Any cat the decries uniformity but dons the uniform of a whole subset is a hypocrite. Any fool who decries the corporate structure in the face of that corporate structure making his living situation comfortable is a hypocrite. Any fool who talks the game of the idiocy of a government or its people and isn't doing squat about it but talking is a parrot.

Again, you can have him.

Archived