Why I can't keep from laughing when people say punk drumming is "easy"

JMR

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah, man, THIS is hipster emo {censored}: [video=youtube;EtwKWip5F84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtwKWip5F84

which I enjoy quite a bit. And it's punk as {censored}.

Of course, most people think Green Day is punk, so not much of a surprise.

Music that advocates social/political change, discusses philosophical concepts, is DIY, and all that jazz is clearly not punk rock. Someone get me a studded belt pronto while I give my parents the middle finger.

• Members

I can't stand that Ian MacKaye. He sucks, what an emo douche

[video=youtube;h8vWoe8LUZE]

What kind emo douche plays in Embrace? Who the hell is minor threat? Fugazi? Some Nirvana coverband, they suck.

• Members

it better be a good day

it seems like i have not had one in fifteen {censored}ing years

waking up in a big bed sleeping next to sweat for company

it's not like i expected anything from the new year

more self discovery living in a landfill

it takes a lot to be yourself so do whatever makes you feel fine

i guess it's not so bad repeating all these conversations

and i guess it's not so bad

but i'm pretty sure we've heard it all before

• Members

Are you tuff enuff?

no double bass, bro. do it.

A blast beat? Last I checked, those don't NEED double bass bro by any means. Even then, there's this whole single-stroke roll you can do with the bass drum and any decent pedal and decent technique where you can get doubles or triples out of one stroke, in quick, tight succession.

And, that's not punk, that's emo hipster crap.

This is what more or less modern punk is:

[video=youtube;-Oh8K5tTcig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oh8K5tTcig

• Members

Dere Noob.

(I know I know - going for impact)

Deer Noob,

punk is eaz bcuz they don't play music. It's all rudymens reel fass and they try to b slik if they have talent. The songs don't need to think besides which one.

K. sori in advance.

• Members

There are some punk bands I like, but I think some punk drummers make the music cooler. Brooks Wackerman's playing in Bad Religion comes to mind. Hate him or not, Travis Barker is a great drummer and brought some exciting elements to Blink-182.

Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come is still a really cool album.

And yes, punk music is often not about the music. The sonic side of it comes from the mentality -- if you're ripped up, why not play it louder and faster? :)

• Members

There are some punk bands I like, but I think some punk drummers make the music cooler. Brooks Wackerman's playing in Bad Religion comes to mind. Hate him or not, Travis Barker is a great drummer and brought some exciting elements to Blink-182.

Refused's
The Shape of Punk to Come
is still a really cool album.

And yes, punk music is often not about the music. The sonic side of it comes from the mentality -- if you're ripped up, why not play it louder and faster?
:)

I wouldn't consider Blink 182 to be punk. It's more bubblegum filler than anything.

[video=youtube;CvtJVku_mJw]

Completely sugar-coated...and proof with over 16.3M views.

Granted, Barker adds another layer to the song, but, it's OVER POLISHED POP.

Punk is meant to be very raw, aggressive, and generally creates, or is a result from, bias on an issue within/from it's audience/surroundings, and isn't about making money, it's about a message - a politcal platform for those without a voice....that is what Punk is.

QUITE the opposite of the bull{censored} crap mentioned in this thread with exception to the Black Flag video I posted.

• Members

I wouldn't consider Blink 182 to be punk. It's more bubblegum filler than anything.

Semantic, man. I get what you're saying, and I agree, but Dude Ranch by Blink-182 is a pissed off teenager punk album. The addition of Barker certainly changed their sound, but I'm not sure if you're interested in discussing drummers or the "that's not punk" argument.

Punk drumming, by and large in the "traditional punk sound," isn't particular hard at all. Just be able to do it fast and loud. Most of the drumming I hear in punk music that is challenging or unique is met with the statement of "yeah, but that's not a punk band." Well then okay. Then punk drumming isn't hard. :facepalm:

• Members

Semantic, man. I get what you're saying, and I agree, but
Dude Ranch
by Blink-182 is a pissed off teenager punk album. The addition of Barker certainly changed their sound, but I'm not sure if you're interested in discussing drummers or the "that's not punk" argument.

Punk drumming, by and large in the "traditional punk sound," isn't particular hard at all. Just be able to do it fast and loud. Most of the drumming I hear in punk music that
is
challenging or unique is met with the statement of "yeah, but that's not a punk band." Well then okay. Then punk drumming isn't hard.
:facepalm:

Why is it a :facepalm:?

Punk, in essence, isn't difficult on any front, as a genre.

Bull{censored} that gets labeled as punk because it's bubblegum pop mis-labeled as punk (due to the Greenday effect), then you're not talking about punk music.

Calling hipster emo {censored} punk is misguided labeling. Just as everything was *core music 10 years ago. Hardcore, post-hardcore, undercore, overcore, {censored}core, punkcore...it's a {censored}ing label...when punk, as a name, was originally a genre in the 80's, like disco was a genre, how alternative became a genre (then later was abused into a bunch of bull{censored} labels again)

Punk drumming, as a genre, is not hard. Punk drumming, as a mis-labeled genre, overall, is not hard. In fact, I'd wager that for most mainstream, mass-appeal musics, drumming is not hard and can be rather boring...

Which is why I also play guitar...

Archived