pdp snare. any takers/users?

cdawg

• Members

I've played this snare and it's pretty good for the price. However, I've suggested to a lot of people a better (IMO), cheaper option. If you have a maple snare you like already, just order the maple hoops. You can get them from several sites now for about $50-75 a set. That saves you from having to buy another drum... AND you can use the hoops with any snare you own to really find the best combination.

Caveat! You may have to buy longer tension rods too... keep that in mind.

DB

• Members

I've played this snare and it's pretty good for the price. However, I've suggested to a lot of people a better (IMO), cheaper option. If you have a maple snare you like already, just order the maple hoops. You can get them from several sites now for about $50-75 a set. That saves you from having to buy another drum... AND you can use the hoops with any snare you own to really find the best combination.

Caveat! You may have to buy longer tension rods too... keep that in mind.

DB

This is a nice idea...

Perhaps you know, or others using wood hoops can chime in:

How would you characterize what wood hoops will do for a snare's overall tone/sound?

I have a 10-ply drum with re-rings and die-cast hoops and it's actually too loud for 95% of the gigs I play at present (was phenomenal when I was in harder rock bands, though). Any chance wood hoops would somewhat soften or tame the sound? Or will it add focus/clarity?

• Members

This is a nice idea...

Perhaps you know, or others using wood hoops can chime in:

How would you characterize what wood hoops will do for a snare's overall tone/sound?

I have a 10-ply drum with re-rings and die-cast hoops and it's actually too loud for 95% of the gigs I play at present (was phenomenal when I was in harder rock bands, though). Any chance wood hoops would somewhat soften or tame the sound? Or will it add focus/clarity?

I don't think maple hoops are going to diminish the volume of your drum very much. That's more related to the shell itself than the hoops. That being said, I think it may help control ringing/overtones that may allow you play a bit softer and still get a good tone out of the drum.

I don't personally use them very much in general (as I still play a lot of hard rock :-). I personally like wood hoops for cross sticks more than anything else. That being said, I am considering adding them to a stave drum I just put together.

DB

• Members

I don't think maple hoops are going to diminish the volume of your drum very much. That's more related to the shell itself than the hoops. That being said, I think it may help control ringing/overtones that may allow you play a bit softer and still get a good tone out of the drum.

I don't personally use them very much in general (as I still play a lot of hard rock :-). I personally like wood hoops for cross sticks more than anything else. That being said, I am considering adding them to a stave drum I just put together.

DB

Yeah, I figured they wouldn;t have much impact, but having never owned a wood hoop drum, I figured it was worth asking, as that maple drum sits unused at this point, and I don;t mind that kind of project...

May still look into it, and the cross-stick benefit was actually a consideration I'd been thinking of.

Archived