Dumb Question: 80% like Tom Sawyer???

twosticks

• Members

Thanks again for all the help. Actually I have always played the hats one handed since I learned this song way back and to do the two stick method now would just confuse me. LIke Vinniewannabe said it's all the scattered cymbals crashes and while doing the long crescendo drum fill a little before the guitar solo and the fast change cues behind the guitar during the solo. Yeah, the song isn't that fast, it's just getting that "feel" part especially when coming back from the lengthy fills or cymbals crashes. Thank God I know this song from when it came out. To learn this from scratch today would take a ton more work! Thanks again for all the help and advice! wave.gif

• Members

IMO, to expect anyone (who doesn't devote a full-time career to music) to play ANY similar song "just like the record" or even "just like the drummer" is like asking a "beer league" baseball player to perform at World Series standards. Probably ain't gonna happen.

HOWEVER, this doesn't mean that the "weekend warrior" drummer can't come up with an interpretation that meets or even exceeds the "intent" of the drum part in the original piece.

Neophytes and laypeople will always consider "playing like the record" as being the Holy Grail of music proficiency, but we as ACTUAL musicians know better. It is how WE interpret and implement our style to the music at hand that determines the success of the performance, because if you're playing for the adulation of the audience, you're on the wrong track, anyway.

my two cents.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mraia3 View Post
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Gods laughing hysterically - RUN FOR YOUR LIVES eek.gif

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks View Post
Thanks again for all the help. Actually I have always played the hats one handed since I learned this song way back and to do the two stick method now would just confuse me. LIke Vinniewannabe said it's all the scattered cymbals crashes and while doing the long crescendo drum fill a little before the guitar solo and the fast change cues behind the guitar during the solo. Yeah, the song isn't that fast, it's just getting that "feel" part especially when coming back from the lengthy fills or cymbals crashes. Thank God I know this song from when it came out. To learn this from scratch today would take a ton more work! Thanks again for all the help and advice! wave.gif
There's no long crescendo on the studio version. Live? Also any specific problems? I wish to bore the internet with more strategies for tackling Tom Sawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by the DW View Post
IMO, to expect anyone (who doesn't devote a full-time career to music) to play ANY similar song "just like the record" or even "just like the drummer" is like asking a "beer league" baseball player to perform at World Series standards. Probably ain't gonna happen.

HOWEVER, this doesn't mean that the "weekend warrior" drummer can't come up with an interpretation that meets or even exceeds the "intent" of the drum part in the original piece.

Neophytes and laypeople will always consider "playing like the record" as being the Holy Grail of music proficiency, but we as ACTUAL musicians know better. It is how WE interpret and implement our style to the music at hand that determines the success of the performance, because if you're playing for the adulation of the audience, you're on the wrong track, anyway.

my two cents.
This sounds very profound so here it is again.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by the DW View Post

my two cents.
You said it all! I agree. The guy at work isn't really that hard on me and is all in fun mostly. I learned after high school that it's best if you mostly don't talk about playing drums because most expect exactly what you're talking about. And it's hard to talk to others about drumming, is why this group is special, you guys understand drums!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by twosticks View Post
You said it all! I agree. The guy at work isn't really that hard on me and is all in fun mostly. I learned after high school that it's best if you mostly don't talk about playing drums because most expect exactly what you're talking about. And it's hard to talk to others about drumming, is why this group is special, you guys understand drums!
HAHA! LOLZ! U R teh suck most! Neiner neiner neiner!

Juuuuuuust kidding.

Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.

Archived