Mapex Orion?How good is it?Pro level?

Iliketapping

• Members

If I was considering buying a kit that was $3k, I'd save up until I had 5 or 6k and then buy a Craviotto kit. No question.

Back when i was at GC (i know...) i was able to buy {censored} for cost. I got a quote on a Crav walnut diamond inlay kit in 26, 14, 14, 16, 18. About 10 grand.

• Members

And if I had THAT cash I'd likely go for Tempus.

What? Tempus is half as expensive as Craviotto. When I bought my Tempus kit I spent under 2k for 4 drums. If you want a Tempus and you're thinking you can't afford it compared to your Mapex Saturns, your DWs, your Starclassics, think again.

• Members

What? Tempus is half as expensive as Craviotto. When I bought my Tempus kit I spent under 2k for 4 drums. If you want a Tempus and you're thinking you can't afford it compared to your Mapex Saturns, your DWs, your Starclassics, think again.

The carbon fibre is more than the fiberglass. Also, I can't really figure out the cost because the price list on their site is for individual drums. Also, I'd want to get enough drums to be fairly versatile:

16x22 kick

16x20 kick (not for a double bass kit, but as a second opyion)

8x10 and 9x12 toms

14x14 and 16x16 floor toms

2 snare drums

That won't be 5 or 6K? If not, my 10th anniversary is next year and I now know what I want!

• Members

The carbon fibre is more than the fiberglass. Also, I can't really figure out the cost because the price list on their site is for individual drums. Also, I'd want to get enough drums to be fairly versatile:

16x22 kick

8x10 and 9x12 toms

2 snare drums

That won't be 5 or 6K? If not, my 10th anniversary is next year and I now know what I want!

Well I didn't know you were building a mix-and-match set, and the prices have gone up, so with that many drums I'd say right about 5k. I figured you'd be buying a 4 or 5 piece set, but you essentially have an 8-pc double bass, so yeah that's gonna be pricey. Of course, buying the same config in a Yamaha Maple Custom or a Ludwig Legacy would run about the same.

• Members

I'd take the opportunity to get off the maple bandwagon.

Well I had a birch kit, wasn't a fan, too hollow in the midrange. I'm on my second maple kit right now, and it's still not exactly what I'm looking for. And from what I've heard of walnut (Saturns), it's too dark sounding.

I did really like the bubinga Starclassics, although that would be well over $3k. I'd really like to test drive a cherry snare too. Wonder what a cherry kit would sound like?

• Members

16x22 kick

8x10 and 9x12 toms

2 snare drums

Roughly $5-5.5k from their web prices.

• Members

Roughly $5-5.5k from their web prices.

Many people don't know this but if you order a kit around trade-show time (Hollywood Custom and Vintage Show, Frankfurt Musikmesse, Chicago Vintage Drum show) when Paul is planning to have a display booth, he will cut you an extra deal on your kit, show it at the show and then ship it to you free!

• Members

Well I had a birch kit, wasn't a fan, too hollow in the midrange. I'm on my second maple kit right now, and it's still not exactly what I'm looking for. And from what I've heard of walnut (Saturns), it's too dark sounding.

I did really like the bubinga Starclassics, although that would be well over $3k. I'd really like to test drive a cherry snare too. Wonder what a cherry kit would sound like?

My Tama Starclassic birch that I have now and the Premier Genista kit I used to have don't have that hollow problem. What kind of birch kit did you have?

If you like the bubinga tone, you'd do well to try the Tama birch-bubinga kits. They are cheaper than the all-bubinga sets and sound fantastic.

I have a solid cherry snare that's awesome. I'll bet Craviotto could build a whole solid cherry kit -- pricey though!

• Members

My Tama Starclassic birch that I have now and the Premier Genista kit I used to have don't have that hollow problem. What kind of birch kit did you have?

If you like the bubinga tone, you'd do well to try the Tama birch-bubinga kits. They are cheaper than the all-bubinga sets and sound fantastic.

I have a solid cherry snare that's awesome. I'll bet Craviotto could build a whole solid cherry kit -- pricey though!

Starclassic birch :p

I loved the kick drum, it was big sounding, lots of volume, lots of low end. The toms lacked sustain and the mids were hollow. Granted I used G2 clears over Glass resos, so maybe that's part of it. Maybe with clear Emps over clear Ambs they would have been a lot more resonant (my current Pro M's like that combo way more than the G2's over Diplomats). But I also wondered if the weight of the hardware might have played a part?

I never saw one of those B/B kits set up for me to test. They also were too limited in color and hardware and would have been 6-9 months to special order, which I wasn't a fan of.

I guess I like the warmth of maple, but I'm still finding a ply and edge combo that I like. The Starclassic maples (which are impossible to find nowadays) did have a fuller, warmer sound and more sustain than the birch, and I did really like the tuning stability of cast hoops, so that would probably be the first kit I check out in the future.

• Members

Starclassic birch
:p

I loved the kick drum, it was big sounding, lots of volume, lots of low end. The toms lacked sustain and the mids were hollow. Granted I used G2 clears over Glass resos, so maybe that's part of it. Maybe with clear Emps over clear Ambs they would have been a lot more resonant (my current Pro M's like that combo way more than the G2's over Diplomats). But I also wondered if the weight of the hardware might have played a part?

I never saw one of those B/B kits set up for me to test. They also were too limited in color and hardware and would have been 6-9 months to special order, which I wasn't a fan of.

I guess I like the warmth of maple, but I'm still finding a ply and edge combo that I like. The Starclassic maples (which are impossible to find nowadays) did have a fuller, warmer sound and more sustain than the birch, and I did really like the tuning stability of cast hoops, so that would probably be the first kit I check out in the future.

LOL! I have clear Ambassadors top and bottom with a studio ring or moongel on each one and they sing.

If you run across a B/B kit, check it out, it's worth your time.

If you want a GREAT deal on a SC maple kit, call Dale's Drum Shop -- they have a ton of Tama kits there at great prices.

• Members

The Orions are really nice! As for your next question, it will spark pages of debate a discussion over whats better.

My opinion is this: I choose to play Mapex for several reasons. I wanted certain features on my kit, Mapex had them all. The fact that the kick has the "no drill" tom mount that is easily removed for a virgin look is cool. I have converted mine to virgin, but it is nice to know that I can throw the mount back on in 10 minutes. The tom mounts are first class and solid as a rock, very similar to DW. I wanted a sparkle lacquer not a wrap, Saturns are lacquer. Orions have beautiful finishes as well. When I bought my Saturns I 3thought I wanted hanging toms (14 and 16). Once I had them I decided that individual floor toms would be better for what I wanted. No problem, Mapex ahas a kit for adding the legs to your toms. No drilling, the mounts are the same as if you ordered floor toms.

As for the tone of the kits well, whats better? The Orions are N. American maple. I am proud of my Saturns, they sound amazing and they record so nice! And the best part is....a 6 piece kit, 1600.00 shells only. The Orions are alot more I believe. I do not know if I would go Orion over the Saturns. Plus the Saturns are mixed wood kits, Maple with walnut. Now having said all of this I would also love to have a DW, Starclassic B/B, classic maple Ludwigs, Yamaha oaks or maples. At a certain level who can tell.
:thu:

+1

I've played on A LOT of pro level kits. I think that a Mapex Saturn kit produces the the best sound (best overall quality & value) you can get for the money (with proper tuning of course).

• Members

LOL! I have clear Ambassadors top and bottom with a studio ring or moongel on each one and they sing.

If you run across a B/B kit, check it out, it's worth your time.

If you want a GREAT deal on a SC maple kit, call
Dale's Drum Shop
-- they have a ton of Tama kits there at great prices.

Yeah clear G1's top and bottom came standard (I think) and were some of the best heads. I think Remos really would have warmed it up a lot.

But in my head I have a sound that has way more sustain than I think is physically possible, so I'm always chasing it. Closest I've heard is a DW kit.

Either way, I dropped the $$$ on a Pro M and have other bills to worry about, so I'll try and be happy with this kit :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Members

Hello, 

I have a Mapex Orion Classic and I have owned it for 11 or 12 years now. It is a pro level kit and it give's me endless joy playing it. 

My kit is never short of compliments when recording or gigging. One thing that I have really noticed is the projection of the tom's unmiced, the deliver there tone impecably. I tune my tom's open and the over tone's blend giving a richness not only to the music but to the drums themself. 

I have played a lot of drum kits, DW's, Sonor (another one of my fav's), Gretsch, ludwig etc the Mapex is not only my favorit but everyone else's too. 

But like people say, its all about your personal choice. Our drum kits are our voice and I feel that my Mapex sounds most like me, I don't have to force it to sound like something its not, it tunes the way I want, it resonates the way I want and it sounds the way I want, live or recorded. 

• Members

AndyGDrums wrote:

But like people say, its all about your personal choice. Our drum kits are our voice and I feel that my Mapex sounds most like me, I don't have to force it to sound like something its not, it tunes the way I want, it resonates the way I want and it sounds the way I want, live or recorded. 

Welcome to the forum, Andy! Always a pleasure to have another drummer here!

I've gotta say, I've never heard a Mapex kit I DIDN'T like. They just seem to be very well-made drums that hold up well over time. Heck, I've got a buddy who's... not... a great... drummer... and even with his lack of tuning and technique, his kit sounds good. That says a lot to the QC of the product.

Plus, their ads in Modern Drummer lately are drool-worthy...

Archived