Whats your evans torque key settings???

onehourburn

• Members

Originally posted by Kozmo

IF you had a drum/music store close to you I would suggest taking the drums to them and pay/bribe someone who knows how, to tune them for you. Given that you are in the country, find a drummer and buy them a beer and have them come over to tune them for you. You will learn a lot from watching them, and you may also learn what to listen for. Its all about listening and playing with it until you start to understand, In other words, call in a ringer!

LOL I have a few problems... I live in a dry county so buying beer is not a option.. No bars in my area either cause of the dry county... 30 miles to the closest music store and they suck.... I am trying my best... Its alot better than befor... I think my local high school's band teacher is a drummer... I think I will hit him up and see what he can do... Other than that I have no one...

Thanks a million... At lest I can still use the torque key as a tunning key.... Man an expensive tunning key... LOL It does help me get in the right area but I can see it needing a lot more to be right....

onehourburn

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Lysakoski

Go blow your load "jamming" with your gothic buddies.

:rolleyes:

Dude you have no clue!!!:rolleyes: I am 25 years old and play for fun... I own two business one being a tanning solon and the other being a 300 acre rice/soybean farm... You had nothing but jackass comment from the start and I called you out on it... You keep proving to me that I am not wrong...

onehourburn

• Members

Originally posted by onehourburn

Dude you have no clue!!!
:rolleyes:
I am 25 years old and play for fun... I own two business one being a tanning solon and the other being a 300 acre rice/soybean farm... You had nothing but jackass comment from the start and I called you out on it... You keep proving to me that I am not wrong...

onehourburn

It's cool, you go tan some people and I'll play drums for a living. Bye. :wave:

• Members

It's cool, you go tan some people and I'll play drums for a living. Bye.
:wave:

You have been by far the most intertaning person I have chatted with in a real long time... You got any clips of your band or bands... I would love to hear it...

Do you know how many chicks come in and tan in a day??? Lots of eye candy.. LOL I also farm which provides much of the world with rice and soy bean... NE arkansas is one of the largest producers of rice in the world..

YOu got a myspace or some clips??? Would love to hear your stuff.

onehourburn

• Members

It's cool, you go tan some people and I'll play drums for a living. Bye.
:wave:

I will post some clips of me playing as soon as my headphones get in... I have posted a few in the past on the amp forum put now that I will have some headphones it will be a lot easier.

later

onehourburn

• Members

You have been by far the most intertaning person I have chatted with in a real long time... You got any clips of your band or bands... I would love to hear it...

Do you know how many chicks come in and tan in a day??? Lots of eye candy.. LOL I also farm which provides much of the world with rice and soy bean... NE arkansas is one of the largest producers of rice in the world..

YOu got a myspace or some clips??? Would love to hear your stuff.

onehourburn

Dude I'm being an asshole, sorry. :(

Check your PM box - I've left you a surprise. :)

• Members

Just got one of these and just want to know what tention settings do you use..

For Toms, snare, bass both tops and bottoms...

I am a noobie and just looking at what you guys use so I can try them out and see what I like...

Thanks

onehourburn

i set mine to 7 for both sides of toms, 7 1/2 for both sides of kick drum and snare.

fuck the naysayers, the thing works for me.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by rhino bucket

i set mine to 7 for both sides of toms, 7 1/2 for both sides of kick drum and snare.

fuck the naysayers, the thing works for me.
:thu:

So I guess I need to go fuck myself then. Hell, if I could do that, I'd have saved myself a ton of money over the course of a lifetime, not to mention I'd probably still be single and wouldn't get out of the house much.

Easier said than done, I guess.

• Members

DUDE!!! I am not sure what you dont understand about me not being the drummer... I just got these drums to have around for others to play... I actually only know one drummer and he does not know how to tune nore will he learn any time soon... He dont even have e-net...

I just want them close to what it should be... I dont give a rats ass if its in perfect tune... This drum set will never be used live or to record... Its just for fun and jamming...

onehourburn

Drummer looking for band who has guitarist to buy new drums!!!:idea:

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Hi Guys,

I understand the comments about these torque keys.  I have been playing drums for over 40 years and still a gigging musician/studio work.  There are so many variances when it comes to tuning.  Everybody has different reasons, music type, venue, make of drums and a million other things we need to concern ourselves with.

I have recently purchases one of these keys but have not used it yet.  I am sure it will be a great starting point but here is another quick method I have used in the past that works.

1) Instead of tightening the lugs 'finger tight' when you first put the hoop on the drum, I tighten the lugs just to the point when they touch the hoop.

2) Then use a regular tuning key and turn the key 360 degress on each lug using he cross pattern method.

3) Check the head by pushing lightly in the middle of the head to make sure there are no wrinkles around the bearing edge at the hoop.

4) Then it usually takes another 1/4 turn on each lug to bring into tune.

That is a very quick way to get to a decent pitch.  If you want a long sustain on the drum when you strick it, tune the batter head slightly higher than the reso (another 1/4 turn).

There is no magic or secret to tuning drums.  It is just like anything else on a kit - practice.  I've tuned to piano notes, tone generators, with guitars etc.  Nothing seems to beat our ears.  Just take your time, tune in a quiet room and don't get frustrated.  Training your ears to tune is another rudiment we need to practice.  I have worked for a couple of hours on one drum until it was at a note that I liked.  As for the 'note' to tune your toms at as you work your way down the kit, I use the 'Three Blind Mice' song as a referenece.

Sing the words 'Three Blind Mice' as we all know that song.  Tune your highest (smallest) tom to where you like it and use the song to tune your next two toms.  Again, it is a good starting point.  My kit has 4 toms and there are times when I am playing 6 or 2 toms on the kit.

Just have fun.  Remember playing music is suppose to bring a smile to your face - not get all ticked off and frustrated. Enjoy the journey!

Happy drumming my friends.

Mark

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Ironically I have owned the Evans Torque Key Drum Tuning Key for about 4 years and never really knew what it was for till tonight -- as I have ordered a new drum kit I am waiting to receive -- so thanks Drum Monkey for the advice.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'll go against the grain here as well.

I have one and it works.

It works well on the 1968 Ludwig kit I've had since I was 12 years old.  I'm now 44.

I use emperor batters and ambassador resonants.

My lugs are clean, this kit has been kept pretty well, but it is a gigging kit and my workhorse for all things.

I do also have a drum dial, and a tune bot.

For swapping out heads and emergency situations I find the torque key, in my experience has been a pretty good tool.

It gets me pretty dang close to the pitch I want without tapping drums, taking them off stands, flipping them over etc.

Yes there will be variables.  And for recording a tune bot wins.  

But for the price this is a pretty handy tool.

I find the settings of 4-6 as mentioned earlier to be about where I hang out as well.

It's a quick and cheap way to enter the ballpark of getting tuned.

Just my opinion.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 2/17/2006 at 9:41 AM, onehourburn said:

Originally posted by gcdrummer

The problem w/ a torque key is that just becasue a lug is torqed to a specific number, that doesn't mean the head is going to be the same tension all the way around. If the lug isn't as lubed as the others, it will give you a different reading.

Thanks for the info

onehourburn

• 4 weeks later...