OT, tablets...

cdawg

• Members

ok, i've been looking at cheap tablets (mainly b/c i'm getting one for my kid for xmas, but it peaked my interest.)

anyone have one, besides the ipad?  i'd like to stay away from apple, looking at android.

this is what i'm considering:

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/barnes-noble-nook-hd/4505-3126_7-35471747.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/google-nexus-7-16gb/4505-3126_7-35338334.html

any thoughts?

• Members

How old is your kid? 

My soon to be 5 year old has a Nabi.  It's a tablet that's build for kids (rugged) and it has apps for learning etc.  The nice thing is that you can limit what internet access it can have through the apps.  Your son may be too old for it, but it's worth a look. 

• Members

my kid's five too. i think the nabi's overpriced, i'm going with an ematic fun tab:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20961866&cp=2255956.2273442.2255964.20469696.19948766&parentPage=family

my first post was more for me. i just can't justify spending $4-500 on a tab when i'm mainly gonna use it for internet, netflix and some minor gaming.

the nexus 7 looks great, but the lack of an sd slot is a major bummer.

the nook hd looks alright (has the sd slot,) but doesn't look as beefy tech-wise.

both are good to go with google play, so no app problem there, i suppose.

any thoughts?

• Members

We bought the Google Nexus 7 last year for my step son. Now I don't know much about all the stuff or how tablets really work. but it was REALLY nice to have on vacation. We were able to view our flight plan on the plane, I was able to check my e-mail and Facebook while I was gone in wi-fi areas, it stores e-books, magazines, buy and play movies through Google play. and just recently, was able to download Netflix for free and can now watch movies anywhere around the house with it! (We have wi-fi in the house and a Netflix account already)

Is like a hybrid between a smart phone and a laptop. I think we paid $275 for it at Wal-Mart when it was new and just out. I think they're now lower? like $199?? To me, I think it's a little too  much tech for a 5 yr old? It would be great for a teen or around that age. My step son is grown but slightly mentally handicapped, he uses his smart cell phone more and his home comp and games a lot more so the Nexus sat for awhile and went months without charging, original charger wasn't working, and talked to guy at cell phone repair shop and he recommended first try new charger (which is just like many cell chargers now) and now it charges and works fine now.  

Biggest cons I've found has been headphone and charging plug is right where the case strap is and is stereo if you listen on headphones, but is only one external speaker on the back of the tab with the headphones unplugged. Also it does have a camera, but I've heard it's tough to set up the software for it and we haven't even tried it.

Perfect for teen and older and you're looking for a web surfer that picks up wi-fi or read e-books, mags, or download movies. Something bigger than a cell but not as cummbersome as a laptop. Wife and I have taken over it now and is perfect for stayin in touch through the web while on vacation or around town, watching Netfix in some corner of the house by yourself. Looking up rest. or stores while in a wi-fi zone in town. Hope this helps!   I think now, if I was to do it all over again, I would do like my bro said and get a Kindle Fire big screen. but a year ago, they were out of stock EVERYWHERE.  But we're also VERY happy with the Nexus for the stuff we do.

• Members

that's awesome, thank you so much!!

i have been looking at the nexus 7, and it's currently in the running (along with a lenovo ideatab (they have a 10" version around the same price, hmmm...)

nice to hear someone who actually has the nexus, i've read good reviews. but the lack of memory expandability concerns me.

Archived