V-Drum Advice

Nijyo

• Members

Hey folks,

Years ago I loaned a friend a Roland V-Tour set (the one with, iirc, the TD-6 brain and the mesh head snare, toms and kick, but not the mechanical hi-hat -- it also had that really, long curved frame  that didn't fold up) and she used it for a few years but now I'm getting it back from her.

Looking for some advice on usability in general if I were looking to get it upgraded a little.  She says all the sensors still work in the crash/ride units and the mesh units are good.  I think I'd like to replace the frame with something that folds up better, and I imagine the sampling from the brain is fairly primitive compared to what is available today. Finally, a hi-hat that actually behaves like a hi-hat would be nice.

How much would I be in for, cost-wise, with that sort of goal in mind?  Are those frames generally standardized in terms of how the clamps act on the arms and what not?  Is the brain worth upgrading if I'm not really going to do a lot of different sounds (or funky electronic sounding things?)

Thanks!

• Members

The TD6 is still a decent module.

I play a TD 9 but I use edrums primarily as a trigger for BFD2 (and now BFD3 is out).   If everything is running well and you have a decent computer I would recommend triggering software like that or Superior drummer. 

Far far better than even the very best modules out today. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

soundcreation wrote:

The TD6 is still a decent module.

I play a TD 9 but I use edrums primarily as a trigger for BFD2 (and now BFD3 is out).   If everything is running well and you have a decent computer I would recommend triggering software like that or Superior drummer. 

Far far better than even the very best modules out today. 

That's really interesting.  I'll look into it.  Is that something that is practical to use live, or more of a studio-oriented thing?

Archived