Esteban guitars? Good or just hype??

twosticks

• Members
On 2/11/2020 at 11:50 PM, daddymack said:

well, sorry, not everyone can afford to drop over a thousand dollars on a guitar...:rolleyes2:

oh how stupid of me. then just get what you can afford? If two different guitars are the same price, then they have the same level of quality. like say two $200 from different manufacturers, you will have similar things to say about since the price is the same. right  ? 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, mbengs1 said:

oh how stupid of me. then just get what you can afford? If two different guitars are the same price, then they have the same level of quality. like say two $200 from different manufacturers, you will have similar things to say about since the price is the same. right  ? 

Bengs, you really do not understand how the world works. You can set a price on a product regardless of 'value'; there are no absolutes.

That is like saying that a car by a major manufacturer [like Honda, Toyota, Nissan] that sells for $5000 used, is no better than a used car by a another manufacturer [like Kia, or Ford] that sells for the same price? No, price is not the arbiter of quality, anymore than looks are. I would buy a seven year old used Honda before I bought a 5 year old Ford for the same price....

Look at a $150 Yamaha classical guitar, and look at a Chinese no-name that 'retails' for $150. Which would you buy? The price is the same, but when you examine them, as to construction, tone, playability and serviceability, and consider resale value, the $150 you spent on the Yamaha will  be the better investment on several levels. The Chinese guitar may have more 'bling', a fancier rosette, lavish binding, whatever, but at the end of the day, which sounds better and will last longer? Which is not to say that the no-name is junk, but you know nothing of their history of manufacturing guitars, what their QC processes are, where their woods are or come from, if they kiln dry their woods, what the laminates are, what the  truss rod adjustments are [many are pushed to the extreme to make the neck playable, leaving no future adjustment to accommodate wood aging or environmental factors] whereas Yamaha is a known quantity with a history of well made instruments.

I realize that you do not have the giant retailers in the PI like we have here, where you can play a wide variety of guitars by a wide variety of manufacturers and compare them side by side, but to assume price is the gauge of quality is to play into the hands of the hucksters. There are actually cases where a lower priced guitar is actually the better deal...go figure.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 2/10/2020 at 12:53 PM, GodFog said:

I've read all of the comments posted here & while I appreciate the info., I'm a bit taken back by them. I've been playing for 40+ yrs. & have had some really GOOD guitars...& some really BAD guitars. I'd been looking for an inexpensive "Classical/Nylon string" guitar just for playing around the house with. I didn't want & or needed to spend a lot of money for one as it was just for myself. I went to a "Reputable Music Store" website in their "Used Guitars" for sale & came across the: "Esteban Duende" black Classical/Nylon string guitar for sale for $50.00! It had the "Inlays/Decals" on the front & back, with "Active Electronics" in it, with a hardshell case for it. I bought it! I didn't have ANY "pre-conceived" ideas about it & or "bias-ed pre-judgements" ahead of getting it in hand. I'd heard of this "Brand-name" in the past before, somewhere, but I didn't recall it's origin. I'd learned that buying a guitar is up to the individuals personal preference & likes/dislikes & to "keep an open mind" when choosing a guitar. Certain "Basic principal's" should apply when choosing a guitar to buy. Those that have some yrs. under their belts with playing guitar, know "WHICH" guitars are known to be "BETTER" makes/models & brands than others. Of course, the "BETTER" the manufacturer "NAME/BRAND" is, the MORE the cost of the guitar & usually, the quality & guitar playability/sound also! Upon receiving the "Esteban" guitar, I sat down & started to play it. For me, I was very surprised & delighted to find, that the "action, intonation, neck, fret width, tuning, SOUND &  BUILD, were ALL BETTER than I had expected & anticipated! In ALL, I was very pleasantly surprised by this guitar! Now then, is it EQUAL TO: "Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Guild, Goya, Fender, Yamaha" brand guitars? ABSO- LUTELY NOT!...BUT...was...I...happy with my purchase & guitar? VERY! It "Filled" my "NEED(s)/WANT(s)" for a "Nylon string/Classical style" guitar. I'm NOT using & or playing it out every night in a "Professional" setting & or trying to "Impress" anyone with "HOW MUCH I SPENT" on it either! I had checked this guitar over carefully to make sure it was "solid" in it's build, neck reinforcement, structural build & playability & sound quality..for...ME & MY..."NEED(s) & WANT(s)"...& I am VERY pleased with my guitar!...&...THAT... is the important thing! I didn't expect or anticipate it playing/sounding/ looking/ BEING...a $500.00 & up "Type or Brand" of guitar! I paid for a "Used" guitar! I put a set of "Grover" tuner's on it ONLY because I had an extra set at home & I personally prefer them to ALL other tuner's! This guitars "Active Electronics" on it worked just fine for WHAT I NEEDED & WANTED from it!...My "POINT" in ALL of "THIS" is that a guitar is a "personal" thing. IF a person buys a guitar that THEY are HAPPY with...THAT'S...the MOST IMPORTANT "FACTOR" of ALL! IF it does'nt "MEET" your needs & or wants... Do NOT...buy it! You won't be disappoint- ed then!

Holy {censored}. Please learn how to properly use punctuation before writing anything else. You don't just throw hyphens and quotation marks in at random. They have specific roles and uses.

Archived