How to get a start gigging at bars??

andychims

• Members

My band got started a few months ago and I think we're pretty good (i know, every band is saying that about themselves). I would like to start playing in bars in central Philadelphia. What is the best route to get started? Make a cheap demo and hand them out to dive bars and work my way up to better bars? Also, what should i be expected as far as pay? Thanks

• Members

Start going to the bars that have live music, if you're not familiar with which places have live music. Most of them are in Old City/South Steet area from what I recall, although you can try places around Penn, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Villanova, etc. Try and talk to some of the bands after their set about how they got booked, who to talk to and such. Contact the person responsible for booking, and find out what they need - keep demo CDs handy to send to them. As for money, it's totally negotiable - a fixed rate for the night, or a cut of the door.

• Members

Start looking in the 'burbs first so you can get stage experience.

Go to live music clubs, press the flesh .... make contacts with other bands

Play at open mic's

When you finally hook that first gig .... get EVERYONE you know to show up. Promote the hell out of it. If you get a good turnout they will have you back.

• Members

Also, what should i be expected as far as pay?

This one got a good chuckle out of me....but you have to understand I am located in L.A.

Here in L.A. the answer would be: you shouldn't expect to pay more than $1,000 to have a 25mn slot in a club on a Sunday night or a monday night, for starters.

Hahaha! It's true. I've been there. I know, shame on me. I'll never do it again.

But the universal truth if you want to talk about $$$, I guess, is to consider your band as a business. What can you do for the club? If you want them to pay you, you have to offer them a service. I doubt they consider playing music on stage a service. Now bringing 50 or 100 thirsty fans in their bar for an hour or two, now that's a good service to them, and one that you can negotiate money for.

So before asking how much money you can ask them, ask yourself how many people you're going to bring them, how long they're going to stay, and how many beers they'll order.

Not very artistic, I know. But you were the first one mentioning pay, right? ;)

• Members

the Bent Elbow in Maniunk ( sp? ), my friend's band usd to play there when they were new

Places that pay do so in two ways: 1.) Flat Fee 2.) Cut of the door

Flat Fees are nice to get, but they are few and far between, at least out here in AZ. Also, it gives the club owner more of a chance to screw with your pay on a whim ( he's the one handing you the cash .... )

Cut of the Door is good, because if you pack the place, you'll most likely get more $$$ than a flat fee. Also, it's harder for the club owner to screw you over ( unless club employees are running the door )

• Members

Here is the answer I made to a similar post back in the spring:

My new band, Deep Under Dirt, recently started gigging as well - we have found gigs easy to come by and we don't even have a demo yet! Here are some pointers (I have been in other bands as well - well many years ago, so I do have experience here):

Some quick pointers before you start: get the band together and decide when you can play (day and time), have your schedule handy when calling clubs (nothing worse than saying you have to get back with them), be as professional as possible, even say you are representing "so and so" band and would like to book them, don't be afraid to go a little out of your genre if there are not many clubs that book bands like you have (if you play classic rock, some blues bars or even hard rock bars will have you), and finally, be prepared to play the week you call -- I have found that club owners need bands for the upcoming weekend because one has dropped out.

1. Get the local "scene" paper, you know the one that is free everywhere and lists bars, clubs, concerts, massage parlors and the likes. Start going down the list and calling them, asking for the booking person. Some will book you then and there, others will ask you to send in or drop by as press kit and CD. Write down the address, get the name of the booker, and ask if you can drop the kit by. Mail it and drop it by. Get to know the bookers in person and by name.

2. Get the local music magazine and do the same, lots of clubs listed say either send a demo to an address or list a phone number for booking info. Here, you are looking for the ones that don't ask for the demo or press kit. Do the same as above.

3. OK, here is the deal with the demo -- they are a pain in the ass to make and take a lot of time. For most us part time musicians, gigging and recording just don't fit into the schedule. If you have to gig now (I would prefer to play live than record!), either set out to record a practice as best you can with a live setup. If you can spare the change and can get a few hours in a studio to do three songs, great, but have your {censored} together before you even think of this. CDs are better than tapes these days. If what you get sounds OK but is not studio quality, let the club owner know that - tell them you are working on a real demo (you should be anyway) but really want to get out and gig now. Most of these guys are pretty cool, at least that's my experience. Yes, there are some pricks who run clubs out there - and if you are one of them and reading this, lighten up, it's tough for all of us.

4. Short press kit with demo -- band photo, short bio of band and members, flyers from old gigs (shows you promote), and anything else that might be relevant - articles, reviews, etc. Fancy is good, but this stuff nicely placed in a folder works also.

5. See if you can leverage relationships that other bands have forged with clubs. Most people in bands have other friends in bands. See if they can hook you up. There is not enough "band helping band" {censored} going on - needs to be.

6. Tell the club you promote, and damn it, go promote once you get the gig. Hang flyers (headshops, music stores, schools), Web marketing, Web site, call friends, send emails, flyers on windsheilds (pool halls, headshops, clubs, titty bars, etc). Of course, the more people you get out and let the club make some money, the better your chances are of getting asked back again.

7. Play your ass off when you get the gig. Standing around does not cut it. Be energetic, thank the club, and ask for another gig as soon as your done playing -- if the club owner likes you, you will probably get one.

Well, that's enough for now, have fun and good luck!!

• Members

thats great advice dallasmopar. I remember making my first demo. Our old singer (who isn't very good) paid for all of it, and now we kicked him out, and haven't been asked to play by several places because (i think) our demo sucks. 1200 bucks down the drain. Oh well, the studio sure was fun!!

Archived