? about renting a place to put on a show.. (legalities, etc..)

drummer_jay

• Members

We are thinking about going around to several different colleges in this winter to promote our Promo CD. If we do this, we would most likely rent a place and put the show on there. I have friends at alot of colleges and thats the ones we're going to hit first. Basically I'll send them the flyers and they will handle promotion. My main conerns are things like security, travel, alcohol, etc... Not many frat boys and soroity sisters are gonna wanna come watch a band if there is no Alcohol.... We were thinking about doing a 5 dollars gets you in the door and you can drink all the keg beer you want. Sound good? BUT... Can we get in trouble doing this? We would card at the door. (not to hard though) ;) Do we have to have a license or can we get around this because people are paying to watch the band and oopps.. theres a keg there too!! Also, if you all have any tips on getting this promoted and such, that'd be great!!

Thanks, Jason Bradley

www.321pranxter.com

• Members

You would need a liquor license for each venue, plus you would have to provide adequate security. You'll be shut down by the cops and fined/arrested for not having the permit to sell alcohol, and having the necessary security is a bit of insurance against a lawsuit if someone gets hurt and blames poor security.

You'll also be raided if the cops suspect any underage drinkers, and shut you down if the cops find any underage drinkers.

• Members

I don't know about what Rob said. I think you'd be able to find a venue you can rent that already has a liqour license. If you rented a hall for a wedding, you wouldn't need to get a liqour license or security right? This isn't much of a difference. Anyway, if your friends are all frat boys, why not just play at the house? They probably have an entertainmnet budget anyway, and can take responsibility for the whole thing. So, what kind of venues were you thinking of renting?

Ken

• Members

I was thinking about places Like VFW halls and stuff. They usually are pretty big and sell alcohol. BUT, I can't remember if they card you at the bar, or if the band is responsable for that at the door. I think there is ways around the alcohol thing. Just don't advertise as 5 dollars gets you in a free alcohol. If they show up, and then decide to drink out of the free kegs, that can't be our problem!! Security is a concern, but I wouldn't know how to go about that. We could play at the frat houses.. but most arn't big enough to handle the loud band and 100-300 drunk people!!

• Members

Originally posted by kenm

I don't know about what Rob said. I think you'd be able to find a venue you can rent that already has a liqour license. If you rented a hall for a wedding, you wouldn't need to get a liqour license or security right? This isn't much of a difference. Anyway, if your friends are all frat boys, why not just play at the house? They probably have an entertainmnet budget anyway, and can take responsibility for the whole thing. So, what kind of venues were you thinking of renting?

Ken

Depends on the hall you rent. Most weddings I've been to have had receptions in halls where the wedding party was indeed responsible for the alcohol permit as well as the carding at the bar.

• Members

Originally posted by drummer_jay

I think there is ways around the alcohol thing. Just don't advertise as 5 dollars gets you in a free alcohol. If they show up, and then decide to drink out of the free kegs, that can't be our problem!!

I hope you have a good lawyer.

Otherwise, just play it safe. Confirm with the hall if you need a permit or if they have one that will cover your event. Either way, make sure you have a valid permit.

Also verify with the hall if they card at the bar or if you card at the door. To be safe, always assume that you have to do the carding yourself.

Taking care of those two things will save you a lot of hassles with the law should they come snooping around.

• Members

Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob

Depends on the hall you rent. Most weddings I've been to have had receptions in halls where the wedding party was indeed responsible for the alcohol permit as well as the carding at the bar.

Most weddings don't throw the doors open to the public and charge a cover, either. A wedding is a private party. As soon as you charge cover and invite the public, it's a new ball game with a different set of rules and liabilities.

• Members

Or you could try to get an agency or management company who deals with the National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) to help you get gigs at the colleges themselves.

NACA is an organization that helps colleges put together tours with entertainers so that the colleges get a good price and the bands dates are covered. I was involved when in college, and we used to pay most acts $800- $1500 a gig (depending on date and time and quality) and the money is guaranteed, not like throwing your own gig. The campus activity folks do the promo, and usually supply a few people for load in and out. The band I run sound for now has done many of these gigs and it's helping us out a lot. We got on 180 college radio stations and now some commercial radio is picking it up. NACA only works with bands who are represented by a member ageny or management co though.

http://www.naca.org/

• Members

Find a local VFW or ELKs lodge and make a deal with them. You play and get a cut of the gate. They get the rest of the gate and the alcohol sales. They police the underage drinkers and provide insurance, security etc....

Archived