Sign in to follow this  
drummerjoe

Christian Bands = easy way to get signed/fans/money?

I have heard a lot of what I would consider to be pseudo christian bands. Both local and non. They dont really have "preachy" songs (spare maybe a few) but they are geared to more.... wholesome, upbeat music. No cussing, no obscene shit etc etc.... they seem to do well in their little genre... Now I have heard that it is very easy to get signed to christian labels, and get christian gigs. Is this true? If so, how do you feel about it? Some of these bands arent christian acting, as far as being total dickwads (but who says all christians arent pricks) ... But the local bands who sign to christian labels seem to get a jump in getting to play bigger gigs, getting more financial support etc than other more talented similar local bands.... Its like... Take 2 upbeat pop rock bands. Good catchy songs, average musician ship... One goes to a christian label and immediatly gets to play huge youth conventions, label buys vans/gear etc.... The other one is still waiting for non christian indy label to come along... Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

I couldn't agree with you more. I have nothing against christian bands (hey I'm in one) but most of the absolutely suck. If you are in a rock band you suck you could easily make the move to being a christian band. There are some good christian bands but I hardly ever listen to them. I have heard most of their songs just to get a taste of the genre and I do like a lot of different types of music, but it's worse than country.

I think if you want to have a christian band that's great. Actions speak louder than words though. You shouldn't really stress the fact that you're a christian band. I don't want people to listen to my band just because it's christian, but it happens.

I don't think I'd ever sign to one of those christian cd labels. BTW what label did pod sign for? I hate them and their music sucks but I like the way they go about being a christian band.

Yeah I know the name of it I just can't think of it right now. I'm gonna go to bed too so I'm too lazy to look it up, lol. There was something like this in the guitar forum about a week ago.

The idea that Christians have it easier getting signed and have more money than the average band is a popular myth. The truth is the Christian music business operates just like the secular industry does. They do sample groups, they do test marketing, they run their record companies much like any other record companies. They only produce what they think will sell. However, the main difference is that most Christian bands do not see fame and fortune as the goal or mark of success, but rather their ministry and glorifying God as the main point. Don't get me wrong, many are well paid and depend on a healthy income, but that is not the main point. I had a friend who was an A&R rep for Maranatha records for a few years, and actually produced a couple of their CDs. I was dismayed to find out how much the Christian music industry is a carbon copy of it's secular counterpart. And those youth rallies, etc etc? Hey, maybe by the time a bband reached that point, they're making some decent coin, but having played in a decent Christian band several years back I can assure you that we played mostly for "love offerings", which meant gas money and a burger at In-n-Out. Christians as a whole are not as rich or as generous as one would think.

If anyone is familiar with the band King's X, they are a christian band. They are great musicians but they do not preach anything and you would never know it by their songs and they used to be signed to Atlantic but are now on a smaller label.

I would think that if you advertise yourself as a christian band you would be limiting your potential audience right from the start. By as someone in a previous post stated, that is not the band's primary goal. There was also the metal band Stryper from the 80's that was a christian band and had a pretty good run for a few years.

Yes, this is a HUGE MYTH. Trust me,

having been friends with (and worked on albums with)

guys that are in that scene I can tell you that it operates just like the secular business. In fact, the last guy I worked with is doing better without the "label" of being a Christian. He simply writes songs and records them- whatever he sings about (CHristian or otherwise) is all right there. His new album is out now (YEAH!) and in the liner notes you will see a "special thanks" to me for my small contributions in helping him to finish up some tunes. He is signed to Blue Rose records in Germany and is promoted as an "Americana" artist. here is his website:

www.fredharing.com

He's a friend of mine that is having some successes, but originally he had gone the "Christian musician" route-IT REALLY SUCKED!

There are actually ALOT more expectations put on people by the labels etc.. just because they are "Christian". Even the old band Stryper eventually left their label and signed with a secular label (metal blade records) because of the crap they had to endure from their label.

Check out Fred's new album. The last album was great, produced by Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) and I'm excited to hear how the new one came out since I left town halfway through to go to school in DC.

Peace,

Bryan

I was more intrested in the aspect of "sort of" labeling yourself with christian music. That way you can get both the secular shows and the christian shows... thus doubling your chances to get money.

this is a great topic. its one i've gone back and forth on for the last year or so. i am in the process of building a band, we play songs i've written, all of us are christians, everything's cool. but the thing is we aren't sure how we want to market ourselves. my songs are too heavy for the youth group praise and worship circuit but they aren't heavy enough to play the hardcore/punk places...those are the only real christian venues. we haven't ever really made a big deal of being a christian band. i see the music as simply music i love to play and want to use it more as a springboard to meet people and help them out spiritually/emotionally however i can. i don't write basic CCM lyrics that have to say jesus so many times in the verse then recite something cliched about God in the chorus. there are plenty of people who do that already. after thinking it over and praying about it, i think i am gonna avoid the christian label because of its confining qualities. i like the way pod has handled their newfound fame. i would like to approach music in a similar manner. But i don't really know what kind of venues to go for. i live in birmingham alabama and i don't know of many places for bands to play that aren't swarming with drunks, which is something i would like to avoid...so to curtail this epic post i guess i would just like to bump this and echo the thoughts of those before...

King's X is great! Despite what some people said it is still easier to get signed to a christian label than a regular label. It sounds like some of the local bands talked about here are good. I've seen plenty of bands that suck. They can just afford to stay in the business because they're labeled as a christian band. I'm not saying they're rich but it is easier to get signed if you suck.

Im pretty sure POD is on a major label.

For every POD out there, there are about 2 grillion bands you've never heard of.

Originally posted by incubass

Good luck!

Pod is signed to a major record label. Can anyone give me all the labels they were signed too, and what other bands the current label has signed? Thanks. I guess I'll just look myself actually......

Originally posted by Scheming Demon

If anyone is familiar with the band King's X, they are a christian band. They are great musicians but they do not preach anything and you would never know it by their songs and they used to be signed to Atlantic but are now on a smaller label.

I would think that if you advertise yourself as a christian band you would be limiting your potential audience right from the start. By as someone in a previous post stated, that is not the band's primary goal. There was also the metal band Stryper from the 80's that was a christian band and had a pretty good run for a few years.

Interestingly enough, King's X is now on the label, Metal Blade, which is also home to some of the lamest, satan-spewing obscure metal bands you could imagine. They kick ass though. Just opened a show for 'em in Sacramento a few weeks ago, and they ruled.

I can gurantee that the Christian label scene is the same as the secular...

You have your major labels in the secular market and major labels in the Christian market... You have small indie-labels in the secular market and small labels in the Christian market...

Anyone who think's that Christian bands only say that they're Christian for money should check out the many small Christian bands on labels like: Tooth & Nail Records - Punk Rock,

Solid State Records- Hard Core and Heavy Metal,

BEC Records - pop rock and some rock n' roll too...

Not only can these bands compete with the best in their genres in the secular market, but they're the coolest, most least arrogant people I've ever met...

By the way... POD is currently signed on Atlantic Records...

-Publicstate

POD is like public state said on atlantic records. they were previously on an indie label called rescue records. i've been following POD since they were really small and on rescue and they were sooo underground it is mindblowing to see where they are now...

Originally posted by drummerjoe

I was more intrested in the aspect of "sort of" labeling yourself with christian music. That way you can get both the secular shows and the christian shows... thus doubling your chances to get money.

Well, let's take Creed for example.

People, en Masse, ASSUMED that Creed was a Christian Rock band because of songs like "Arms Wide Open". There was that rumour floating around everywhere, and they did have "spiritual" sounding lyrics.

But they get on TV and say "No, we're not a Christian Rock band."

The situation is this, they are Christian's playing in a rock band...so obviously some of their singer's faith comes through in his lyrics.

Years ago I played in a Christian Rock band, and it was on a Label....and the label held the band up in a production deal....nothing got released, and the band's "hands" were legally bound.

Some band members seriously contemplated commiting physical assault upon a certain talking ass that worked at that label.

So, the Christian label's work exactly like the secular ones do.

Now, if what you do is a Ministry, that is a different story. There can be money made there, and you can maintain a Tax Exempt status, so that all the money taken in is Tax free, and you only have to really pay taxes on the person income of each employee (i.e., bandmembers, crew, etc.)

Several have spoken this, but I wanted to add my .02

I played in and led a Christian classic rock style band for several years in Texas. Great guys, great ministry, great times, little or no money. But you don't do music for the money anyway.

Playing in a "Christian" band, only means that your music and supposedly your life, have differences from secular music and band members. The music's the same, the equipment's the same, the problems are the same. Whether your are obvious, and preach between songs, or leave it to the listener to determine what "This song was written when I didn't have anyone else to turn to..." means, isn't the point. It is harder to make money, it's harder to be respected by fellow musicians I think, and it's harder to "walk the line" necessary to do it right.

But.......................it was a blast!!!!!!!

zaneschroeder

Im a christian. A lousy one i admit willingly....

And im a musician...

But ive never seen myself as a "Christian Musician". And that is the diff. Some players in both the secular and religious genres really grind their beliefs in your face. Whether pro or con... That limits your ability to grow and see other opportunities that may be out there.

I never had a problem playing in bars and clubs and in churches. My faith was stong enough to get me by without much chaos or trouble. But then, i never wore my faith on my sleeve. I never turned away someone who asked, but didnt make a point of marketing it either.

The secular world concentrates on power trips and ego alot more than the christian scene in music. But like its been said, its all there just like in the secular world. Sometimes its more colorful or camoflaged, but the nasty stuff still exists to some extent. I sort of think that if there is alot of money in anything, then evil will find a way to exploit it eventually. It creeps in after awhile...

I played with a popular Christian group for a short while called the "Amigos". Several hit records south of the border in South America. We as a group didnt see much in the nasty stuff but we heard the rumors... So beware, just because its christian doesnt mean its automatically legit. Theives wear all kinds of sheeps clothing these days.

Now then, all that nasty stuff said and done, there are some great opportunities in Christian music. You meet alot of nice people who dont try to beat you up. You make alot of contacts with rich people in small businesses at local churches. You dont have to put up with the sexuality grind MOST of the time. The ladies seem cleaner and smell better and mostly wear hose and heels. :D And the fellowship of your peers adds alot too i believe.

Problems mostly arise around volume and "sound" rather than anything else. Most churches cant handle the volume and if it has distortion the church generally doesnt like it. I know some say this aint true, but in all the churches ive ever played it was.

The only big complaint in this type of music is the cheapness of the patrons and the lack of proper places to perform. For all the wealth ive seen in the congregations of big successful churches there just isnt much to go around when the plate is passed for a BAND. But like you said, you arnt in it for the bucks.

Good luck!

that's a myth. it's just as hard. and don't expect any major labels to come knocking if you're an openly christian band. my band will probably never get any big gigs, because we don't reject the label of Christian Rock

It's still gonna be hard to make it as any kind of band but you have to admit that if you are in a christian band instead of a rock band you're allready gonna have a following.

Sort of i guess...

I mean, you dont have near the places to play for an income so you arnt generating a REAL following of fans other than a few kids in each church. I would imagine that the ratio of SEEN bands in Christian videos and shows to the number of them that exist is pretty far apart just like in secular music.

Now for the bigtime bands in any genre the following comes as much from tv and radio as anything else. Its getting there in any genre thats the trick. Its hard to get exposure that benefits a band when your fan base is restricted (sort of) to local churches and a very few events each year. I think the churches can/could do more as a regional thing to promote local groups. Especially at regional retreats where many kids go in the summer.

The original post is very wrong. I'm not a fan of Christian pop music but the music business is still the music business. The concerns for a Christian pop act are the same for a secular one. The question: "Will this make money?" None of it really has to do with artistic merit.

An artist who panders to a Christian audience is not any better than other artists who pander. Most artists do pander.

i m sorry to inform you that kings x is not a christian band

some of the members are christian but doug pinnick the lead singer and bass player renounced that he was a christian. and said he was a homo sexual at the time he made the statement unless he changed his mind recently he isnt and non of there songs are really christian that i can tell but they do sound cool