WHO owns the copyright when you make a remix?!

• Members

Hi,

On many pop and dance maxi CDs there are plenty of remixes of that track, who can sound completely different from the orignal (when different chords are being used, etc..).

Now I was wondering when you make such a remix if you then own the copyright on your remix or not?! If you make a remix you could argue that a new track with new elements has been created (after all remixes can sound competely different from the original when different chords are being used etc..!!), but at the other hand you also say that a remix is just an interpretation of the original, so no copyright can be claimed by the remixer! What about this?!

I know that remixers are most of the times payed a flat fee for there remix, but I don't know if there is also an agreement that they get the copyright on there remix?!

Or to ask the question in an other way: presume that later an artist would like to cover a *remix* (so NOT the original version) of that song using the different chords being used in that remix and all. From who does the cover artist need to get permission? Does he also need to get permission from the remixer as his song would be based on the remix of that remixer and not the original version?!

Anybody can please clarify how does is in the real world?! Thanks!

Mike.

• Members

Originally posted by Dance123

Hi,

On many pop and dance maxi CDs there are plenty of remixes of that track, who can sound completely different from the orignal (when different chords are being used, etc..).

Now I was wondering when you make such a remix if you then own the copyright on your remix or not?!

You wouldn't own the copyright, but you would probably get an arrangement credit, assuming you didn't get the flat fee and a contract stating the how the rights were to be done up.

If you wanted to cover a remix, you would probably need permission from both artists.

• Members

Hi Rob and others,

But if you wouldn't own the copyright on your remix, why would a cover artist have to get permission from you. Doesn't make legal sense, right?

If you cover a song, isn't it so that you only have to contact the copyright holder(s). Actually I think you only need to get permission from the one who *controls the copyright*, or am I wrong about this. This is mostly the publisher.

Then again, it would be strange that you make a remix with completely different chords, arrangement, etc.. and somebody could cover that without you having anything to say about it. To compensate for that remixers aparently get paid pretty well. But I am afraid that's the way it is, or am I wrong about this?!

Mike.

Archived