Why no real DJ's here?

GoldSeraph

• Members

The answer to the question:

WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU FORGET YOUR HEADPHONES??

to sort out who is a real dj and not...

the ONLY answer my friends is..

YOU DON'T FORGET YOUR HEADPHONES!

but of course if they are stolen.. well that's another story..

and the ANSWER TO THAT IS..

Borrow some or don't play.

unless its a small club with bad sound, then you can probably mix on the fly without too many people noticing. But if its a big club or good sound.. you'll look like a {censored} dj and you won't be hired by too many people in the future.

Its best to pretend you have food sickness rather than play a bad set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This has happened to me on three occasions. And all the parties that I did I still Rocked them. I forgot my headphones what i would do is listen to the song already out on dance floor and I would drop the record and fade back to the song currently playing meanwhile adjusting the pitch then I would drop it again slow or speed the motor down by using my fingers and adjusting the pitch. The only way you can be sweet at blending without headphones is by knowing your records cold. I know my crate like I know how to wipe my ass after I take a {censored}. I coud pick out a record in the dark and tell you what it is and how many beats it has

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

im a real dj well at least last time i checked.....

i have not done a party in like a year or bought any NEW records in about the same amount of time but i do buy old and used records on a weekly baisis (im a vinal junkie). any way i havent been djing partys since i got into producing and makin beats but i still cut my records up.......

• Members

i'm new here so just wanted to say sup to all the fellow dj's, producers, music freaks n gear heads. :) i'm new here but not new to producing. i play multiple instruments n have been producing for about 5 years. been dj'ing almost a year. i usually spin Tek, Tek house, house, latin house, latin tek house, HARD tek, (all different kinds of tek in other word) breaks, all kinds of trance, all kinds of hard house n a lot of stuff that i find n just mix in for the hell of it (long as it fits in my eyes). i also spin a lil differently than most. i don't do the typical outro to intro thang..i constantly mess with the beats, slam {censored} back n forth, do lots of fx work, layer tracks at times (using high's say from one, lows n mids from another, etc...frequency splicing on the fly, with fx work, slammin beats back n forth, mebbe layer an acapella over here n there, etc..to make somethng brand new on the fly). i'm not the best n i have a long way to go but hey, don't we all.

the way i look at it is {censored} the ego's n just spin. if you love it n want it enough, just shut the {censored} up n do it damnit! :eek:;) it's all bout the music n for the love of it. :) i have respect for all types of dj's, producers, genre's etc.. i don't JUST listen to electronic music either, i find my sources all over n will ride beats that are not quantized (when need be), etc.. just a lil background on me.

since i've been in the producing game as long as i have n am a gear whore, feel free to ask away bout anything. i'd be glad to help you guys out. i remember when i was starting out n i wished there was someone to help guide me so i make it a point to always help others..in my eyes, that's just the way it should be..like i said, {censored} the ego's..it's ALL bout the music. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

werd brotha tek, i've found that the djs with the biggest attitudes are those that are least successful or they are really popular in one small town (they're home town or college town) and their heads get too big for the door.

as for producing, don't waste your $$$ on those technical media colleges. spend it on some gear and start reading and talking with other people who produce but definitely get a nice set of monitors and one of those handy audio engineering books.

peace

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by perpetrata

werd brotha tek, i've found that the djs with the biggest attitudes are those that are least successful or they are really popular in one small town (they're home town or college town) and their heads get too big for the door.

as for producing, don't waste your $$$ on those technical media colleges. spend it on some gear and start reading and talking with other people who produce but definitely get a nice set of monitors and one of those handy audio engineering books.

peace

def agreein with you bro. talk is cheap, it's all about just doin it.;) n school for music..BLA...you know how many people i know that graduated from a "music" school n now work at sam ash or guitar center..def a waste in my eyes as well. def better to figure out what u need to learn, study everything u can get your hands on (the net is a BEAUTIFUL thing for this) and Learn, Learn, Learn! it's all about the hands on training..just make music!

• Members

Originally posted by Synne23

so here i am,
:)
This is my 1st post.

I spin progressive and nu-school breaks. Sometimes play with a little prog house but I usually leave that to my partners.

I'm just curious. Exactly WHAT is the difference between progressive and progressive house? surely it's not the beat....

For the record, I've dabbled in the genre myself, but I see it as one genre. No difference 'tween "prog" and "prog house" to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have been a real DJ since 1975. I have done Radio and Clubs too. Hell I was beat mixing back when SNF was on the charts. I have been in Punk bands playing bass and guitar too. These days it is how I am supporting myself. Sadly though, it is mostly Wedding receptions and Birthday parties. During the Summer I get a few Beach Parties too. The clubs where I live are all pretty lame and only play real commercial {censored}. No remixes or anything with EFX, just like radio....boring.

Since I have got my new Pioneer system, with the EFX box, I have been having a bit of fun during the drum breaks when the party actually gets going. I am also enjoying Soulwax and Freelance Hellraiser releases.....now THAT IS DJing! I think what sets me apart from the crowd is the amount of music I bring with me to a gig. I carry over 2500 CDs, to every gig. No way I can play them all, but I can slam Sinatra into Zappa into Van Morrison and really get folks' attention.

I think you are a DJ the moment you get out in front of people and play music. If you are listening to them, they will listen to you. And when you get a crowd going, there is no feeling like it anywhere. The energy just builds and builds, the floor gets crowded and it is happening, right there. BOOM you are a DJ.:cool:

• Members

Ae, Give me some tips on getting into production proper. I'm doing a bog standard course in sequencing - only really dealt with cubase so far so i need advice on where to start. i have sound forge and acid loops and will be getting a few more programmes soon. I want to make my own sounds and beats and take samples etc and mix it all up to make techno and break beat house etc. Where did you start?

• Members

Originally posted by chris_chrys

Ae, Give me some tips on getting into production proper. I'm doing a bog standard course in sequencing - only really dealt with cubase so far so i need advice on where to start. i have sound forge and acid loops and will be getting a few more programmes soon. I want to make my own sounds and beats and take samples etc and mix it all up to make techno and break beat house etc. Where did you start?

well it all depends on your budget

hardware is expensive, software is not so expensive (free if you get warez). also what operating system are you running? mac or windows?

since you're learning cubase i'd stick with that for the time being, a cheap way to get into producing would be to procure cubase from your school and install it at home and start obtaining some vst's, like kontact (good soft sampler) and absynth (soft synth), reason is not bad.

if you're into splurging on hardware there are 2 important aspects:

1: a sampler - get the best one you can possibly afford as the studio will pretty much be centered around the sampler, i {censored}ing love emu ultra samplers, their filters cannot be {censored}ed with, the sampler is where you will sample breakbeats and chop them up however you want and morph them and where you will access all your sounds, every sound will be comming from the sampler

2: an analog or virtual analog synth - this is where you will MAKE your synthy tones, the deep sub bases, the warm pads, the wormy lead tones, the crunchy distorted appregios, they come from the analog or v/a synth. with one of these and a sampler and a sequencer program there is nothing you can't do, sample any real world sounds and morph them however you want and create new synth sounds with the analog/v/a, now the choice is between a real analog synth like a modcan ({censored}ing AWESOME sounding modular synth, also very expensive) or a doepfer or a moog (i do not recommend buying a moog though, they're old as {censored} and overpriced and need constant maintanence and don't sound as good as many modern analogs like the modcan) or you can get a virtual analog like a waldorf or a nord or a virus, the advantage to the v/a's is that they're (generally) cheaper, polyphonic (i.e. they can make more than one sound at once), they have built in effects, they automaticly come with everything right out of the box, they sound pretty good, some of them sound very analog, and they have way more features than a true analog, the benefit to a true analog is the sound is {censored}ing godly, NOTHING can {censored} with the sound of a true analog like a modcan, no virtual analog can begin to touch it, and it's modular which means you can rewire sounds as you like to create new sounds never heard before, and add more modules on, to create new sounds and have more features, the downside is it is monophonic as in only makes one sound at a time, and you have to wire the modules all together which takes a degree of know how, you have to know or at very least learn how to make sounds, like what modules you must wire together and in what order, and then you can begin playing around creating new {censored} that will blow your mind, but if you have a good sampler you don't need all the features of a virutal analog because you'll have them all (and more) in the sampler, the most practical application for this set up is:

create sounds with the analog, sample them into the sampler and save them, then create more sounds and sample them, then all the sounds are comming from the sampler, all organized the way you want them, and then you're sequencing them in cubase or logic or digital performer or whatever, it is a truely effective setup.

but of course there are also software equivilants for all this hardware, except no true analog of course as a computer/software is digital, but you can get softsynths that are set up like modular synths, infact it might be wise to {censored} around with these for a while before dropping 2 grand on a modcan so you can learn what does what, so when you get the modcan you can skip the learning phase and get straight to creating godly synth sounds.

another drawback with hardware is you're need more hardware, like if you get a good sampler and synth you'll need an outboard hardware mixer to run the sampler outputs to while you're sequencing your tracks since it's not completely in the computer relm (where you could just do all that on the computer mixer)

however in general hardware sounds alot better than software and enables you to come up with more original sounds (there's far less people using an emu ultra sampler than that are using say, reason, or vst's) but a good/effective studio combines both hardware and software, hardware for the bulk of it and software for the new sounds and possibilities not yet on hardware.

Archived