Why no real DJ's here?

GoldSeraph

• Members

Wondering why this board doesn't seem to attract more than 4 or 5 actual Djs. I guess Harmony central is just a very guitar and bass centric website . Hrm... all people who actually mix records together or scratch, raise your hands? I mix progressive house and tech house, and am interested in getting into producing when I have the money.

Goldy...

• Members

I spin deep and progressive trance. I've recently become more interesed in production but have yet to decide whether or not I'd like to persue it.

Kind of unfortunate there aren't a few more ideas being tossed around here. It seems that way for just about every dj board I've been to. The only people who ever post anything are beginners looking for help or people asking about equipment. Not that those questions are bad, but it would be nice if people talked about what they did once they figured it out...

• Members

I know what you guys are saying ... I like to add deep house all the way to cheeze trance in my sets...from York , to PVD, to Brother Brown.....:) I just recorded one last night and I am wanted to post it for people to getr ahold of.....any ideas.....?

• Members

Originally posted by DjSpamTin

I mix d&b and idm and generally randomly mess about a little, but mostly scratch

can you send me a mix tape or cd?

ae5

p.o. box 725

hudson, nh

• Members

Originally posted by ae5

can you send me a mix tape or cd?

I haven't got enough vynil to do a mixtape...i've got a 10 breaks/scratch records, but my proper music is limited to 10xd&b, 2xAphex, 2xBoC and 1xAutechre + random Jazz...that's probably enough I guess but to be honest my mixing skills suck and if I want to use 2nd turntable I've got to clear my desk cos there's not enough space. So most of the time I just have the one tt and scratch, it's what I got em for in the first place anyways.

I'll post a file or something when I get round to putting something together....

Cheers!

• Members

Originally posted by Hades25

did you take those photos posted on your website.....they kick ass....like your studio

thanks, yea i did take those. i'm a newbie at photography though, still trying to hack away at it.

• Members

started on trance, still dick with it on occasion, but not really..

dabble in progressive house, still have a place in my heart for hard disco house (the cheeseball in me I guess.), and just about any other reasonable fascimile of a 4/4 beat.

this past fall I put all my real focus into breakbeats and drum n bass. Mostly Drum n Bass. Fast, dancefloor DnB, and a couple experimental tunes here and there.

Still can't afford to produce. YAY! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm real

I'm real

I'm real

woohooooo

here's a dj question to sort out the pretenders..

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU FORGOT YOUR HEADPHONES?!

there is only 1 answer.

if you don't get the answer, you loooooosseee!

• Members

"WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU FORGOT YOUR HEADPHONES?!"

Well, one would put the moniter in the headhone socket and use that to mix, making sure that the sound doesn't leak on to the dancefloor, if that's not possible then send someone to your house to get the headphones, if that's not possible, find the nearest music shop (or shop with headphones), break in and steal a pair (making sure you leave the money for them).

As for real DJ's, what is a real DJ, someone making five thousand a night or someone slapping his dick on a record to make a sound. I'm a Dj, I play progressive house, getting more into techno but play breaks and have some hip hop. I'm really into Turntablism and did my first beat juggle with progressive breaks yesterday. Bring on the DMC's....

I'm also trying to get into production but each time I use the programmes (sound forge and Acid loops on my pc) I end up trying to make something funny or cheesy and pathetic, haven't got past the effects stage. I'm going to do a music production course in october hopefully because it's really the only way to go if you love your music.

"All governments are liars and murderers" - Bill Hicks

• Members

Aren't the pretenders the people that would forget their headphones? I guess you could use the monitors, but then depending on what mixer you're using, you might end up trying to match your beats listening to the monitors against the house speakers. I imagine that would take a little practice... Also, keeping that sound out of the house would be pretty impossible. Kind of a silly question if you ask me though... No real dj goes to anything even remotely resembling a gig without their headphones...

• Members

You could also turn the music really low and hold a needle/pin loosely between the thumb and forefinger pressing it down lightly on the record and putting your ear right next to it and listening. don't worry though, you culd turn the music right up again once the mix is firmly in place and you can here it through the moniter. There'd be a bit of a problem though if you were to use CD's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by guitarizt

Can you real dj's help me out? Can you make a list of names or something? I'm really curious about what I need to get started making cool songs.

a computer and a pair of speakers/headphones. At least for my definition of *making* music.

and this is for the ones that "can´t afford to produce" as well.

Archived