Do you have to be really hot, really weird or really ugly to succeed in “the biz”?

grace_slick

• Members

Really snow? I’ve never heard of that…I looked up some info a couple of years ago and it all said MUST BE ABLE TO SIGHT READ! Blah. Lol.

What do you actually DO? Do you have to learn new songs and then sing ‘em perfectly on the spot? Or is it more cover stuff? I’d be fine with covers if I knew the songs…and if I half know the songs I can learn them in an hour or so.

• Members

Oh god almighty, ok…let’s see…lol. *stroking non-existent beard*

I see you as a…Jeff Buckley but the gentler sounds…a more evolved (and alive) Jeff Buckley with bits of Tim Buckley in him…crossed with Justin Bieber. Nah, just kidding bout the Bieber! lol

• Members

Maybe...I'd still much prefer to see someone who has charisma and talent and who isn't conventionally beautiful than some pretty frilly pansy singer...though I must admit, I'm a hypocrite cause over the years I've developed obsessions and "love affairs" with various female singers, and ALL of them are what I consider beautiful...Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks, Grace Slick...the other ones, like kd Lang, Mama Cass, etc...I admire and love their talent, but...no obsession. Cause they're not hot to me. I'd still take 'em anyday over Zitney Beers and Pisstina Uglylera though.

• Members

Or maybe its cause those types of artists dont come along everyday?
:idk:

or maybe it is that the market has changed since then and now all the little 12 year old girls with daddy's credit card call the shots for the music industry... thus the "justin beiber" phenomenons... it's really pretty obvious... sadly...

• Members

years ago it stopped being about art and became simply $$$... yes, i am astute enough to realize you have to make a profit in order to stay in business... but i'm also smart enough to see the trends that have been going on for the last 30 years in the industry... slowly but surely the art has been replaced by the shock value and the cute factor... most musicians see it, but for the general public? thats another story... they only know what the media spoon feeds them...

• Members

Mmm. Even back in the day though, just as an example, Mama Cass was considered not good enough to be famous or in a popular band...the Mamas & the Papas took ages to get her to join them. She wasn't attractive enough to be popular.

What annoys me is someone with a heap of talent and charisma has to work extra hard to be noticed and accepted, whereas someone cute can just stand around and go "la la la" and it's like WOW! RECORDING CONTRACT!!!

• Members

grace, it is annoying... in live music there is a facet that dictates that we entertain as well as perform our art... they are not one in the same... i always thought that as long as i played my heart out, made the music and performance my show, that it would work out... but then after years of wondering why you could get up on stage and kill from the first to the last note and people would sit like stone and other nights you could get up, couldnt put two notes together without fumbling and come off stage to screaming adoring fans, it struck me that most people dont know {censored} about what we do... face it , most of the general public wouldnt know art if it hit them in the face wrapped around a brick... so you need to sell yourself when youre on stage... sell yourself when youre on break, and play the game PLUS if you're anything like i am you also need to be the best artist that you can be... give everything from the heart and try to tune into the magic that only can be found in performing live music...

• Members

this is a phenomenon that has been in effect since the beginning of time. Often through works of art, the creator will refer back to some magnificent golden age that was better than it is in the present day

this how stories and myths form in every culture

sadly, this is nothing more than hopeful bull{censored}

it takes decades for superior artists to gain popularity because there are only a limited number of individuals with the intellectual capacity to cognize true art

fortunately, these are also the people who manage to preserve it. This is why 3000 years later people still read the Odyssey, and not some bull{censored} {censored}letter Mary J. Rottencroch wrote in the pissditch of some antiquated hoore tavern

• Members

What if I wasn't "cute" enough to make it though? What'd be the point in trying to get out there and do all that, eh?

until you try it, there's no use in trying to explain it... it is something you have to experience and it either takes , or it doesnt... i will say that for myself, there is simply no other experience like it... nothing i have ever done touches it... or comes close... it is fleeting, given to the moment that you exist in it and then it's gone... fading as you find yourself once more in an ordinary reality... some find it in religion, sports, politics, or artificially in drugs or alcohol... but the only place i have ever found it is in performing music...

• Members

cant blame em either, people wanna see a spectacle when goin out

u could listen to music while staying home and beatin off

dont need a gig for that

Total Theater

i'd prefer that to some of the total {censored} i hear while out in the clubs... if i wanted a freak show, i'd go to the mall and hang with the pre-teenagers screaming "LOOK AT ME@!!!!!:

Archived