Do you have to be really hot, really weird or really ugly to succeed in “the biz”?

grace_slick

• Members

I’m at work and right now on the radio there’s a Big Audio Dynamite song playing…you know that guy? He was in The Clash or something before…he’s quite unpleasant to behold. Pale, scrawny, weird eyes, bad teeth, limp hair…yeah. His voice also is nothing to write home about. Lol.

Then you’ve got all the “hot girl” singers and the divas…

Then you get Lady Gaga…not hot, but not ugly either…quite boring to look at in “real life” (without makeup and costumes), but she is ODD and dresses crazily and has become her Gaga persona.

So do you have to be either of these things to be noticed and to make it? And if so, which would you be? Lol. I’d be Lady G. :cool:

• Moderators

Yes, it is. I wonder how we’d all be marketed if we were “out there” in the music industry, eh?

Not really sure. I occasionally think about from time to time. But I have no idea.

DISCUSS!

• Moderators

Gracie, your marketing and image has to coincide with your songs. For image I'm thinking something similar to Imogen Heap, or one of those sensible songstresses. But I think you include more rock-type songs into the mix and might it more interesting and upbeat.

For Vardy, I know he likes stuff like broadway, crossover music and pop like Josh Groban, so maybe something like Josh in terms of image and music.

Ame... let me think on this one. lol

Eightstring's strong point is obviously hard rock. A seasoned rock singer, can't think of any examples at the moment.

Johnny, is more of a singer-songwriter type with sensitive lyrics. maybe like a Modern-day Simon and Garfunkel? lol. i dunno.

I'll think some more later

• Members

Heh, what's a "sensible songstress"? I refuse to ever be compared to anyone ERNEST like the Indigo Girls or Melissa Etheridge. No lesbo singers for me, thanks. I see people like this for me...

Kate Bush weirdness and eccentricity, unique voice

ZZkate.jpg

Goldfrapp more folky but occasionally more electro-stuff

ZZgoldfrapp.jpg

Regina Spektor, piano pop, with weird bits

ZZregina.jpg

For Vardy, I can see a Josh Groban or a broadway-infused RnB kinda guy...that'd be really cool actually! lol

Doesn't Eightstring sound just like Frank Sinatra and stuff? lol. He could be Frank crossed with a hard rock guy. A modern, debonair hard rocker.

Johnny...I keep seeing a young Peter Gabriel cause he sounds like Peter...but yes, Simon & Garfunkel maybe...except there's just one of him. So he could be called Sarfunkel or Gimon. One of 'em. lol

• Members

I was watching some Mamas & Papas Youtube clips to get inspiration for a new song in my head, and I realised...

I don't want to be like Michelle Phillips, even though she was the hot one in the group...

I want to be Mama Cass, in terms of the voice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpzB_Akopug&feature=related

You see? But I can feel that Karen Carpenter vibe in the Michelle Phillips song I posted up there...and I can also feel ME doing that, and I don't WANT that!!!!!!!! Dammit!

*calming down* That is all.

• Members

making it in the biz doesnt necessarily mean being famous or becoming a star... many musicians make a good living playing and singing, giving lessons, writing/performing commercials or jingles, playing covers, doing studio work... and from my perspective it's important to remember that the success stories dont necessarily need to be musical or even sing well... to be a "popular" figure, one needs to be photogenic, look good on stage, have money behind you, and be willing to sacrifice anything to get where you want to be... sad, but thats the industry... on the brighter side, just like i started out saying, you dont need to be a star or famous to "make it" in the biz...

• Members

Gracie, for some reason, I think you might turn out like Jim Morisson - at first an EXTREMELY shy guy, writing lyrics in the privacy of his home and turning his back on the audience cause he couldn't handle the pressure, only to later turn out into a drug fueled monster with an alter ego and constant outbursts. ( Jim was my favorite singer for a long time, so this is a compliment xD )

• Members

Oh my GOD, so I'll end up DEAD!?!? Thanks a bunch! LMAO!

You know...I can see this...if I let fame go to my head...I'd lose it. I know it already. lol. Very sad...tragic even. *tear* lol

I already have outbursts at times, have had issues with drugs, and am weird. So yay me! I look forward to my untimely death at...27...oh wait, I'm already older than that. Damn. lol

• Members

Lol, It's always happy hour some where.

I don't get why people like to get tipsy. I hate it! It's like being permanently dizzy, I can't shake my head to get rid of it.

Drunk is kinda fun though, liquid courage!

I wouldn't mind a Groban-esque image but with a little more edge since I'm an avid gym goer and a health nut.

RnB+Groban? Would be interesting, so his kind of music with RnB style runs and riffs? I'll actually give that a try.

And out of the images you presented Grace, I'd probably pick the diva. I can't go as crazy as Gaga but the less conventional, humble outsider one might work for me too.

• Members

Look, being good-looking helps with everything.

There are studies that show better-looking women get paid more than average looking women in the workplace, better-looking women marry wealthier/more successful men than average or below-average women, etc.

But although looks are a large piece of the pie, they're not the only one.

• Members

These days, for females anyways...hot definitely. "They" can take any pretty face, write some hooky tunes, and then auto-tune her to death. Gaga is an exception, she's not hot persay, but truth be told...she's got some talent and a really great gimmick. IMO, these days artists such as Mama Cass and Janis Joplin, as talented as they were, would have never made it. It's all about being easy on the eyes.

Myself, I would like to marketed Beiber style. Pimp me out at malls and walmart...hehe

• Members

LMAO@beiber, noooooo! Can you imagine that for you!?!? WRONG! *beeep sound of WRONG button on gameshow*

Masklin...I want to make it in the biz so I CAN evolve into what I want to be and not have to do other things that take me away from that...like my day job. BORING! It feels like I'm wasting my time, sitting around, typing...when all I want to do is do MY thing, MY music.

If someone makes it in the biz, they can do their music all the time. In a way. I'm aware it's not that simple and it does then BECOME your day job, which isn't always (and probably is only a minority of the time) being able to actually MAKE music and be creative, which is what I want.

I'd have no interest whatsoever in making it if I couldn't do my own thing. No point.

• Members

Masklin wants to know if he's a hottie or a nottie.

Men don't channel sex appeal from looks in the way women do in the eyes of men.

Regardless, I happen to know that I'm a hottie, I don't need to ask.

Grace, you could always try to become a session musician. They make tons of money, no? Making it in the biz will probably not let you do your thing the way you'd like. Just look at all the IDOL winners.

Archived