NEED HELP!! GIVE ME INPUT!!!

• Members

I have a problem here folks and any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

i can sing higher notes fine but im having difficulty getting volume when i do higher vocals stuff. for example. i have a wide range but when i get up to the higher notes i have to sing them quieter for it to sound good.

im trying to work on my voice now so i can have a good range that i can use for modern rock, 90's rock styles. i dont know if im making any sense here but anyone have tips?

• Members

You need to find your formant(s). When you do, you'll be able to shift volume up and down without changing air usage much, while keeping a fairly consistent timbre.

I don't know how to explain the learning process though. Too bad ;-)

• Members

You need to find your formant(s). When you do, you'll be able to shift volume up and down without changing air usage much, while keeping a fairly consistent timbre.

I don't know how to explain the learning process though. Too bad ;-)

what the hell are you talking about masklin? how do you "find your formant"???? I never heard anyone ever say that before LOL

• Members

i mean notes that are high? how am i supposed to describe it? high notes not low notes high notes

Uh...could you be more vague? I'm gonna assume you're talking about head voice notes then. I don't know what you consider high notes...B4-C5 and above? I'd find some head voice exercises and work on those..sounds like from your OP, in order to make "high notes" sound good, you have to sing them in falsetto?

• Members

Uh...could you be more vague? I'm gonna assume you're talking about head voice notes then. I don't know what you consider high notes...B4-C5 and above? I'd find some head voice exercises and work on those..sounds like from your OP, in order to make "high notes" sound good, you have to sing them in falsetto?

youre speaking a language i havent spoke in at least 10 years.

• Moderators

lol..

if you're serious about singing then maybe you should study your range and know what notes you are singing.

Just sit yourself in front of a piano/keyboard/guitar,etc.. and identify the notes that you're singing.

And you can possibly post a sound clip of yourself singing. That would be helpful in letting us know your situation.

• Members

youre speaking a language i havent spoke in at least 10 years.

English?..lol. Just {censored}ing with ya man. Post up a tune or maybe give an example of a song that you're having trouble with. Like I said before, I'm assuming your talking about notes around the upper tenor range.

I'm gonna take a guess and say you may be pulling your chest voice up too high.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

example of songs:

what a shame-shinedown

diamond eyes-shinedown

not the low parts abviously. the chorus in diamond eyes and the last chorus of what a shame. really just the high note brent smith can sing w/ the "raspy" tone he's got. i can pretty much do all myles kennedy from alter bridge but when i try to get gritty w/ it like brent smith does i lose my breath way quicker. dont know if that helps

• Members

Yeah, the guy from Shinedown has a killer voice. Can you sing those tunes and hit the notes with a clean tone? If so, maybe you're pushing too hard to get that gritty sound? From my own personal experience, I have found that adding grit and growl in, does wear you down a lot quicker than singing clean. Eventually you build up stamina though, as long as your technique is right. If you add in grit and you can feel it in your throat, than you're doing it wrong and it's not healthy. It all comes from the lower abdomen man. Hope that helped?

• Members

it did for the most part. i can sing it clean quietly if im listening to it ya know? if im listening to the cd and im singing quietly to myself i can get that high but if im trying to project my voice it wears me out real quick like you were saying. and when i do add it in i do feel it in my throat a bit, not so much where its painful or anything but still feel it. any tips on how to get the technique down?

• Members

I'd practice on getting the notes projected first and then once you can do it without feeling strained, work on adding the grit in. It's hard to diagnose without a clip of you doing it, but if I had to guess, your trying to pull your chest voice up too high...which would wear you down very quick. The higher stuff Brent Smith is doing is actually in headvoice.

Try this, when your singing along with it, take those quiet notes your doing and see if you can "swell" them into a full projected tone. Try not to force it up with your chest. Those notes are actually easier to sing than lower notes, as long as your not straining and pulling your chest voice up too high.

As far as grit/rasp, this is what works for me. First and foremost, it should never come from your throat. The sensation should almost feel like it's floating over the note...if that makes any sense. Your throat needs to be open and not pinched, this can cause serious damage! In the beginning when your learning the technique, you really need to anchor down and push from the gut. The feeling you get when your taking a {censored} is the best way to describe it, lol. Just sustain an easy mid voice note, and give it a little push with the above mentioned method I described. Practice this sparingly though...it'll wear you out. It gets easier with practice though. Hope this helped some.

PS - I am by no means a qualified teacher, these are just tips I learned along the way from various voice coaches. Thats my disclaimer, lol

• Members

This is a pretty interesting post, I think many people have the opposite issue. Only being able to sing higher notes by belting. Static did give an excellent suggestion in swelling into a full projected tone. All in all building into that type of singing just take time. If you can hit the notes already you at least are that much closer to getting to where you want to be. It's all about building stamina.

Archived