Sign in to follow this  
J.L.C.

Balanced or unbalanced output (TRS vs TS Plug)

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of setting up some recording equipment on my home PC. I'm just going to be recording guitar for the most part.

I'm running my mics into the XLR (balanced) inputs of an M-Audio Audio Buddy preamp.

That is going to connect to an Audiophile 2496 sound card, into the RCA input.

The manual for the preamp says that the output jack is balanced if I use a tip/ring/sleeve plug and unbalanced if I use a mono plug.

So, my question is....which cables and adapters would be the most efficient way to connect the preamp to the comp.

Is TRS to single mono RCA available as a cable? Should I just use a Stereo 1/4" to mono RCAs splitter and connect only the left/mono RCA to the sound card's input?

Do I even need/want balanced output or would it be just as good to just use a mono 1/4" to RCA cable for each channel of the preamp?

Thanks

TRS is a stereo jack wired up with three consuctors. They carry a low impediance the same way an XLR does. You can buy all kinds of adaptor cords that go from TRS to XLR etc. If you do have a sound card with Lo Z inputs it would be cheaper to buy one than have to get a cord plus a hi to low adaptor. If your sound acrd is Hi Z in then just go Hi Z if the run is under 20 feet. In general the output of a preamp will be plenty strong for short runs and a regular Hi Z normal mono cord will be fine. On the input side the exception with microphone tend to get the best gain and sound quality with a low imp in.

There's no sense running the outs balanced if you're connecting to an unbalanced interface. Speaker level signals are not as susceptible to interference as mic level signals anyway, so you should notice no difference over a short run. I'd look for TS to RCA cables--they're easy to find.

Thanks a lot guys

This is my first crack at doing some recording (which is likely obvious). The only tracking I've done in the past was from a Vamp2 to an integrated sound card......I figure it's time to move up a notch in quality.