Sign in to follow this  
6stringmaniac

Looking for cheap home recording set up

Hi,

Im looking for a cheap set up for recording bass, drums, guitar and vocals. I know nothing about recording and what is needed. Could you please explain to me what i would need and what each thing does.

Maybe also recommend me some?

I want to spend as little money as possible. :thu:

If your going to be recording into a computer, you will need an audio interface(USB or FireWire). You said you will be recording drums, so I would go with a FireWire interface so you can record multiple track at the same time. The PreSonus FireStudio Project is a good FireWire interface(http://presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=43). I use this unit for my drums and love it. it comes with Cubase LE 4, a multi track recording software(DAW). You will also need some drum mics, and a vocal mic. where as the guitar and bass plug straight into the FireStudio Project. Price Wise the interface is about $500.00 and drum mics vary, You can get a 7 drum mic set from CAD for about $200.00. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-PRO7-7Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=270749)

Get that Firepod!

For Mics, look into these.

Shure SM57 (Guitar, Snare Drum, Toms, Vocals, hell almost everything.)

100 new, around 80 used

Shure Beta 52 or Audix D6 (Kick Drums)

100-160 used

Rode NT5's (Drum Overheads, Acoustic Guitar)

around 300-400 used

In total, you're going to have to fork out atleast 700-1000$ if you want to record each instrument well, the drums being the most expensive part. If you want, buy a Presonus Firebox and an SM57 to record the Guitars and Vocals, and just program the drums. That will be the cheapest way.

...The PreSonus FireStudio Project is a good FireWire interface(
http://presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=43
). I use this unit for my drums and love it. it comes with Cubase LE 4, a multi track recording software(DAW). You will also need some drum mics, and a vocal mic. where as the guitar and bass plug straight into the FireStudio Project. Price Wise the interface is about $500.00 ...

I just ordered one of these. Music 123 is doing an instant discount deal. Spend $500 or more get $100 off. The Firestudio project is $499 and I added a pack of strings. Came out to just over $403. Plus there's a mail-in rebate from Presonus for a free Inspire. Also, American Musical Supply has it for $499 with a free Faderport, but I don't know if you can still get the free Inspire or not, although I don't see why not.

Thanks for your suggestions. I just have a few questions:

-What is firewire? (Like I said i know very little about home recording)

-Is there any way to do it cheaper?

I wouldnt mind programing in the drums with a program like fruity loops.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Any thing cheaper?

sorry if I appear clueless but I really am. Im getting some books on home recording today

Do ALOT of research before you buy anything and take a look at the Boss line of recorders from the BR600 and up.

I bought:

Tascam DP-01 digital Portastudio $150 on eBay

Yamaha mixer $125 (new)

kick/snare/overhead drum mic's ~$150 on eBay (Audio Technica- medium quality - good enough to learn on and get some decent sounds, and good enough to sell for a decent price later when/if I want to upgrade)

Chords/cables $75

Mic stands $60

Headphones (for monitoring) $30 (on sale, reg. $70)

I needed the mixer in order to get 4 mic's on the drums - the portastudio can only record 2 mic's at a time so the mixer allows me to funnel 4 mic channels into 2 channels on the portastudio. Portastudio took me about 20 minutes to figure out - I recorded a 4 minute song idea with drum parts (with several punched in fixes to screw-ups) and 2 separate vocal tracks within an hour of assembling all the stuff.

I didn't want a pc based system since I am going to be recording where my drums are set-up (in the basement, my pc is upstairs in the office) and I wanted something that is at least sorta portable to take with me to my band's practice space. I am not looking to get pro quality sounds - just demo/idea tracks so I don't waste my money on 50 takes at a real studio.

It is easy to get sold on all kinds of gear. Be clear about what you are going for (journal of song ideas, demo of your band, Grammy winning double platinum international release?) and stick to it - decide if you are a musician looking to record or an up and coming sound engineer producer. Gear-heads at the music store will love to sell you all kinds of crap and you'll hear lot's of "....but for $100 more you can get a really killer...." but for a guitar player putting down song ideas with a drum machine there is no need to pawn your wife's wedding ring to afford the latest gear.

And don't buy new! There are tonnes of guys who get suckered into $2500 worth of stuff that sits in the "Closet of Big Dreams and Hopes" that never gets used. Get their used stuff on eBay for a fraction of what you'd pay new.

Rock on.

Get a Presonus Firebox and a Shure SM57 then. Firewire is a form of connectivity to a computer, sort of like USB.

Do you need to buy a new connector for your computer. Because i dont think my computer has a firewire port

EDIT: Also, will I be able to record the drums, bass,guitar and vocals seperately and then put them all together or do I need something else to do that?

What is it you're unsure about

How much you are willing to spend on this, "as little money as possible" is more than a bit vague.

If you own anything at all that could be used to record? A mic? a mixer? Considering we are looking to pull this off for "as little money as possible" it would be good to know if you have something to work with or not.

If you have a computer you can get started recording for as little as a couple hundred bucks, if you you have a computer and a mixer and a mic you could get started for the couple of dollars it would take to buy the cable that would connect the mixer to your computer.

If you don't own a mixer then I would suggest you look at audio interfaces which are a better deal and generally a better way to go at this overall.

You need to figure out how many tracks you will need to record at once, a full band would need at least eight or ten. Recording by yourself you might use that many if you have a real drum kit or possibly as few as one or two if you don't.

This new interface from M-Audio looks like a real deal for someone starting out:

000022301.jpg

It offers a lot of stuff for not a whole lot of money, if you look around it goes for as little as $269.00 brand new. It would be good for single musician recording one or two tracks at a time but it can do a bunch more than that if you suddenly decided you did want to record a real drum kit or something.