Sign in to follow this  
akliner

You're probably tired of all these n00b threads...

...but, alas, I'm special, right? :lol:

Anyway, this is kind of a cross-post from KSS (my home turf), but I thought I'd go to the experts in the field of studios:

I want to build a small hobby/project studio. I'm normally a live keyboard player, but I'd like a way to record some tracks...with the option of expanding maybe.

I'm about to procure these items:

1 MacBook or iMac w/ 4GB RAM

2 Logic Studio

3 Mackie Onyx 1220 (w/ Firewire Card)

4 Some sort of active monitors

5 Studio headphones

I would like, obviously, to run all my keyboards through the Mackie and record AUDIO in Logic. Also, I would like to use one of my keyboards as a controller for the studio instruments in Logic.

I would like to listen to these mixes through the headphones or monitors. Also, I'm assuming the benefit of the Onyx mixer (with firewire) is that I can easily dick around without having to fire up the computer by just running my keyboards through the mixer into the powered monitors.

Am I missing anything? I know I'll need a MIDI interface to control the virtual instruments in Logic.

Can anybody provide suggestions for an affordable ($500 or less for the pair) pair of monitors? Ideas on headphones ($200 or less)? This is just a hobby studio. Nothing too serious is going on here.

Thanks! :wave:

I'd skip the mixer, and get one of the eight-preamp interfaces. I think at least a couple of them have midi inputs, if not, they all have digital ins, and you can just record the output from your keys. I have Sony's 7506 phones, they work well enough, but don't provide a ton of isolation. $100. I don't think there's a standout at the $500 mark for monitors, so either go to a big store and listen to a couple, or just buy whatever's on sale.

Thanks guys! And thanks for the heads up about the mixer!

In terms of the 8 preamp interface, which ones should I look into? I don't think I remember seeing anything like that. :confused:

**edit:

So I saw the PreSonus Firepod/FireStudio whatever and it seems like there's a lot of Mic inputs, but I will be using 3-4 keyboards run in stereo and maybe one or two microphones. Do the PreSonus products have stereo ins or would I have to run two separate channels in order to accomplish this?

**edit:

So I saw the PreSonus Firepod/FireStudio whatever and it seems like there's a lot of Mic inputs, but I will be using 3-4 keyboards run in stereo and maybe one or two microphones. Do the PreSonus products have stereo ins or would I have to run two separate channels in order to accomplish this?

You could get enough inputs by daisy-chaining a couple of Firepods. They're getting pretty cheap now...you'll probably be able to get two for not much more than I paid for one a few years ago.

Frank

OK so if I went with a preamp interface could I also use it as a line mixer if I didn't want to turn the computer on?

Also, what kind of inputs are these:

536684.jpg

Sign in to follow this