Sign in to follow this  
lpg8248

Home recording on a laptop

Hi, I was wondering what i would need and how much it would cost in order to be able to record myself playing guitar, singing, keyboard, and bass on my laptop. I believe i would need some type of recording interface but i'm not sure if i need a good sound card as well or what. I have a yamaha MG 10/2 mixer. I also have some mics but i will probably replace them and get something else that is better (maybe something good for recording). I don't need anything super professional quality. i'm on a budget. maybe I wont have enough money, but thats what i need to find out. the reason why i want to do this is because i will be a college student in the fall living in an apartment. i wont be able to jam with my friends in my basement anymore and i will need a hobby. I have a link to the mixer i have below.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MG102-Stereo-Mixer?sku=630048&src=3SOSWXXA

I lost your question somewhere in all that.

As far as soundcards, your audio interface acts as a sound card, so many people disable there onboard soundcards anyways.

the underlying question was "what do i need?" sorry.

So, should i still get an audio interface even though i have the mixer? my mixer has a recording output thing.

For vocals, I would recommend a large diaphragm condenser mic. But if you can't afford it a dynamic mic should suffice, something like a Shure SM58. Is your guitar electric or acoustic electric? if not you'll need a mic for that too. I recommend a small diaphragm condenser for that, but on a budget a dynamic will do, something like a Shure SM57. Don't forget mic cables and mic stands.

I only record acoustic guitar and vocals, so I don't know anything about keyboards or bass.

You may want headphones for input monitoring so you can hear yourself when you sing and play, I use the Sennheiser HD280 phones. I'm sure there's something cheaper out there, but I'm more about quality than cheap.

You'll need studio monitors for mixing your project, I use the Fostex PM.05 active nearfield monitors that I got from MF. I would not use headphones or computer speakers for mixing as they will be entirely inaccurate. Don't forget compatible speaker cables as your monitors probably won't come with any.

You'll also need recording software for your computer. I recommend Sonar Home Studio but have heard good things about Reaper, a download (which is cheaper).

Sorry I can't answer your question about the mixer, I don't use a mixer. I use an Edirol FA-66 audio interface and the mixer inside my Sonar software. I'm sure there is a way for you to still use your mixer, I just don't know how.

I know it probably isn't as cheap as you hoped it would be, but if you want quality recordings some things you can't skimp on.

BTW, I read the FAFSA manual and recording equipment is covered under student loan refund checks.

Hope this helps.

Quick and simple, get an M-box with ProTools LE. That and external hard drive and you're off and running. You can use your mixer to send a stereo mix to the M-Box.

If you want to go bigger, my home studio uses MOTU 2408, eight inputs and Digital Performer. Great project studio setup.

So, should i still get an audio interface even though i have the mixer? my mixer has a recording output thing.

I don't think it does. After reading about it, I think you might be confused. If it would double as an interface it would have either a usb port or a firewire port. I don't see either on there.

You'll want to get an audio interface. There are tons to choose from in every budget imagineable.

for usb: http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces

for firewire: http://www.sweetwater.com/c683--FireWire_Audio_Interfaces