Sign in to follow this  
Sandro

Home Studio

Hi, I play guitar have a drum machine, vocal and sax, I would like to put toghether a home studio and I have the following questions:

Which Computer and how big in terms of GB or MGH(?)?

Which Sound Card?

I have all the rest like monitors mixer etc...etc...

Money wise I would like to be in middle of the road no to much no to little.

Thanks for your help
Sandro

A dual core machine with 2GB of memory and a couple 500GB hard drives would be a fairly reasonable machine these days. Nothing to write home about but not bad either. If you are basically not using any software based synthesizers and are just recording audio that will require basic mixing, that kind of machine should get the job done. Of course you want to do a little research and find out what other people are using in terms of components and whatnot. Generally I think most folks don't use off the shelf machines like Dell or Gateway, at least not without replacing all the junk that they ship on them. If you are proficient at putting together machines you can get a quite nice one for a very good price. There are also companies that specialize in selling DAW oriented machines, so you could look at some of them also. I'd imagine that they have machines in that general ball park.

A dual core machine with 2GB of memory and a couple 500GB hard drives would be a fairly reasonable machine these days. Nothing to write home about but not bad either. If you are basically not using any software based synthesizers and are just recording audio that will require basic mixing, that kind of machine should get the job done. Of course you want to do a little research and find out what other people are using in terms of components and whatnot. Generally I think most folks don't use off the shelf machines like Dell or Gateway, at least not without replacing all the junk that they ship on them. If you are proficient at putting together machines you can get a quite nice one for a very good price. There are also companies that specialize in selling DAW oriented machines, so you could look at some of them also. I'd imagine that they have machines in that general ball park.

+1

Check out the system specs on this Sonica It is made specifically for audio production. I have a Sonica (different model) and it is friggin' smokin'.

As far as soundcards go, I use the Edirol FA-66 firewire interface with Sonar 7 Studio Edition and am very happy with it.

Great advise guys, where do I start to look for a DAW machine and has far computer go pc or Apple?

Sandro

Money wise I would like to be in middle of the road no to much no to little.

You do realize this means almost nothing... right?

You could spend from a couple hundred dollars on a computer, an interface, and other recording gear to tens or even hundreds of thousands.

One persons "middle of the road" might be $800.00 while someone else's might be $8000.00 or anywhere inbetween the two points.

Someone might thingk an RME Fireface at $1600.00 is "middle of the road" while others might think a $450.00 Presonus Firestudio is too much money for their version of middle of the road.

JM350 with the first SENSIBLE post...

Dean Roddy's advice is TERRIBLE... The depth of the question means a G5 is OVERKILL... textbook internet answer...:rolleyes:

You DON'T NEED A THING, unless you don't already have a computer. Don't believe the BS on the internet telling you to buy a monster computer. You can record with a very simple set up. You can spend all the money you like and it still won't sound like a real CD- too many high dollar factors involved. 90% of the people claiming to need all this power use maybe 10% of it properly...

Its based more of what you want to spend and RELATIVITY, not internet BS. So you need to give a budget.

Ummm.... He asked for a middle of the road computer. Today, the specs I gave are a middle of the road computer. So I told him the answer to his question. He didn't ask what minimum he needed to achieve a particular level of processing, and he didn't even indicate what level of processing he needs.

So, if answering his question is BS, then I guess it was BS.

And I didn't say a G5, I just said a dual core machine. That kind of machine in the Windows world would not cost that much. If he chooses to buy from Apple, with their far larger profit margins, then obviously that might be a budget issue.