Sign in to follow this  
Tag

Stick with ART Tube MP for a while till I can get something nice or buy $150 pre?

I have an ART Tube MP I bought to use as a live acoustic guitar preamp but I also figured I'd use it for a vocal preamp as well, as up until now I've been going direct into an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I've been using an SM58, but I just got a SE2200 LDC as well. I didn't like the MP for a live preamp and got something else...Is it worth my money now to return the Tube MP and get something like a Presonus Bluetube, or EH Tube Pre in the $150-200 range for recording for the next 3-6 months or should I just mess around with the MP for a while and then get something like a Brick or RNP when I can afford it?

I'm attempting to record an EP with acoustic guitar/bass and vocals that'll sound not necessarily pro, but enjoyable for fans to listen to...

Opinions?

I'd suggest you stick with the ART until you can get something else to compliment it... don't get suckered into the "gear roulette" thing... it is a losing proposition at the best of times.

Peace.

Keep the Tube MP for now. As Fletcher said, don't get caught up in the gear roulette thing.

I have a Tube MP collecting dust around here somewhere. They are far from the greatest pre. But, they are not HORRIBLE and they won't make you sound like ASS either. I've had a few singles get tons of radio play (and MTV) where the vocals were recorded through that thing so it's not like it will destroy your recordings LOL. So keep it for now until you can get something noticably nicer.

I've been using an ART MPA Gold......my only complaint with it is its excessive noise.....this makes it relatively useless for recording....finally called ART - it's being shipped back to them tomorrow....

Alright thanks for the feedback gents, just wondering if it was worth the extra dough for a slight upgrade. Seems like not unless anyone else wants to chime in...

if it noise you worrying then i think studio project VTB-1 could be considered as an upgrade. It uses both tube and ss. About $150, if not mistaken.

Stick with the ART until you are ready to make a jump into the $1000 and up level of pre-amps. Don't waste your money on all of the mid-level stuff which will have no resale value, and that you will only use as a stepping-stone to better gear anyway.