Sign in to follow this  
nwillard81

External Hard Drives

I am looking for an external hard drive to go with my MacBook for home recording purposes. I am unsure of what is good out there, does anyone have any suggestions, I am looking for about 250GB or 320GB and for it to be under $200 if possible. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

x2 on the seagate, im assuming youve only got usb2.0 functionality on the mac. i have a freeagent extreme 1.5TB that i'll never fill and im in love with it. lacie is a great manufacturer too, can't go wrong with either.

Don't scrimp on your storage. Glyph, LaCie, Seagate have worked for me.

He's right; Just know that no matter what external hard drive you run, you should always record directly to an internal drive. USB 1.1, 2.0, FireWire, none of them are as fast as an internal drive.

You want "fast"? and pre-formatted for Mac? You won't do much better than this; (32MB cache,7200rpm,quad interface eSATA,FW400/800,USB2. $169. after $20. mail-in rebate. I believe this 750 GB OWC drive is manufactured by Hitachi/IBM Deskstar.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEAQ7750GB32/

The advantage of recording to an external drive, is the ability to take your music with you.

Bob

He's right; Just know that no matter what external hard drive you run, you should always record directly to an internal drive. USB 1.1, 2.0, FireWire, none of them are as fast as an internal drive.

This is true, but I would say that for the large majority of recordists, you're not going to have a need for more than the 40 MB / second max bandwidth of FW 400. I forget how big one second of mono .WAV or .AIFF is but you've got room to cram a lot of audio through. I've definitely seen huge sessions in pro recording facilities done with FW drives. I have never seen FW400's upper limits even approached.

Whoever is recommending USB 2 drives... know that they are only suitable as storage drives, not as playback / recording drives. USB 2.0 simply does not have the bandwidth or performance. I've made some other posts about this recently.

With that said, I guess I should ask the OP whether they're planning to use their drive as a backup to plop work onto at the end of the day, or if they intend to use it as a playback / recording drive in real time?

Hi Speed USB 2 bandwidth specification (480 mb/s) is actually higher than FW400 (400 mb/s) however full speed is not always gauranteed in every drive product. You need to check each drives specification for read/write, sustained, seektime, etc. to know which drive to buy. A 5400 rpm drive like Lacie's Rugged at 5400 will still do 30 mb/s on USB 2 which is almost as good as the FW 400's 30 to 40 mb/s. It will do FW 800 but the rpm limits the benefit to only 40 to 50 mb/s. The seek time of 12 ms is not nearly as good as an internal. A Seagate Freegent Pro spinning at 7200 will handle a lot more, especially if you use eSATA (up to 3 gb/s bursts). Anyway most drives come with the option to use FW or USB and some eSATA as well. On your MAC FW is the way to go but if you had a PC without FW then USB 2 could work too.

+1. And internal HDs are vastly more reliable. While USB 2 and FW are speedy, Internet forums are full of posts from people that have problems using these things in critical situations.

A USB 2 or FW drive makes a very good backup device, but nothing beats the direct IDE or SATA internal connection that you get with an internal hard drive.

Sign in to follow this