Is it possible to entirely revise your voice?

BandRecord

• Members

Or start from square one, if you will.

I hate the sound of my voice, I cannot sing.

I've tried a lot of things, but one thing I haven't tried is recording my voice, picking out the problems one by one and fixing them by constantly reminding myself not to make that sound.

Do you think I'd have a fighting chance if I tried to do something like this?

• Members

What are your problems?

I don't like the tone of my voice either, many non-pro singers have this problem because we're not used to hearing it.

However you have to sound "on" and not have a constrained nasal or breathy or "low larynx" sound.

• Members

What are your problems?

I don't like the tone of my voice either, many non-pro singers have this problem because we're not used to hearing it.

However you have to sound "on" and not have a constrained nasal or breathy or "low larynx" sound.

I couldn't really explain what's bad about it, the best way to describe it would be constrained, like I'm holding it back a lot. It might be because I'm afraid to let people hear my voice, but I don't know for sure. I'll try to record something later just to show exactly what I'm talking about.

• Members

I couldn't really explain what's bad about it, the best way to describe it would be constrained, like I'm holding it back a lot. It might be because I'm afraid to let people hear my voice, but I don't know for sure. I'll try to record something later just to show exactly what I'm talking about.

Sure.

Try belting out (not too much) a little bit and recording that too, all this in a comfortable range.

• Members

A few points:

When you say entirely revise, you're exaggerating the negative, which is not a helpful thing, especially in singing. That said, I do believe that a voice can be transformed, improved dramatically, etc. But try to ditch the absolute, as nothing is absolute. I'm willing to wager, without ever having heard you, that you can become a fine singer if you choose to put in the effort, the time, the money. Will your voice be entirely revised? No, but I'm certain that you don't need to revise everything.

Also, while I have benefitted greatly myself from the practice of listening closely to my voice and focusing on particular things I want to correct, I'm not sure I would have been able to do that if I hadn't taken some lessons. I understand that money is tight everywhere, but if you want to develop your voice there's no substitute for real vocal lessons.

• Members

Or start from square one, if you will.

I hate the sound of my voice, I cannot sing.

I've tried a lot of things, but one thing I haven't tried is recording my voice, picking out the problems one by one and fixing them by constantly reminding myself not to make that sound.

Do you think I'd have a fighting chance if I tried to do something like this?

YES!!!! It is possible.

I've done it, so have many others.

Have you tried focusing all you have (mind and body) in addition to your voice and try and project a new sound or style?

This takes time, but I can guarantee it is possible.

How old are you now?

What examples of your singing can you show us?

How do you see (or want to be seen) as? In the future?

Your perception has just as much to do with your sound as your environment.

• Members

YES!!!! It is possible.

I've done it, so have many others.

Have you tried focusing all you have (mind and body) in addition to your voice and try and project a new sound or style?

This takes time, but I can guarantee it is possible.

How old are you now?

What examples of your singing can you show us?

How do you see (or want to be seen) as? In the future?

Your perception has just as much to do with your sound as your environment.

I'm 18 right now.

I've just recorded something, but I'm telling you, it is awful. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/bandrecord

I was gonna cut it and everything but I felt that would be cheating, as it'd be best if everything was heard.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "how do you want to be seen"? In what sense?

• Members

Well, maybe he's asking what your musical goals are? Are you looking to start a serious, long-term band that possibly goes on to make something unique and ambitious that is remembered? Or are you just looking to do some covers?

And, I listened. Although I don't know what song it was that you were playing at first, your face doesn't sound unpleasant to me at all. After hearing you singing Rocky, I KNOW that you have a nice, warm tone. IF for some reason you are holding back, don't. No one'll hear you making whatever noises you're making, and it doesn't matter, because you'll get better and when the times comes to perform in front of an audience, you'll sound more than ready.

Have you ever tried just belting it out?

• Members

:cool: First, no tone problem at all, to my ears at least. On the McCartney tune you're simply up too high, and your voice breaks up in what fancy-pants vocal coaches call the passaggio--or the break between chest and head voice. No matter. Training your voice to hit these notes is the core of most vocal teaching these days, and if you want to sing this high you'll simply need to get some instruction and do the work.

Rocky Racoon was more in your range, but because it's so speaky it's hard to tell from the recordings how you would handle a song more in your current range. Why don't you try to do another Beatles tune that falls into the sweet spot of your range and then post it here?

You also seem to be struggling with singing and playing the guitar at the same time (and with tuning the guitar, I might add :rolleyes:). Try getting someone else to play along so that you can concentrate only on the vocal part, or multitrack and sing along with your recorded guitar part.

But, to repeat--no tone problem. What you're experiencing is simply the singer's curse: We tend not to like the tone of our own voices. No one else hears it this way. (Thank God!)

• Members

:cool:
First, no tone problem at all, to my ears at least. On the McCartney tune you're simply up too high, and your voice breaks up in what fancy-pants vocal coaches call the
passaggio
--or the break between chest and head voice. No matter. Training your voice to hit these notes is the core of most vocal teaching these days, and if you want to sing this high you'll simply need to get some instruction and do the work.

Rocky Racoon
was more in your range, but because it's so speaky it's hard to tell from the recordings how you would handle a song more in your current range. Why don't you try to do another Beatles tune that falls into the sweet spot of your range and then post it here?

You also seem to be struggling with singing and playing the guitar at the same time (and with tuning the guitar, I might add
:rolleyes:
). Try getting someone else to play along so that you can concentrate only on the vocal part, or multitrack and sing along with your recorded guitar part.

But, to repeat--no tone problem. What you're experiencing is simply the singer's curse: We tend not to like the tone of our own voices. No one else hears it this way. (Thank God!)

I'll record something else soon, maybe one of John's. Yeah, it's because I don't ever sing a long with my guitar, which is because I never sing (which is because I hate my sound). Plus I just started playing guitar a few months ago. Haha, I haven't tuned it in a few weeks, I'll make sure I do that before I record something else.

• Members

Definitely record yourself ONLY SINGING along with whatever song you made or just have a recording of the music.

You HAVE TO Warm up first. (I've recorded without doing this and hated what came out)

You should be using earphones to record anyway. Who cares what other people hear....they don't hear the music in your headphones....it usually sounds much different outside the headphones without the background music.

I get laughed at by my 'ol lady's mom while screaming/singing recording at home....and yes...it bothers me a bit.. but Eff it! I do this for ME, not for people who happen to be near by while I'm recording.

If it makes you feel any better, our cats start howling sometimes while I'm trying to freakin record vocals. lil {censored}s.

Point being. Record yourself and LET IT OUT!

THIS IS FOR YOU! When you get down your style/song/and confidence in how you write a song....THEN you can walk around giving out cd's to all you meet.

• Members

If possible, record a song (you playing) JUST the guitar. Then come back and do your vocal track to your own song. It might feel more comfy for ya.

I dunno......just a thought.

I'll take a listen to your clip when I get home from work. (no speakers here)

• Members

If it makes you feel any better, our cats start howling sometimes while I'm trying to freakin record vocals. lil {censored}s.

When I start singing I usually hear a chorus of slamming doors, as my wife and kids jump up to insulate themselves from the racket.

My dog, however, always comes and sits by my feet. That's encouraging, right?

• Members

sounds like you're trying to stay in a falsetto instead of letting your speaking voice have it's part in your sound.

Seems like you're trying too hard to hit high notes up there. As in....use your speaking voice as a base and then add some chest to it. Then, use the falsetto for the extra high notes.

• Members

I'm 18 right now.

I've just recorded something, but I'm telling you, it is awful.

I was gonna cut it and everything but I felt that would be cheating, as it'd be best if everything was heard.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "how do you want to be seen"? In what sense?

Time....it's what's for dinner!

For example:

When I was 18....well I can't describe it

(because my singing was god aweful!!!)

I will have some clips up soon that will illustrate my point, kinda like a before and after sort of thing.

What I meant was:

How do you want to be able to sing?

What kind of voice would you like?

Soft, rough, smooth, raspy?

Projection is half of it...

the other stuff comes from executing your plan/practicing.

I used to only be able to do the kermit thing.

• Members

Well, if that is what he means, I am looking to go for a long term and hopefully successful group.

Thank you for the feedback, even though I feel you're probably being generous about it. This is the first song, by the way:

It starts about halfway in. It's a great song.

The thing is, I live in a hotel, you know, one of the extended stay hotels, and people can hear me, and it just makes me so nervous that someone will hear me before I've perfected it.

I've kinda tried to belt it out, I feel like I can't for some reason.

I'll record something else soon, maybe one of John's. Yeah, it's because I don't ever sing a long with my guitar, which is because I never sing (which is because I hate my sound). Plus I just started playing guitar a few months ago. Haha, I haven't tuned it in a few weeks, I'll make sure I do that before I record something else.

My advice:

Someone, somewhere will tell you that you suck...

this could be from a number of things:

they're tone deaf

they don't like the kind of music

they cannot articulate worth {censored}....

This is reality, but so what?

Think of it as a test.

Don't let YOU get in the way of your progress.

When the neighbor tells you something...then it's at that point...

and even then disregard that!

I once had my neighbor's kids (2 8year olds) tell me that I sucked!!!

WGAS!!!??? This was when I was 19...btw

Your voice will mature when it's ready to.

Until then, practice, and focus on something you want to be able to do.

then go for it.

• Members

My advice:

Someone, somewhere will tell you that you suck...

this could be from a number of things:

they're tone deaf

they don't like the kind of music

they cannot articulate worth {censored}....

This is reality, but so what?

Think of it as a test.

Don't let YOU get in the way of your progress.

When the neighbor tells you something...then it's at that point...

and even then disregard that!

I once had my neighbor's kids (2 8year olds) tell me that I sucked!!!

WGAS!!!??? This was when I was 19...btw

Your voice will mature when it's ready to.

Until then, practice, and focus on something you want to be able to do.

then go for it.

Very encouraging words, sir. I do hope my voice will mature quite a bit in the next 5 years or so.

Archived