song structure, key

pepito

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

You can use degree numbers, at least in french.

People reffer to them as mode I, mode VI, etc.

thank you Jazz Ad

i have been walking around tonight at the shops trying to get my head round a basic pair

and i was memorising the I=V..which is mixylodian?

i am tending to remember fret pattern shapes as i do when i practice

root mode

and the V mode is [*** i had to edit this***]

and the VII mode is (a diminished chord?)

i tend to start a scale somewhere on its path and continue up till i reach the end, remembering the flats and sharps pertaining to the major scale signature

its takeing me a long time to really get these in my head but i have learnt some song bass lines by starting at a convenient poing to make all the necessary chord roots accessible from that position.

when i played sax we had to learn all the diminished sevenths of every key signature... all 12 of them..they all resolved to just 3 with different starting points.:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I got about halfway through this thread and then my left eye turned in and stayed there, I had this hot fuzzy feeling in my head and realised I had overloaded!

Reason being I am really poor on music theory!!! This thread has been great for getting a tab user into understanding some of the stuff I should know already! Thanx to all!:)

• Members

I didn't think this thing would come up again, but it's a happy coincidence that it did. I was just reading a little something on the history of Jazz. It mentioned a sub genre called "Modal Jazz." Although it didn't go into much detail about what Modal Jazz is/was, it did seem to suggest that Modal Jazz is more of a technique than a style, and associated it with Miles Davis and a bass player named Ron Carter.

Who can tell me more about "Modal Jazz?" How does it fit into our discussion of modes in this thread?

Who is Ron Carter? How did he use modes in constructing his bass lines?

I would love to see a real world example of how a bassist used a mode in a piece of jazz music to construct an interesting line.

Archived