Sign in to follow this  
Jugghaid

Amp Shootout Round 1 results..........

Originally posted by Jugghaid

I will, I promise. I just gotta wait for the right deal. I got all of these amps at below fair market. I also think the Genz Benz and the iAmp might already be sold to fellow forumites. I'll pass on the good deals I get to you guys after I run them through the wringer to reiview them.

You are the man! Your bandmates must think you're crazy though:)

Originally posted by MageZ

And on Ashdown note - ABM and MAG series sound different - there are people who prefer the MAG.

Not too many ;)

Jugghaid - fabulous job! This was the most informative and interesting idea/thread I've read in a really long time...love it! Keep 'em coming...quite a public service for us here, in my opinion, and we certainly appreciate it!

*highfive*

Too bad we're not local...I'd let you borrow my ABM500 EVO II (by the way, the EVO II has some improvements over the EVO I ...it'd be best if you could get your hands on one of those)

Outstanding post Jugghaid! You're doing a real service here. I wasn't a bit surprised the Ampeg won round 1, but what everyone has to bear in here is the bottom line is your taste - but the way you've organized your evaluations is terrific. :cool:

Originally posted by bnyswonger

Outstanding post Jugghaid! You're doing a real service here. I wasn't a bit surprised the Ampeg won round 1, but what everyone has to bear in here is the bottom line is your taste - but the way you've organized your evaluations is terrific.
:cool:

Very true. A lot of this is personal preference. I'm looking for the amp that most suits my needs and wants. Everyone is a bit different in what they want and need out of a bass amp.

For instance, one thing that annoyed me a little bit about the EA iAmp 500 is the fact that the power switch is on the back of the amp, while all the others were on the front. Why would you want the power switch on the back of a rack mount amp? It makes it a pain in the ass to turn it on and off when you have to reach through the back of your rack every time. Some people probably don't care about that....I do.

Originally posted by bassment zombie

Not too many
;)

Jugghaid - fabulous job! This was the most informative and interesting idea/thread I've read in a really long time...love it! Keep 'em coming...quite a public service for us here, in my opinion, and we certainly appreciate it!

*highfive*

Too bad we're not local...I'd let you borrow my ABM500 EVO II (by the way, the EVO II has some improvements over the EVO I ...it'd be best if you could get your hands on one of those)

The new EVO II 500 chrome rackmount one is the one I'm currently looking at getting. I'll probably try out a MAG seires anyway just for posterity's sake and to see what the differences are.

just a note. It seems that Aguilar has released a new hybrid two channel amp, the db500 I think it is. I saw an add for it in this month's bass player. Looks pretty sweet, although the all-tube versions are where these babies really shine.

Originally posted by Andy Rontal

just a note. It seems that Aguilar has released a new hybrid two channel amp, the db500 I think it is. I saw an add for it in this month's bass player. Looks pretty sweet, although the all-tube versions are where these babies really shine.

Yup. I posted a thread on it a few weeks aho when they announced it at NAMM. Looks like it will be their "budget" head.

Yup.

Shocked my happy ass.
:D

I used to own this amp, so I'm only half surprised. :cool:

You should include the Mesa 400+ in your contest.

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

You should include the Mesa 400+ in your contest.

Jazzy,

Don't you think it'd be best to compare all tube heads against all tube heads? As far as I can tell, each of the amps he's tested in his comparison thusfar have had solid state power sections, and it wouldn't be in the spirit of consistency for him to throw in one single all tube head...however, I'd love to see a tube head amp shootout as well :cool:

Originally posted by Andy Rontal

Actually it's all solid-state and called AG500. Worth a try either way IMHO :cool:

Jazzy,

Don't you think it'd be best to compare all tube heads against all tube heads? As far as I can tell, each of the amps he's tested in his comparison thusfar have had solid state power sections, and it wouldn't be in the spirit of consistency for him to throw in one single all tube head...however, I'd love to see a tube head amp shootout as well
:cool:

I'm planning on doing an all tube shootout as well.

Ampeg SVT (classic or an 70's one)

Mesa 400+

Marshall VBA 400

Ampeg SVT-2 PRO

Sunn 300T (or Fender Bassman 300)

Mesa 400+

Marshall VBA 400

Ampeg SVT-2 PRO

perfect :)

Just rambling here, but one thing I've found with amps (and especially tube amps) is that their 'bedroom' tone can have very little relevance to that amps performance in the mix...this is what makes it really hard for me in terms of selecting gear.

perfect
:)

Just rambling here, but one thing I've found with amps (and especially tube amps) is that their 'bedroom' tone can have very little relevance to that amps performance in the mix...this is what makes it really hard for me in terms of selecting gear.

yup. That's why I demand they perform at rehearsal and not just me playing in the basement. 2 different things.

very true. amps can sound entirely different quiet and "at volume", I term I use to suggest an ams true useful volume when playing with others.

The GK combo I used to have, for instance, sounded warm but fairly clean at quiet volume. At gig volume it sounded harsh, brittle and incredibly aggressive. Not the amp for me once I started playing gigs.

Mesa 400+

Marshall VBA 400

Ampeg SVT-2 PRO

If you happen to find one for a REALLY good price, could you also try out a Hiwatt/Reeves DR201?? :confused:

yup. That's why I demand they perform at rehearsal and not just me playing in the basement. 2 different things.

*highfive* from the superpup, bud

highfive.jpg

Originally posted by The Ox

If you happen to find one for a REALLY good price, could you also try out a Hiwatt/Reeves DR201??
:confused:

If I can find one....yeah. How many watts is it?

Originally posted by The Ox

Juggs, would you like me to beat mikgag to a bloody pulp again?
:p;)

Not til he's done with my bass body. :D

If I can find one....yeah. How many watts is it?

A very conservative 200 watts, although i've heard of them producing much more.