Slap, Tap & Stuff: The Dark Slide Video Thread !

Dark Slide

• Members

Originally posted by ksgant

I'm looking forward to this too. Where will the videos mainly be hosted at? Youtube? Or do you have your own server?

He can post them right here whenever he feels like it...he's posted a few here before, they were excellent.....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're incredibly talented on both bass and drums. I'll have to show these videos to my bassist when you make them ( I already showed your heel toe videos to my drummer, his response: "I DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS EVEN POSSIBLE!" )

:D

• Members

I really like how you said "you dont go for that {censored}t, you play as you play..". Heartilly agrees. Doesnt do slap myself, just pick. But I think a basic thing I do with fretting hand can apply to slap to & more so. Course correct me if I'm wrong, but since slap often ncorporates knuckle hits, side or otherwise. Is best to learn to do them as percussive, rather then hard hits. Same principle of knuckle rapping a door for door knock, your going for loud not hard hit. And quick jerkaway is a basic key to pulling that off. Such would be coverable in the videos, "how to do it without hurting yourself and whythat makes for louder more percussive slap sound".

Vamprebunny says something about how blood from bleeding knuckles dripping across bass strings though attractive, does dull the sound some. Lol.

But yeah, I'd prob be interested in the video. Does admire some slap bass stuff even if doesnt slap myself And it can be inspiring to other styles of playing.

PS: Liked the first part of 1st mp3. Would be kewl type stuff to add some bass synth soundbeds and swirly in time pads tripping off some of those note flutters. Kinda drum & bass electronica funk music. Lol. Should of added its quick twitch muscle groups not strength muscles imo, for such stuff in orig post.

• Members

Ok, since I have a good idea of what the original requester wanted covered.... does anyone else have something specific they want to cover? Specific techniques, or... whatever?

I'm going to try and get the first couple videos done tonight and tomorrow.

Edit: I'd like to add that I am self taught and my knowledge of theory is about as close to nil as one can be without ACTUALLY being nil, so I can't and wont offer much in that department. I can play reasonably well and I am reasonably skilled at getting people to understand what is happening and how to make it work for themselves.

• Members

I'll be following this thread as well...

I have a suggestion:

Let's not post in this thread unless we have a specific question or a helpful contributing comment, that way the thread isn't a lesson followed by 2 pages of "Hey, thanks DS!" followed by another lesson.

:idea:

• Members

Did we really need this stickied BEFORE he posted any videos? :confused:

Anyway, yeah, if you're taking suggestions for stuff to cover, there's one technique I have a really hard time understanding. I've seen Bill Dickens and victor wooten had a video describing something similar once.

Basically, it involves doubleslapping with the thumb on the E string while successively popping the A, D, and G strings with the index, middle and ring finger at the same time as the doubleslapping.

I can do the basic double-slap/pop reasonably well, but getting that roll of pops down the strings really throws me off.

• Members

Tease.:D

BTW, I finally saw the heel-toe vids. I new a drummer in the 80's hwo did a similar thing on the hi-hat, not the kicks. It wasn't for speed, but because he was using both hands elswhere on the kit and this way he was able to maintain a tck-tck-psshhh-tck-tck-tck-psshhh-tck with just his foot.

• Members

Originally posted by brake

Dark Slide, do you do any double-thumping a la Larry Graham or Victor Wooten? I've been working on it lately and I'd love to see how someone else tackles it.

Yes I do.... and I also do a different technique used a lot by Bill Dickens that I will talk about a little bit.

I will post the first vid in a bit. I am new to this and I have {censored} for video editing software which makes it difficult. If anyone has anything to help me out, let me know.

New video will be up in a few minutes.

• Members

OK, this is the first video. It's not much, but I wanted to try some stuff out with angles and that sort of thing.

I am also hoping that the video is high enough quality. I can go higher quality, but then it limits me to 30 second shots, which sucks.

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/slapvideo/slapvid1.wmv

So it's just a quick vid of my hand position, why *I* choose to use it and what techniques it allows me to use in my playing style.

Check it out, let me know if everything looks ok, if the video is fast enough to pick up the movements, if the angles are ok. Etc etc... give me some feedback on what else you might like to see or different views you might like.

And anyone who has any suggestions for some good video editing software, that would be great too...

Archived