URB, ERB, Fretless & More: The Bassius Video Thread !

Bassius

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My biggest comment is this:

Ever since all of this neck and nerve {censored} started 12 years ago, I've been lucky when I can play upright at all, let alone with the the higher action that Bassius uses. Which is really within the common range for an upright.

Sure, it gives you the ability for much greater volume and emphasis on tone, and attack, and aids in bowing cleanly, and probably a few other things. But it also takes 2 to 3 times the strength for fingering cleanly, and I'm in retrain-the-muscles mode. I cheat, and drop my adjustable bridge as low as I can get away with for pizz., about 1/4" to 5/16" string heighth at the end of the fingerboard.

I hope some day to play as good as him in that video. :thu:

• Members

Three points:

1. My desire for a URB has now become a physical need.

2. You've got someone who teaches you? How good must that guy be!

3. Post more. I don't even know what "arco stuff" is, but I feel my life is empty without seeing it. (I just hope it isn't "This is how to change a string!")

• Members

Originally posted by Rippin' Robin

Two comments about being nude and sticky stuff in 5 replies... This place hasn't lost its flair!

And the videos are fantastic. Now I want an URB.

And someone being turned on. ;>_>

And like everyone else said, you have created huge amounts of upright GAS, Mr. Bassius.

• Members

Originally posted by Richy

Three points:

2. You've got someone who teaches you? How good must that guy be!

3. Post more. I don't even know what "arco stuff" is, but I feel my life is empty without seeing it. (I just hope it isn't "This is how to change a string!")

John Patitucci is my teacher...

Arco stuff is "playing with the bow"

:D:D:D

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

This is awesome.

Simple and straight to the point.

I'd love methods to be like that.

I will pass it around.

Cool thanks Jazz!

I'll have the left hand up tonight...

(sticky?)

• Members

Incredible stuff!

Now, if you ever get to a point that you want professional videos, my brother is an excellent freelance vidiographer, mostly trades/commercials/training films/etc., with a few decades experience, and was a bass player. I'm sure he'd do your efforts justice. Just a thought if you go to that level.

• Members

I have to add, you seem incredibly comfortable even in the thumb positions. And your method certainly is a mix!

I have no sweat with those positions on a bass guitar. But when I'm on upright, I feel lost somewhat. The plus is my familiarity with them on bg is helping. But, it's certainly not natural yet. And with my neck problems, I just about never pick up the URB any more. Maybe soon, now that things are taming down.

Archived