Sign in to follow this  
Jazz Ad

[FAQ] Best bass related books.

The Bass Player Book

Equipment, Technique, Styles, and Artists

This book was published by the makers of Bass Player magazine and is packed with good information and insights from tons of great bass players.

ISBN 0-87930-573-8

Originally posted by Rachel Sampson

The Bass Player Book

This book was published by the makers of Bass Player magazine and is packed with good information and insights from tons of great bass players.

ISBN 0-87930-573-8

I was just about to mention that. I've got it, and it's pretty cool. Also, as far as gear goes:

American Basses: An Illistrated History and Player's Guide, by Jim Roberts. It's got entries about (almost) every Bass manufacturer in North America, as of last year, as well as a few articles by builders on such things as wood, fingerboard construction, pickups, etc. Cool book.

ISBN 0-87930-721-8

The Guitar Player repair guide by Dan Erlewine is a good one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879302917/qid=1071102328//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/002-5288100-8928010?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Don't let the name scare you, it has some bass specific info, and a lot of the general stuff is applicable as well. Good book to have if you plan on building, fixing, or modding an instrument.

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

CHarles Mingus - Beneath the Underdog.

A monster talent and a world-class liar - in a good way. The book didn't do much for me, but the man was a giant.

Originally posted by NineMinuteNap

Serious Electric Bass: The Bass Player's Complete Guide to Scales & Chords (Contemporary Bass Series)

by Joel di Bartolo

Paperback: 279 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.71 x 11.96 x 9.06

Publisher: Warner Brothers Publications; (February 1997)

ISBN: 1576238830

+10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001

-b

Originally posted by Emprov

Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

+ 1

Bio, History textbook, learning material and all-star master classes!

Ray Brown's Bass Method

Editor : Hal Leonard

ISBN: 0793594561

It simply is the best jazz bass method ever.

Rough, hardcore, unfriendly, but incredibly rewarding.

EDIT: Sorry. Don't know how I missed it above so many times but:

The Bass Player Book

ISBN 0-87930-573-8

1630054.gif

+1

Part 1 is a good introduction to playing in most genres

Part 2 is equipment

Part 3 is interviews with/descriptions of several of the most legendary bassists

Great introductory book.

The Bass Player Book

ISBN 0-87930-573-8

I was about to say that I totaly agree. Great book.:)

Hey Jazz - good thread...put this one under Instruction

Funkifying the Clave: Afro-Cuban Grooves for Bass and Drums

0769220207.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Publisher: Warner Brothers Publications; (July 2000)

ISBN: 0769220207

I bought this book on the recommendation of several accomplished latin bass players...it did not disappoint...very nice layout where the bass and drums are laid out side by side throughout the book and 2 cds - bass and drums....this book takes you from the basics of clave (latin/salsa pulse) and ends up with some nasty slap and funk on top of it...

the cd's have full band and then band minus bass...same for drums....(the drum trakcs completely KICK ASS...it could be a stand alone cd as far as I'm concerned...seriously KICKS ASS...nice bonus for a bass method book)

there are about 30 or so lesson tracks and I think 6 or 7 full play along recordings with bass and drum charts...

everything about this book is top notch....costs about $30 US plus shipping....worth every cent if you want to learn some latin...

here's the reviews off of Amazon

Reviewer: A reader from Des Plaines IL

Combining traditional Latin claves with a funk backbeat. I bought this book / cd combo to improve my bass playing and drumming. (Yep! I play both.) I enjoy Latin / rock type music and wanted to become more familiar with the various styles and rhythms of this music. This book is awesome! It is also not fot the beginner or the timid unless you are dead serious about your playing. This will not only improve your playing, but your reading as well. The CD's start with a group of songs performed by the band. Then they break into LOTS of examples of ALL different styles of Latin music. Once you think you have it all mastered, the songs you heard at the beginning of the cd are there without drums / bass depending on which cd you want to play along with. Yes there are 2 cd's. One for drums, one for bass. By the way, all the songs on the cd have studio grade charts in the back of the book for you to follow. If this book doesn't keep you busy for a long time, you must already be a seasoned studio professional. Even if you are, there's probably something in here for you. ENJOY!

Was this review helpful to you?

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:

A Must-have for drummers/bassists looking for improvement, January 31, 2001

Reviewer: A reader from Glendale, AZ USA

This book is a goldmine of information and ideas pertaining to the addition of the salsa feel in your playing. The authors lay out, in both English and Spanish, the different latin styles and feels clearly, and the included cd's make learning the material that much easier. The different patterns discussed include the clave, tumbao, songo, guaguanco, cha-cha, mozambique, and afro-cuban styles. Also included are 6 songs (complete with charts) for the student to play with (recorded with and without drum/bass tracks). This book is a must have for a player of any level. It was recommended to me by a bass player friend of mine who plays in a touring group specializing in latin/flaminco music. It has made a huge difference in my playing, and I've been drumming for 23 years. Get this book and enjoy the new world of ideas and possibilities!

Enjoy....c-d

Originally posted by chris dax

Hey Jazz - good thread...put this one under Instruction

Funkifying the Clave: Afro-Cuban Grooves for Bass and Drums

0769220207.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Publisher: Warner Brothers Publications; (July 2000)

ISBN: 0769220207

+1

This is one of the most challenging books I've worked with... not in a jaco/wooten techno/speedy flash kinda of way, but you have to be a freakin time machine to play these grooves right..

Originally posted by sheepdog

Bass Guitar for Dummies

actually a REALLY good book. Starts very basic and gets into some (somewhat) advanced theory and styles...

great book for a beginner, like me :cool:

Beyond the bass clef - Tony Levin

Great book, lost of advice, anekdotes and bull{censored}. Very funny and informative!

basscover.gif

The Bass Book / a Complete Illustrated History of Bass Guitars, by Tony Bacon.

Publisher: Backbeat Books; (August 1995)

ISBN: 0879303689

It's an excellent book, filled with info. You get a lot of great pics, history and stories, datation systems for main brands, ...

I refer to it at least once a week.

from Bassbooks.com....

RUFUS REID - THE EVOLVING BASSIST (MILLENIUM EDITION)

A classic. Comprehensive jazz instruction.

$29.95 Item # WB000

A comprehensive method in developing a total musical concept for the aspiring jazz bass player. THE EVOLVING BASSIST is designed to take you through a process to help you reach the goals to becoming the consumate bass player. It is also dedicated to to the student who has difficulty finding and/or being able to afford a regular teacher. You will have this tool to help you help yourself along the way. I use all of these concepts with my students and it has proven extremely successful. As you and your playing mature through the years, you will discover that there is always something more to learn about being a better bass player in this music we call jazz.

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I wouldn't recommend the Bass Grimoire neither.

Very boring.

What about ? The Picking Hand Grimoire? That book has been reccomended here, and I plan to pick it up.

For Ampeg lovers, I recommend:

FCoversm.jpg

Ampeg: The Story Behind the Sound

by Bill Moore

Publisher: Hal Leonard; (July 1999)

ISBN: 0793579511