Sign in to follow this  
Dragonlord

Why isn't the bass forum split up in more forums?

Originally posted by bassman1956

This is the corner bar. Have a beer and a shot, talk some shop, shoot some pool, throw another record on the jukebox, maybe remember what you were talking about or that you're actually shooting a game of pool, have another shot, talk gear, brag or bitch about the band, the babe, the boss, ....

If this split up, I'd stop coming. In fact, this NOT being split up is why I come here. If I want everything so segregated and anal, I'll go back into work for the rest of my day. Some of those other forums are a pain in the ass, the way everything is compartmentalized.

I like it here!

thumbs%20up%20bush.JPG

Originally posted by Dragonlord

Well, one note on the "we like it this way" point: of course members who stick around like it, otherwise they'd be in a different forum - and I'm sure there have been many here who've seen how it is, didn't like it and moved on. That is, if it was split up in ten forums and I was asking "why don't you put it in 2 or 3 forums" I'm sure the majority of answers would still be "cause we like it this way".

However, you won't find the majority of these users. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but it seems to me that the structures of the particular forums usually parallel the people that frequent them. Talkbass is neat and orderly, everything has its place and there is a very elitist vibe from just the layout. Similarly, a lot of the people I have delt with over there seem to be, as billybigmouth said, 'librarians' who have two basic responses to most things: Check the FAQ or Your gear isn't as good as mine.

At HCBF, the open and easy going nature of the forum seems to attract the more fun and easy going people that make this place so damn interesting. Of course, there are some exceptions to that, but few. Even the assholes here aren't nearly as bad as some of the assholes I've seen at the more rigidly organized joints (sorry Darkslide, you're not the worst).

I know its not Friday, but can we bring out the party cart? Dragonlord needs a drink to ease into the pleasant chaos of the Harmony Central Bass Forum.

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

I know its not Friday, but can we bring out the party cart? Dragonlord needs a drink to ease into the pleasant chaos of the Harmony Central Bass Forum.

Sales_Advantage.jpg

hcbfpartycart01.jpg

Make mine a BV and soda, heavy on the BV, please! :p

Dragonlord, pull up a stool and let me buy you one!

Shoot Cricket?

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

Even the assholes here aren't nearly as bad as some of the assholes I've seen at the more rigidly organized joints (sorry Darkslide, you're not the worst).

You know, I almost take offense to that!

That being said, I did post on talkbass at one time or another and my general thoughts about the people who responded was "What... what an asshole". So that should put things into some perspective *nod*

Originally posted by Dark Slide

You know, I almost take offense to that!

That being said, I did post on talkbass at one time or another and my general thoughts about the people who responded was "What... what an asshole". So that should put things into some perspective *nod*

woops, I meant to toss in a ;) or :p after that comment. Just jokes, yo.

oh, and nice work bassman1956 :thu:

Originally posted by s4001

This forum is the best.

I can prove it.

You can come here knowing little or nothing about bass. Not even a player. In very little time, you can learn all the best gear to get for the best money, tutelage and encouragement on playing, tips on auditions and 'getting the gig,' become a semipro player, and become moderator. All in a very short period of time.

Eat that.

:p

'Tis true.

Look at me.

Look at me.

Look at me.

Look at me.

Look at me.

;)

I feel that I should put my $.02 in.

I've not been coming here as much recently, but even though I'm not really a "regular," I don't find it that hard to navigate through the mass of threads with everything jumbled into one forum. If I'm just wanting to shoot the {censored}, I just browse what's on the first page, but if I need something specific, I use the search function and the FAQ section. Very helpful info.

As others have said, the jumbled together nature of the forum adds to the character of the HCBF and if it were split up, it would lose some fo that character.

In Easton, Pa,

there is, at least was,

here,

a bar at the intersection of Bushkill Park Drive and Tatamy Road, called "Pip's Friendly Tavern". I'd stop in there 20 minutes before closing, or early on a saturday night, or after 2nd shift work on a tuesday, or when the B!*@# I was living with (and she made sure she earned the title) got to be too much, or whenever, or...

And I just was. And the night went on. And I would buy a round for some of my cronies. Or they would, and I'd have one more plastic shotglass stacked in front of me. And maybe we'd step outside and blow one. And maybe not. And hopefully I saw a few old regulars, who probably never knew how glad I was to see them fill the room. And the old owner sold out to a younger, still 50'ish, guy, who's 40-something wife had something going with a 30'ish guy or two simply because they made her feel young and she definitely was worth it, and a couple guys without a clue spoke too much about what they knew nothing of, and a few people that had been there and knew that watched and said nothing, and a Cricket game among friends wasn't being traken nearly seriously enough, and guys were talking of the strippers showing at the Airport Lounge, and I was wondering if me and this one PYT at the 'home' would hit it off or not, and Prince's video was hot enough to have part of it blurred, and the bike ran fukking hot and I'd put an extra 25 miles on it every night as I headed for home, and I had no idea what 'spinal fusion' meant and didn't need to care.....

In nearly any place I've lived, there's a 'Friendly Tavern'.

And on my internet,

it's here.

Sales_Advantage.jpg

Make mine a BV and soda, heavy on the BV, please!
:p

Dragonlord, pull up a stool and let me buy you one!

Shoot Cricket?

Please no! Her face is scaring me off. Even more than the thread chaos!

So... do all of you guys play electric bass? Any uptight players in the house?

Yes, I'm trying to gather more of my kind. I see that you don't want an off topic forum, so next I intend to start a campaign to split the HCBF to one forum for electric and one for uptight.

Yes, I'm trying to gather more of my kind. I see that you don't want an off topic forum, so next I intend to start a campaign to split the HCBF to one forum for electric and one for uptight.

*line 1*

shame shame shame....

*line 2*

fuk off and die, bitch...

I intend to start a campaign to split the HCBF to one forum for electric and one for uptight.

I thought that was why Talkbass existed...for the uptight sorts...

*line 2*

fuk off and die, bitch...

Boy, you sure need to relax. Care to be the moderator in my new uptight forum? :D

Boy, you sure need to relax. Care to be the moderator in my new uptight forum?
:D

Sure, let's walk into your favorite bar and cut it in two...

This question comes up every now and then. This forum is the way it is, and we (the longtime-members) like it like that. You learn to love it :D The chaos is certainly entertaining.

I play double bass as well! Plenty of other doghouse players here too.

It is particularly shameful and pathetic that, on a forum populated by BASS players, it took us that long to notice an incorrectly-drawn bass clef :rolleyes::eek::p

But as it is, that looks like a really badly-done smiley face :D

Nah, leave it the way it is. We're not anal enough to have to compartmentalize everything, and easy going enough to enjoy the variety (spice) of life.