Anyone here play an acoustic (not upright) bass?

leepmeister

• Members

Originally posted by lug

When I got mine, I was able to play 4 strait out of the box. 3 were great and one needed a bit of tweaking. I was impressed with the Kwality Kontrol (at least in that batch). You can get this setup (including case off of ebay for around $220 new sometimes:

johnson.jpg

Nice and cheap...

Yeah but I'll buy one in a store... I'm just the find of person who wants to try before buying... and I'm willing to spend a bit more then that... At the limit, if my budget allow me to get a better instrument but no case, I'll just carry it in it's box for a few months...

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

Nice and cheap...

Yeah but I'll buy one in a store... I'm just the find of person who wants to try before buying... and I'm willing to spend a bit more then that... At the limit, if my budget allow me to get a better instrument but no case, I'll just carry it in it's box for a few months...

I'm the same way. I bought that one at a local store. That's why I got to go thru 4 of them when they came in. I paid abour $250 for mine.

• Members

I have a Martin, and I love it!!! As lug said, they have a tone entirely their own. I wouldn't recommend it as your only bass (although I got by for a couple years with just the Martin) but ABGs a re a great addition to your arsenal.

And I like the Fishman electronics in the Martin as well...

• Members

Originally posted by basshunter

I have a Martin, and I love it!!! As lug said, they have a tone entirely their own. I wouldn't recommend it as your only bass (although I got by for a couple years with just the Martin) but ABGs a re a great addition to your arsenal.

And I like the Fishman electronics in the Martin as well...

What are the pickups in your Martin? Fishman slab piezo? Which pre-amp? Just currrious, comparing w/ my MK.

I LOVE the sound of my MK unplugged, and the volume's not bad when I want it. (Acoustic means want it louder, play it harder, 'cuz there is no volume knob!) The plugged-in tone's pretty good too, but a little crackly.

I'd love to try it with a sound-hole mic setup!

• Members

Originally posted by bassman1956

Which brand do you like?

(I'm taking notes.)

D'Addario. Especially the Series I(nickel) strings. They feel a little smoother than the stainless steel Series II strings. I also go lighter than I do on the electric because tension has a profound effect on string height/action on the acoustic bass guitar. :)

• Members

Originally posted by bassman1956

What are the pickups in your Martin? Fishman slab piezo? Which pre-amp? Just currrious, comparing w/ my MK.

I LOVE the sound of my MK unplugged, and the volume's not bad when I want it. (Acoustic means want it louder, play it harder, 'cuz there is no volume knob!) The plugged-in tone's pretty good too, but a little crackly.

I'd love to try it with a sound-hole mic setup!

I compared a Martin with a MK unplugged... Made the MK so tiny... But here, the Martin is more then twice the price of a Micheal Kelly...

Anyways, do way it goes for me money wise, I guess I'll go with an Ibanez, at least for a few years...