Anyone here play an acoustic (not upright) bass?

leepmeister

• Members

I've spent the last year trying to find a good deal on an acoustic 5'r. I passed on a Washburn AB-35 in august of '03 for $350, and I've been kicking myself ever since. It played amazingly, had a tight low B and there wasnt a dead spot on the neck anywhere...

:(

• Members

just sold my old rogue acoustic and picked up a dean performer fretless acoustic. I've had a lot of luck with dean lately - it's loud, sounds great, and the neck is perfect for me. it's great for just messing around with friends or playing outside during the summer. Goes great with acoustic guitar, too. since I'm toning down lately, selling off all my big gear and going simple, it's a natural choice. I'd recommend it.

• Members

My band does a half dozen "acoustic" gigs per year, complete with three-part vocal harmony. It is amazing how full we sound. I use a p.o.s. Hohner. I paid about $250 used and I have never regretted it. Sometimes people don't want a 5- or 6-piece band with drums, p.a., etc. We generally make the same money per man (or more) playing acoustic.

A third practical application: you hear a song on the radio, you run to unpack your electric, find a cord, plug in the combo amp, and try to play before the song ends. Or, you just pick up your acoustic. :D

• Members

Originally posted by geddyentwistle

the tacoma big chief is the absolute best acoustic bass, and nothing sounds like it

anyone that is remotely considering an acoustic bass must look at the tacoma

I used to have the Olympia (korean ) model of this bass. It was nice ,but I did have and the convinience of having it ready all the time was nice. The Martin is an excellent instrument, however the ones I have seen had no piezo pickup.

• Members

Originally posted by geddyentwistle

the tacoma big chief is the absolute best acoustic bass, and nothing sounds like it

anyone that is remotely considering an acoustic bass must look at the tacoma

That's what I use!:cool:

Just take off that stupid Lexan scratch guard. It's really nothing more than a big piece of packaging tape. Great for the tone!:rolleyes: I put 1/2round strings on it, so it produces a darker warmer tone, like that of an upright. It also eliminates string rattle, so a more aggressive attack may be used.:)

• Members

My acoustic is a "Fender" BG-31. The reason I say "Fender" is because the only thing that distinguishes it from a Squire of the same model is the Fender decal on the headstock. It is ok, but it doesn't have enough volume, and the intonation is slightly off. I do love it's neck though. I can play RHCP much easier on that neck than on my electric. The neck has a similar profile to a J bass neck, except it is set.

I want a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 4 stringer, though.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

I've played a couple. Neat idea, but I see no practical value yet.

Go listen to Violent Femmes. Brian Ritchey will take ya to school.. . .

Guild B30e here. Haven't had it out lately but it's still one of my sweethearts. :)

• Members

I'm getting one as soon as I sell my MIM P-bass...

I was impressed by the value of the latest Ibanez models... I tried the cheapest (AEB8E) and I thought it was sounding better then some other I tried in the same store... Then I saw the price tag and wondered why it was so cheap !

Micheal Kelly basses look great and sound/feel good too...

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

:D

On a more serious note... It's a shame Johnson's are not available around here (never saw one !)... I'd sure try one out.

When I got mine, I was able to play 4 strait out of the box. 3 were great and one needed a bit of tweaking. I was impressed with the Kwality Kontrol (at least in that batch). You can get this setup (including case off of ebay for around $220 new sometimes:

johnson.jpg