Kenny Aaronson appreciation thread

Markee

• Members

Hi everybody,

I caught Kenny playing with John Eddie the other night (I highly recommend seeing them if they come your way), and was blown away by this guy I knew nothing about. Kenny has it all. Show stealing presence, chops for weeks and even sang a Johnny cash song that would make the Ole Man In Black proud.

Kenny was playing an Ibanez RoadStar every which way one could imagine thru a G-K 800 and a single Hartke 4X10 aluminum coned cab and it sounded fabulous! I didn't know who he was when I walked in but I know who he is now and except for the D.B.Cooper vibe he's sporting, he's one to emulate. What a monster on Bass!

Anybody got something to share about Mr. Aaronson?

• Members

I saw him with H.S.A.S, (Hagar, Schon, Aaronson, Shrieve) and he rocked big time. Before that I knew that he was Billy Squire's bass player and I didn't give him too much credit. Seeing him go off with Schon, Hagar and Shrieve though completely changed my mind about him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

That Rick Derringer Live album (from I think 1976) is one of the hottest American rock albums from the 70s. Listened to that one big-time in highschool. In the time between Hendrix's death in '70 and Van Halen's debut in '78 this disc, along with Tommy Bolin's Private Eyes and Teaser albums, totally stand out as great American rock guitar recordings.

I remember my older brother seeing Derringer open up for Aerosmith in '77. Blew them off the stage.

• Members

I've always regarded Kenny Aaronson as a fine player even before I started playing, really. He's one of those guys who simply knows how to play with style, class, and eloquence. This is rarely if ever mentioned or appreciated in this "Flea and Claypool are God" dark age we live in now.

Aaronson used to be on MTV all the time back in the day. I really liked what he did with Billy Squier and I plan to revisit that stuff now. I've seen him do really great live work with Billy Idol, but I don't recall him being on any of Idol's albums.

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

I saw him with H.S.A.S, (Hagar, Schon, Aaronson, Shrieve) and he rocked big time. Before that I knew that he was Billy Squire's bass player and I didn't give him too much credit. Seeing him go off with Schon, Hagar and Shrieve though completely changed my mind about him.

same here! HSAS was a killer rock band. I had the live cassette, I think I need to track that back down.

Archived