Squire Jazz Bass Knobs - What do they do?

thevoice

• Members

I know this may seem like a pretty silly question, but I don't know much about bass guitars (I play guitar..). I picked up a Squire Jazz Bass for my kid sister so she can start learning to play and play in her high school jazz band.

What I can't seem to figure out is what do the knobs on the thing do? It has two pickups, and 3 knobs arranged in a line below. They seem to be some strange combination of volume knobs and a mix knob, or something to that effect..

If anyone has any idea, the help would be much appreciated :)

• 14 years later...
  • Members

So, that's one knob for neck/upper volume, one for main and one for tone.

Good luck with the strings.  When at scales and Whole/half tones work, I use the mnemonic I Do Play Loud Music at Lou's.

that's for Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Aoelin, Lochrian.  You'll understand when there...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 8/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, cavo said:

bought a squire jazz bass,    seems all knobs are tone only...     3 knobs and none alter volume....it is second hand and a pro player owned it b4 me,   is this normal

If that's actually true, then it's wired incorrectly.

As noted above, Jazz wiring is usually volume-volume-tone. Trun them all down, and you should have no output. Starting with them all up, turning one down will change the tone, no matter which one.

Some Jazz basses are wired with one master volume, one pan for varying the pickup balance, and one tone. I've even seen the some old ones have a dual concentric pot for tone, so there's a separate tone control for each pickup, but I doubt you'll run into either of those on a Squier.