Anyone here know Michael Henderson?

johnp352

• Members

I am doing some research into his sound with Miles in the early 70's..specifically the On the Corner envelope filter sound, and the LiveEvil tones, the part recorded live at the Cellar Door in DC in 12/70. I have asked all over the place, but haven't received any replies..especially from some big "tone gurus" who turn out to know {censored} about bass..so- anyone here know Michael, or have a way to ask him a few quick questions about his playing/gear on these sessions?

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

Probably a Fender and a Mu-Tron, but that's just a guess.

It's a Fender jazz with flats..but beyond that..as I posted in Anderton's forum..Mutrons weren't available in the summer of 1972..unless he got one from Mike Beigel..MH was working with Stevie Wonder before Miles..he was in NYC. I wrote and called Beigel, but no response on either. basically..I don't think there were any commercially available ev filters in 1972..but I don't know that for sure. I wonder if it was a Teo Macero invention in the studio..NObody knows the answer to this..and it is an amazing sound..

And the tone on LiveEvil! is it a miked amp..an overdriven DI? od'd TUBE di? both? it was 12/70, so that eliminates a lot of guesses..

it's weird..guitar players know all about the friggin batteries in Stevie Rays toothbrush, but when it comes to real bass tones, nobody has a clue.

• Members

Well, if it's a live record from '70, it's probably a mic'd amp.

Maybe the filter came off a Moog? Those were definitely around, and you can patch just about anything into them as a voltage controller...

Or maybe he's just really quick with a wah pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

Well, if it's a live record from '70, it's probably a mic'd amp.

It sounds like it could be..but the isolation is there..and the response from the bass hitting the pre..sounds like a high end di..

Maybe the filter came off a Moog? Those were definitely around, and you can patch just about anything into them as a voltage controller...

interesting idea..his bass patched into a mini..

Or maybe he's just really quick with a wah pedal.

could be..but the sound/attack really sounds like an ev filter..it's THAT quick..I have mp3's of snips of this..pm me and I'll send you a few.

jp

• Members

He was interviewed in BP at some point within the last year. (it was pretty in depth, a few pages long with discography and gear) If you can get a hold of that back issue you might get your answer or at least there might be a website listed or some contact info.

Archived