small studio bass amp?

thredlok

• Members

Originally posted by platpyus59

I won't be able to reach the knobs!

Much less, get it in the house under the roof/ceiling! :D

Umm...let's see...what's your budget, and what type of tone(s) are you going for? There are many different options.

You could also use a great DI instead of mic'ing your amp, or, do both, which can sound great, as well.

Anyhow...wait to hear from you.

• Members

I've been playing guitar for years and decided to pick up a bass and record some stuff. As for tone -cleaner the better! I would almost prefer a upright sound.

Budget cheap! Doesn't have be great just useable.
;)

Well...

In that case, I think you should get a quality bass DI, and a basic little bass amp for monitoring/practicing.

Here's a little bass amp I own that does this job great (for household practices, small household jams, monitoring, etc.):

146Peavey_Microbass.jpg

This is a 1989 Peavey Microbass I bought back in 2000 or 2001 for $40.00. It has a 3 band eq, and a headphone jack. Just like all Peavey gear, its indestructible, and looks 95% as good as the day it was made. It puts out 20 watts, and to give you an idea for the volume, I took it to a household party/jam last month and played with 4 guitarists, a keyboardist and percussionist. I couldn't turn it above 4 without overpowering everyone.

As far as the DI, this is nearly the industry standard for a great, warm recorded (or live, direct to the soundboard) bass tone:

The Countryman DI

T85_BW_catalog-a0b9214bcb269f93089be950b

If you need a lot of tonal options/tonal shaping (with some overdrive and such), then I'd suggest the Sansamp BDDI:

bddi.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by bassment zombie

In that case, I think you should get a quality bass DI, and a basic little bass amp for monitoring/practicing.

The little Peavey Minx is widely availabe used, and sounds pretty good. They are usually about $100. You can also use the Behringer V-Amp ($99 new) for recording bass direct. Using the CLEAN setting (model) it does quite nicely as a bass preamp.

• Members

I swear by my sansamp, totally killer.

I also use in- ear monitors, so no amp required. I use a $99 four channel mixer, mix in what I want to play to (recording of my band, drum track, whatever) plus my vocals, and bass, all goes to my in ear. Totally silent practice, except when I yodle.

I have to tell you, boys, ever since I went to in -ears my GK400 rb has not been out of the basement. Let the PA do the work!

• Moderators

Originally posted by fishmanrod

I swear by my sansamp, totally killer.

I also use in- ear monitors, so no amp required. I use a $99 four channel mixer, mix in what I want to play to (recording of my band, drum track, whatever) plus my vocals, and bass, all goes to my in ear. Totally silent practice, except when I yodle.

I have to tell you, boys, ever since I went to in -ears my GK400 rb has not been out of the basement. Let the PA do the work!

Do you gig without a bass amp?

• Members

As for tone -cleaner the better! I would almost prefer a upright sound.

Budget cheap! Doesn't have be great just useable.
;)

I use a frankencision w/ flats into an Eden Nemesis combo. I've been using it for years and I still love it every time I plug in. :cool:

BTW, Dean Markley flats have a nice, woody tone. TI's are great too but at twice the price.

• Members

Eden just came out with the N15S. These are $479 and I'm gettin' one in October, about three months ahead of when I was going to get one because I just can't wait. I played one at a dealer in Kent, Ohio and you can get an upright like tone. That's what I'm interested in, too. I can't wait, I can't wait. Did I tell you I can't wait?

• Members

Just like all Peavey gear, its indestructible

I wouldn't quite say it is indestructible. I bought mine used, I think that it is a slightly older model than yours, and the chassis rattles like a mofo and the headphone jack is broken off.

I think that I might try to fix it up one of these days though, since it is a nice little practice amp and is 10 times as light as my BA 115

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

I wouldn't quite say it is indestructible. I bought mine used, I think that it is a slightly older model than yours, and the chassis rattles like a mofo and the headphone jack is broken off.

I think that I might try to fix it up one of these days though, since it is a nice little practice amp and is 10 times as light as my BA 115

I stand corrected...

RELATIVELY SPEAKING among bass gear items/brands, Peavey is indestructible :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

Ampeg B15N - the studio standard.

ampegB15.jpg

Big +1

A studio where I recorded recently has one just like that. Really nice tone with my P-bass. The engineer ran two lines to the mixer, 1 with the B-15 miked with a SM-57 and the other direct to the console. Depending on the song he used either the line signal or the miked amp and sometimes a combination of both.

• Members

I stand corrected...

RELATIVELY SPEAKING among bass gear items/brands, Peavey is indestructible
:rolleyes:

I don't think that it was because it was a Peavey, I think that it was because of the dumbass that had it before me tore the crap out of it and then sold it to the pawn shop that I got it from.

• Members

Originally posted by Bag_End

Big +1

A studio where I recorded recently has one just like that. Really nice tone with my P-bass. The engineer ran two lines to the mixer, 1 with the B-15 miked with a SM-57 and the other direct to the console. Depending on the song he used either the line signal or the miked amp and sometimes a combination of both.

Hell yea! +1

But for this guy, who wants 'budget cheap! doesn't have to be great, just usable'...I don't think a vintage B-15N fits the criteria, for obvious reasons.

Archived