Recommend a Light Weight Rig

BoundandBlocked

• Members

Well, my current rig is doing quite a number on my back and I'm considering starting over and getting a new (lighter) one. Does anyone have any ideas for a rig that would sound similar to what I have, but wouldn't be so heavy? How are the Eden Nemesis 410 combos? 62 lbs. looks pretty nice to my back. Any suggestions?

• Members

Well the 2x10 is bloody great!

You can carry it with the top strap only in one hand!

I reckon if you can afford it that 2 x 2x10s would be way better than a 4x10 as the 4x10 is still only 225w or something.

Great amp.. very light.. beaut sound.

:)

• Members

I like the combo of a nice head, like a GK, GB or whatever flavor you prefer, along with compact cabs. I'm a fan of 12" speakers, and I think the Aguilar 1x12's are a great scalable system. You can also go with 2x10 and 1.15 cabs for a scalable solution.

In my opinion, the problem with a 4x10 combo would be the size, even if it is light. Large combos can be awkward to move and hard to transport and store. I'd go separates, like what T-Broom suggested.

Dustin

• Members

when i finally get enough cash together to build a smaller rig (im still building my main one) ill eventually go with something along the lines of an SWR 350x in a Dr bass BL1260 with teh built in rack spaces, that way it will still be a combo

small, loud and somewhat lightweight. It will be my practice/small gig amp, and ill reserve the use of my Ampeg/Eden rig for the full shows

• Members

I'm unsure what my budget will be. It kind of depends on what my financial advisor (wife) thinks is a good budget for bass gear--probably around $1000 though. I've thought about going the Avatar route, but I'm nervous buying something that I've never played. I see used Avatars at Guitar Center occasionally, but I've never played one. I figure I'd have to get a couple Avatar cabs to equal the one cab I have now. If I get two cabs, I'll probably need more power and then I might as well just go separate pre/power amps and then I'm probably looking at well over $1000. Any thoughts?

• Members

Originally posted by The Insomniac

Don't over look 12's. I have an Avatar B212 and it's a great cab. They also make it with Neo's which will save you about 10 lbs. I haven't heard the Neo's though.

I've thought about 12's, but I'm thinking that I might end up with two smaller cabs at which point I might be better off with 10's and 15's vs. a lot of 12's. I just don't know though. I've never played 12's.

As a side note, I usually play with no PA support and occasionally play outside, so I need a lot of power and volume from my rig.

• Members

Originally posted by BoundandBlocked

I've thought about 12's, but I'm thinking that I might end up with two smaller cabs at which point I might be better off with 10's and 15's vs. a lot of 12's. I just don't know though. I've never played 12's.

As a side note, I usually play with no PA support and occasionally play outside, so I need a lot of power and volume from my rig.

This is what I'm using and I'm very happy with it. Avatar B210 on top of a B212. I really like the 12's over a 15. They are punchy as hell and still real deep.

00_newrig.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by BoundandBlocked

Are all Avatar cabs slot ported? How do those cabs compare sound-wise to the SVT-410HLF?

slots - yes, I think so.

How do those cabs compare sound-wise to the SVT-410HLF? someone else might need to help you here. My experence with Ampeg cabs is in music stores only - not gigging.

• Members

Originally posted by The Insomniac

This is what I'm using and I'm very happy with it. Avatar B210 on top of a B212. I really like the 12's over a 15. They are punchy as hell and still real deep.

I second this, and also have a B212 with a neo210 on top of it. The B212 is a great stand alone cab- deep like the 15's I've played but much more full and punchy. It's not the lightest, but it's not a back breaker like a 410. I'm really diggin' what these two cabs sound like lately. Not sure how they'd compare to the Eden cabs though...

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

I get lots of compliments on the sound of my 17 lb GK head into my 38 lb Eden 1x12. With the bass in a gig bag hung over my shoulder I can get it all in one trip.

J the D wins the "one hand free for beer on the way out the door" award! :D

Some jazz guitarists I know have this running joke/competition trying to achieve exactly this. :D

Btw, how low does your Eden 112 go, frequency wise -- is it the XLT? Eden's site says the XLT gets to 32 Hz - does that sound aboutright? :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

I get lots of compliments on the sound of my 17 lb GK head into my 38 lb Eden 1x12. With the bass in a gig bag hung over my shoulder I can get it all in one trip.

Meh, my 14 pound Eden head and 20 pound cab rule the school.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by petch

I use an Eden WT-550 and Begantino HT/EX 112's. 500 watts; 20/39/36 lbs. Punchy, warm and louder than you might believe. But pricey! I switched to 12's after 25 years with 15's.

Petch...

How would you review your Bergies? Enough bottom for your taste?

I am considering downsizing to two 12s and am digging Aguilar so far, but want to learn more about the berg 12s.

Thansk! :cool:

• Members

The Nemesis 410 combo is almost perfect. Great sound, lots of volume( probably more than you have now.),light weight and not too big. My only complaint is no clip light. These things are super efficient making them much louder than anything else in its class.

• Members

The Bergs respond very well to boosting the bass on the amp. They are not the most bassy cabs, and my understanding is that the Ags have 'mo booty. My taste in bass sound has changed, and I find that a more cutting sound is now my cup 'o tea. I'm not sure I can play 15's anymore. The Bergs are smaller than the Ags and really easy to transport. Their web site has many, many comments from very satisfied users. I got mine from Evan at Bass Northwest (along with the Eden head). They are great guys there and customer service is what they are all about. :)

Archived