wiring is a biotch....

xdamagexx

• Members

Originally posted by xdamagexx

im installing some EMG 35DC pickups and preamp into my schecter.. i thought i did it all right but no sound as usual... what im i doing wrong. whats a common problem most peeps over look,..? any sugestions? thanx

m/

Be super methodical and look for crappy, dull solder joints.

• Members

battery circuit needs to be sound...

check the power connections and that you dont have the red going to ground too soon...:)

my method is start afresh

unsolder everything....

sit back and look at the problem...start afresh..

check with a meter as you go...

ps a dead or incorrectly wired pot can kill the signal...dont wire it backwards

i take it you have two vols and a tone...or two tones...

or is there a eq onboard as well...

its all to do with keeping live signals live till they do their work:cool:

• Members

check the silly things first

did you stick in a battery?

is the amp plugged in and working, all leads fine? (use another bass to check)

all knobs and the like turned up

go through the rest of the chain and check everything, then go back to the wiring, slowly go through everything and doublecheck it is wired as the instructions say

far too many times i have spent ages frantically going through everything when i get no sound to find i had the guitars volume at zero, or plugged the wrong lead into the amp (or none at all) or countless other stupid small things

if you are wiring it up, take you time, do everythign slowly and methodically, if you try getting it done fast you will just end up making mistakes and getting frustrated, which gets you making more mistages, etc...

David

• Members

thanx for the post... when i installed my preamp and pickups into my olp it all went smooth.. but this one is a biotch... and to answer your question Mrcrow. i want 2 vols. and 2 tones... soo i have to hook them all together right? im trying to wire it as an 18 volt also.. i read the instructions and i did the battery part right.. or so EMG says. but where do i ground it too.. the diagram just shows grounding to the jack but i have a wire from my bridge.. would i ground it to both tones? i tryed it to one tone last night and nuthing.. im a rookie. so its pretty frustrating.. but i will get.. thanx for the insite... i will probley take it all out and do it again.

m/

• Members

Originally posted by xdamagexx

thanx for the post... when i installed my preamp and pickups into my olp it all went smooth.. but this one is a biotch... and to answer your question Mrcrow. i want 2 vols. and 2 tones... soo i have to hook them all together right? im trying to wire it as an 18 volt also.. i read the instructions and i did the battery part right.. or so EMG says. but where do i ground it too.. the diagram just shows grounding to the jack but i have a wire from my bridge.. would i ground it to both tones? i tryed it to one tone last night and nuthing.. im a rookie. so its pretty frustrating.. but i will get.. thanx for the insite... i will probley take it all out and do it again.

m/

the ground will go to the sleeve connection on the jack, with teh ground from the circuits to the ring connection, so whe you stick in a normal (ie mono, not stereo) jack it connects the two, when no jack is inserted the ground from the battery is connected to nothing. this is to stop the battery draining when you arent playing,plug in the jack and it completels the circuit

the ground from the bridge is attached to the circuits ground, so to the jack would be fine - the 'ground' not connected to the battery when there is no jack inserted

if that makes no sense, give me a shout and i can explain better (with the help of doodles)

David

• Members

Wiring is simple. Just hook the wires to the spots where wires need to be:

like the FDVK wiring:

fdvkwire.jpg

or the G&L wiring

gandlwire.jpg

simple, really.

seriously, make sure the ground is being applied when the chord is plugged in, this usually completes the power circuit for the battery

Archived