MIA fender p bass

wilki29`

• Members

Each year has their dogs and gods, I don't think that there's a best year. I've played 73's that play like crap and will never be good basses. My '03 is one of the best J's feeling and sounding J's that I've ever layed my hands on.

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

Each year has their dogs and gods, I don't think that there's a best year. I've played 73's that play like crap and will never be good basses. My '03 is one of the best J's feeling and sounding J's that I've ever layed my hands on.

I've got an '02/'03 Jazz that just sounds and plays perfectly.

• Members

I'll ditto the quality control concern. I don't know why they vary so much.

I've seen an American P-bass with the neck pocket routed so crookedly that the G string was nearly off of the fretboard at the body (no the neck hadn't slid, the pocket was tight). It sounded GREAT, though. I think it was a late 70's model.

• Members

my '97 american standard. :cool:

i'm a firm believer that you need to play an instrument to know if it's the right one, because i've played good and bad versions of every bass i love. fender is particularly hit or miss in this respect.

• Members

Originally posted by wilki29`

has anyone played the newest p bass they have made? If so how are they?

Nope. I have a new Jazz that I got in April. It's top-notch. Esthetically, the maple on the neck is pale like a lot of Mexican Fenders. But the tone is outstanding and everything seems to be up to MIA quality. It's perhaps a smidge lighter than my '03 Jazz.

• Members

if you're talking about the american series with that s-1 bull{censored} switch, i've played several and don't dig them.

my next bass will likely be a fender jazz, and to be perfectly honest the only brand new ones i dig are the geddy lee basses. i'd prefer used, but if i can't find one i like, geddy it is. :p

• CMS Author

I've got an '04. I love it, and I get more positive comments on my tone with it than my Ric.

BTW lay off the S-1 switch. It works, it changes the tone as much as it can, and if you don't like it, don't press the {censored}ing button.

As for one year being better than another, Fender has been around longer than anyone, and has probably made more instruments than anyone....and their history has had its ups and downs. It follows that the instruments will vary too, and the differences are probably more marked when the instrument you buy today looks essentially identical to what they made 50 years ago.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by s4001

For whatever reason. I've always heard that '83 and '97 were good years for Fender USA. Dunno why. Every 83 & 97 I've played has been a gem, though.

'68 for Rickenbacker if anyone's interested.
;)

Now there's a challenge.....find a Ric that was done wrong. I owned a new '77 4001, and have an '01 4003 and aside from the color (jet v fire) every construction detail on the new is exactly what the old one was like.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

BTW lay off the S-1 switch. It works, it changes the tone as much as it can, and if you don't like it, don't press the {censored}ing button.

hahahaha settle down beavis.

i like my fenders as simple as possible, volume, tone, and well that's about it. ;)

Archived