would i be happy with a Peavey 410TX?

ToeJamFootball

• Members

Slightly scooped in the mids, great bottom end for it's size. Not much can touch it for the money. If you are looking for a standalone 4X10, look no further (unless you can find the TVX or TXF model).

edit: One difference is that they run a true crossover, not just a lowpass filter to the horn, so you want to use some horn (adjustible) for top end definition.

• Members

Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

probably - im super happy with mine.

scooped sound, HUGE low end, the HF unit is pretty hyperactive unless you turn it right down (almost off actually)

I put mine at about 1/2 and adjust from amp EQ. All the highs I need.

• Members

They are great cabs. I played through one for years and I finaly broke down abd got the Pro-410. WHOOOAA! it is the only cab I need. Heavy mother, but worth it.

But the 410 TVX is great too....I've aways said it and will still stand by it, Peavey makes best stuff for the money and is as always built like a tank.

• Members

Originally posted by Munkeyfish

I've aways said it and will still stand by it, Peavey makes best stuff for the money and is as always built like a tank.

i cant think of anyone here that will argue with that quote... people have dropped amps down the stairs and they have still worked... they do make a solid piece of gear...

• Members

Although this isn't my current front-burner cab, I've enjoyed using a 410 TX over the last 10 years or so. Like others have said, there's a bit of a mid scoop in the sound. However, a while back, based on advice from a member of The Bottom Line forum, I modified the crossover very easily to make the 10" speakers full range, which took a lot of that scoop out. Basically it had to do with bypassing that part of the crossover (a large inductor) that blocked high frequencies from the 10" drivers (referred to generally as a low pass component). Early on I put permanent casters on it, and I've also experimented with altering the wiring of the 10" speakers to be able to run them as two separately powered pairs (both 4 ohm impedance loads), with two separate inputs, so I could run them with my old Hartke 7000 amp (which contains basically two 350 watt amps), which does not allow for running in "bridge" mode, and wowee, this setup really kicked after a mod like that! It's a perfectly usable cab.

• Members

Originally posted by whacker

Although this isn't my current front-burner cab, I've enjoyed using a 410 TX over the last 10 years or so. Like others have said, there's a bit of a mid scoop in the sound. However, a while back, based on advice from a member of The Bottom Line forum, I modified the crossover very easily to make the 10" speakers full range, which took a lot of that scoop out. Basically it had to do with bypassing that part of the crossover (a large inductor) that blocked high frequencies from the 10" drivers (referred to generally as a low pass component).

The main diff in sound of the TX and the newer TVX is that the crossover point between the speakers and the tweeter was moved higher and the ports were moved to the front. They use a real crossover (as opposed to a high pass filter to the tweeter) to get a flatter response. The downside is that if the tweeter goes, you loose some top end area you might want. Your method is probably a really good idea for those that want to crank the tweeter down. I have a TX and a TXF and you can definately hear the difference due to the moved crossover point.

• Members

Originally posted by whacker

Although this isn't my current front-burner cab, I've enjoyed using a 410 TX over the last 10 years or so. Like others have said, there's a bit of a mid scoop in the sound. However, a while back, based on advice from a member of The Bottom Line forum, I modified the crossover very easily to make the 10" speakers full range, which took a lot of that scoop out. Basically it had to do with bypassing that part of the crossover (a large inductor) that blocked high frequencies from the 10" drivers (referred to generally as a low pass component). Early on I put permanent casters on it, and I've also experimented with altering the wiring of the 10" speakers to be able to run them as two separately powered pairs (both 4 ohm impedance loads), with two separate inputs, so I could run them with my old Hartke 7000 amp (which contains basically two 350 watt amps), which does not allow for running in "bridge" mode, and wowee, this setup really kicked after a mod like that! It's a perfectly usable cab.

Welcome to HCBF :wave:

ToeJam, the Peavey will rock your socks off! :mad:

• Members

Slight hijack here...

Why is Peavey stuff so frowned upon in the musician world? It's always seemed to be in the black sheep crowd to me, along with Crate, etc.

A good example is this quote from Kim Deal:

"EVERYBODY HATES MY PEAVEY AMP!" - KIM DEAL ( http://guitargeek.com/rigview/342/ )

That is mostly the consensus, although many musicians will also say they make solid gear...and their bass stuff seems great.

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Tag

Slight hijack here...

Why is Peavey stuff so frowned upon in the musician world? It's always seemed to be in the black sheep crowd to me, along with Crate, etc.

A good example is this quote from Kim Deal:

"EVERYBODY HATES MY PEAVEY AMP!" - KIM DEAL (
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/342/
)

That is mostly the consensus, although many musicians will also say they make solid gear...and their bass stuff seems great.

:confused:

the market still doesn't seem to have quite come around to just how good Peavey stuff has become of late

which is great if you're looking to buy used stuff :)

• Members

I know what you mean about the negative feelings towards Crate, but I've never caught that vibe about Peavey products. I think Peavey stuff is excellent.

My friend bought one of those Peavey 4x10s and a Yorkville tube head; I went to check out their band practice the day he got it all paid off and brought home. As I was walking towards the shed I could hear massive bass; I was thinking "damn what is that, that sounds like him and his P-bass but he never had that much low end and balls".. sounds like a great cab to me.. if I can't put together the Sunn rig I want I would definitely go with Peavey to match all the Peavey basses and cables and guitar amps and P.A. monitors I have laying around:thu:

• Members

I use two stacked Peavey 410 TVX cabinets. I like 'm a lot but I must say that I've never used other cabinets. They sound deep, yet very articulate. I turned the tweeter down to zero... I don't miss them highs.

I always ask myself if the Ampeg SVT810E would sound better for my purpose (I love vintage tones) but I doubt it would have more low-end.

Archived