Ampeg PR-1832HE - any opinions?

system_effect

• Members

hey guys,

i found a few of these Ampeg PR-1832HE for sale for a pretty reasonable price. it looks like a pretty sweet cab (minus the fact that it weighs 170lbs):

* 18" subwoofer

* Two 10" woofers

* Two 6.5" drivers

* HF horn

* Operates full range or biamped

* 1/4" and Neutrik Speakon connectors

* HF protection

The reviews on HC speak highly of it, but there are only three: HC reviews

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this cab.

• Members

My sole experience is with one cabinet, which was used but in like new condition, take it for what it's worth (probably very little).

This cab had been taken care of, not a scratch on it. It was huge, getting it from place to place would be interesting. There was very obvious speaker buzz at the low volumes used in a music store, with a 5 string bass and a low wattage amp. I would doubt it had been abused given its physical condition. You might need to consider that somewhere down the road you may need to replace the speakers, and factor this into the price you pay for the cab.

It was from Ampeg's adventurous period, they made some interesting designs for a while. I have an Isovent cab, much smaller than the 1832 but it sounded pretty good stock; with a speaker swap it now sounds awesome. The horn blew twice, once under warranty and was replaced. The 2nd time I just left it dead, I don't really miss it.

Archived